Doctor Tells Sen. Lautenburg: Cancel Your Opposition to the Electronic Cigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris From Cali

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Chair of tobacco Control Group Asks Senator to Reconsider Ban
In a fax dated March 27, the Chair of the tobacco Control Group for the American Association of Public Health Physicians, Dr Joel L. Nitzkin, stated that he "vigorously" opposed Senator Lautenburg's proposal that the Electronic Cigarette be withdrawn from sale.

In the letter to the Senator, the doctor agreed that there needed to be stricter controls over both the manufacture of electronic cigarettes and the claims Doctor Tells Sen. Lautenburg: Cancel Your Opposition to the Electronic Cigarette made by e-cigarette retailers.

However, he also stated that, given the low smoking cessation rates amongst habitual smokers both with and without smoking cessation aids, alternatives to smoking should not be banned.

Available evidence, the doctor argued, appears to indicate that alternatives to smoking, including the electronic cigarette, are far safer than smoking cigarettes.

"Alternative nicotine delivery devices, including, but not limited to electronic cigarettes, have no products of combustion and none of the toxins in cigarette tobacco... As best we can tell, on the basis of currently available research data, these products promise a risk of illness and death well under 1% of the risk posed by cigarettes."

Senator Lautenburg, who received over $126,000 in campaign funding from pharmecutical companies, recently wrote a letter to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requesting that the electronic cigarette be taken off the market until proven safe.

Source: Doctor Tells Sen. Lautenburg: Cancel Your Opposition to the Electronic Cigarette - Associated Content

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
"Alternative nicotine delivery devices, including, but not limited to electronic cigarettes, have no products of combustion and none of the toxins in cigarette tobacco... As best we can tell, on the basis of currently available research data, these products promise a risk of illness and death well under 1% of the risk posed by cigarettes."

That is powerful statement to make and a very encouraging one to say the least. But for every doctor that has something good to say, I am sure there will be 10 other doctors to refute it. Strange how the doctors that refute this claim and say that e-cigs are a hazardous have no evidence to cite to support their stance ---Sun

LiquidVapor

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
New York
www.eliquidplanet.com
That is powerful statement to make and a very encouraging one to say the least. But for every doctor that has something good to say, I am sure there will be 10 other doctors to refute it.
Yes, this is a very powerful statement, and although it is true that there may be 10 doctors to refute every one doctor, if the one that says good things has credentials like this guy who is the Chair of Tobacco Control Group, that in itself carries as much weight as several no name docs condemning the ecig....at least hope it does :)

chokmah

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2009
Austin Texas
I agree that this is powerful. Honestly those that smoke will most likely return to analogs if they did ban PV. This doctor and our personal doctors see this as well. My husbands chemo doctor said "if that electronic one works for you and you dont smoke then great" and mine was "well it seems better than the alternative of smoking" ... Lets just hope this gets some traction..

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada

Steph2323

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montgomery County Pa
Anybody motivated to write this info up as a press release and post it online where folks on this forum could copy it and fax to local media outlets?

This is a great idea. My mind isn't working too well on my pain meds or I would offer to do it. But if someone does it, I'll send to as many news outlets as possible. I think it's exactly what needs to happen.
Stephanie

NicoNut

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia USA
This is not just "any" Doctor! This is great! I'm pretty sure KDMickey already knows as the Doc told him he was working on it, and would keep him in the loop. Dr. Nitzkin sent KDMickey a rough draft of the letter, it's here somewhere. I'm thinking this was all happening the night when most everyone else was attending the wrestling match(round 1, I believe).

Thanks so much contacting him KDMickey! and thanks for posting it Chris!

Last edited:

KDMickey

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Denver, CO, USA
:oops:

Thank you all for your kind words of support and appreciation. I only did what I am sure all of you would have done in my situation. I will say Dr. Nitzkin was already aware and working on the issue when I contacted him. I was fortunate enough to discover the American Association of Public Health Physicians because, as and addictions counselor, I read a lot of websites about addiction and drug legislation. I found an open letter to congress that Dr. Nitzkin wrote about the current bill for the FDA to regulate tobacco, and I thought he may be a good advocate in our plight.

I encourage everyone to search for public health authorities, addiction authorities, psychologists, government representatives, etc. who may be able to help us. We need advocates, and the only way we'll get them is if we ask.

Cheers,
-Mickey

hoodala

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
AZ
ecigarettecigar.com
I encourage everyone to search for public health authorities, addiction authorities, psychologists, government representatives, etc. who may be able to help us. We need advocates, and the only way we'll get them is if we ask.

I agree wholeheartedly. When I saw the Senator's letter to the FDA, I immediately sent him an email. I also contacted my State's legislators. The best way to protect our rights is to speak up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread