Downtown Charleston, SC
blowing-a-raspberry-smiley-emoticon.gif

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
@Vaughn, or anyone who has a clue, what would you use to clean bone?

Obviously nothing abrasive, nothing that will change the color.

Little smudge near the fire button that I've decided I can live with; but just outside of he 510 plate eliquid seems to be causing discoloration.

I do my best to avoid over-squonking, clean routinely, want to stay ahead of a potential issue. Of course I could consider it building "character" though I'd prefer not.

Thanks

BTW no such issue with the horn...

I agree with element's suggestion of peroxide. If you want to attempt to get the liquid stain off without whitening, try a bit of white vinegar on a q-tip. Be sure to rinse very well and soak in plain water overnight after. If you have an ultrasonic, you could give that a go with plain hot water instead of soaking. Plain white toothpaste or baking soda paste to polish if you are not fond of the Brasso odor.

Thanks Peng! :thumb: i could not figure out how to do that! :facepalm: At least not from my iPad. :)

I use Chrome on my iPad and can get the image open in a new tab, then post the picture here by inserting the URL.

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
I haven't had the first problem with either of the 510s in my VR Mods as well. Perform exactly as designed with no leaking.

Neither have I seen leaking, though I have experienced wonkiness with one of the FD 510's. Vaughn's Customer Service Guy [emoji6] is amazing promptly resolving all issues.

I believe, though, we need to be establishing an information resource here so VR can spend his best time doing what he does best. If in doubt, ask. As time passes answers will be correct and relatively instantaneous: right'cher. [emoji41]

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
Been a busy weekend, and a lot has happened here!
On the bone thing, I understand that hydrogen peroxide is an often used treatment when bone collectors are cleaning and prepping their bones, and causes no ill effects on the bone. This would be good place to start! Ammonia solution of any kind is ineffective and does degrade the bone, and turns it's surface to powder as it breaks down the bone structure, not a good idea to try. I do not have a bone capped mod so I can't comment on this issue, so I will have to rely on those with them to report on success with this. Some yellowing may occur over time as with bone jewelry, although I have seen carved bone pendants worn for a decade in constant contact with body oils, that have yellowed slightly but not in a bad way. I will be keen to hear progress reports of those mods already out there!

The v5 510 is the other important thing at the moment, I decided last night to complete my 26650 mod with the v5 so I know exactly how they go, so was working on it till 4am this morning, and back on it now for finish tonight and set up tomorrow along with the other 3 that are being sent out. I cannot post out a 510 that i'm not using, so I need some experience with these before the others are received.
The copper saddle is a great idea, as the eyes can be pried apart slightly to firmly grab the feed tube (as recommended by FD), with the main issue as I see it being that as the atomizer is screwed into the 510, the feed tube is pushed down, along with the saddle and leaf contact. Therefore the leaf has to be springy enough that it will maintain contact with the copper rod despite any difference in atomizer 510 length. I will be using sterling silver for these, cut thin enough to flex, and soldered into the saddle. These will be easy to bend very slightly if necessary to suit the atomizer in use, and can also be pushed up or down the feed tube. The rod end will have side 'wings' curved down to locate itself solidly on the top of the rod, and not be able to slide off to the side. I will report back on this tomorrow with pics....

Last edited:

element77

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Atl, Ga
50/50 peroxide soak overnight did the trick, bone is nice and white again.
Rinsed off with hot water and now drying on a paper towel.
However I did develop some rust on the magnets.
The chrome is quite thin on them and just the edge developed, but that spread quickly overnight resulting in a tiny portion flaking. Cleaned the rust build up right off.
Next time I may wipe a dab of grease on them for protection. But I'll test the waters first to see if the grease has any effect in the solution prior to dropping in the bone cap.
Maybe an organic lard would work...

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
50/50 peroxide soak overnight did the trick, bone is nice and white again.
Rinsed off with hot water and now drying on a paper towel.
However I did develop some rust on the magnets.
The chrome is quite thin on them and just the edge developed, but that spread quickly overnight resulting in a tiny portion flaking. Cleaned the rust build up right off.
Next time I may wipe a dab of grease on them for protection. But I'll test the waters first to see if the grease has any effect in the solution prior to dropping in the bone cap.
Maybe an organic lard would work...

Clear nail polish on those magnets would do a better job and you would not have to worry about it affecting the solution as long as you gave it an hour to dry first. You could then remove the nail polish very carefully with remover (acetone) afterward on the surface of the magnets. The area closest to the bone would eventually chip off without need to worry about getting remover too close to the bone.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Wouldn't the acetone rust the magnets?

As long as you are not aggressive with the use of it, and not allowing it to sit on the bare surface it shouldn't cause issues. You have to be careful, though. If you are too vigorous it could remove plating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread