Smok X Cube II 160watt TC Bluetooth $55.9 coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
It's not a bad device, as long as you know you need to apply a temperature offset, and as long as you can use an up-to-date Android or iOS device (with Bluetooth 4) to enable Titanium, and soon - hopefully - Stainless Steel support.

For $60-odd for a dual battery, chunky all-metal device, which allows TCR adjustment and will (again hopefully) go all the way down to Stainless Steel, it's pretty good.

You just need to know what you're getting into in advance and roll with the punches - such as having to downgrade firmware when an upgrade turns out to be completely broken :)

Reactions: AlaskaVaper

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Ofcourse european vendors are selling it at 112 dollars.

urgh

tempted to take the fasttech risk and just order from them.

Yeah go for FastTech - it doesn't have built in batteries so it will ship on the fastest routes. I have ordered my Smok Koopor from FT.

(But $112 is an especially bad price, I paid $90 in the UK for mine and we normally pay more than most places in the world. And I've seen it listed some places for £55 / $84)

Reactions: AlaskaVaper

pevinsghost

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2015
St Louis, MO
So I did the update, they did remove ti from the device menu, but is still available from the app. There is also an option for stainless steel in the app, but selecting it says is not been purchased. I am holding out for them adding it as an in app purchase with an app update.

My trick of doubling TCR and halving target temp no longer works, but reducing ti TCR the minimum, target temp to minimum, and then reducing initial ohm a little produces a good Vape. The temperature control seems much much smoother. Will play with it some more and report back again.

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
Just picked one up for $50.19 Free priority mail in the states, go to Vaping Cheap and it will give you links to get it. You have to use the coupon code at check out, ordered it Mon, night and seen it shipped this morning. I should have it by Friday. This is the lowest I have seen it and for $50 shipped I will add another to the ever growing collection.

JoeBattams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Northampton- UK
They've now released 1.091 on their site, haven't tried it yet to see if it fixes the issue with losing Titanium as am at work, but am assuming that's what it's for! At least they are quick at rectifing issues, but it's not really an excuse for not even testing a function that is marketed by them as one of the main 'features' of their device!

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
I think they're using the mobile app paradigm of patching. Plug big holes/add features fast, and then let the community find the stuff you missed.

While it's annoying to the end user and a bit damaging to the developer's reputation at times, it does in general end up with better results faster and cheaper than the traditional "build, lengthy internal test, public beta test, release" model.

And, if you'll notice, Evolv is doing the same thing with Escribe, though with a lot better line of communication with the end users thanks to no language barrier.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I think they're using the mobile app paradigm of patching. Plug big holes/add features fast, and then let the community find the stuff you missed.

While it's annoying to the end user and a bit damaging to the developer's reputation at times, it does in general end up with better results faster and cheaper than the traditional "build, lengthy internal test, public beta test, release" model.

And, if you'll notice, Evolv is doing the same thing with Escribe, though with a lot better line of communication with the end users thanks to no language barrier.

C'mon now, be fair. Evolv is releasing beta versions of new features which are clearly communicated as beta updates. This is industry standard. A user can choose to try a beta or stick with known good production software until the beta is tested and released to production.

In contrast, Smok is hyping new features implicitly in a production release that breaks the software in such obvious ways that it's also obvious no pre-release testing was done. That's not a language barrier issue.

Last edited:

JoeBattams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Northampton- UK
C'mon now, be fair. Evolv is releasing beta versions of new features which are clearly communicated as beta updates. This is industry standard. A user can choose to try a beta or stick with known good production software until the beta is tested and released to production.

In contract, Smok is hyping new features implicitly in a production release that breaks the software in such obvious ways that it's also obvious no pre-release testing was done. That's not a language barrier issue.

I agree with both of you; I think Smok are trying to do a good job, though their self-promotion on their site is a little nauseating, but it's the same with a lot of these chinese companies it seems (e.g. The 'Best'/ The 'First' etc etc), and to be honest their websitesite and speed at which they fix bugs is pretty good- just look at P4Y's horrible website- doesn't inspire confidence at all!- Nor does YiHi's to be honest!

The fact that they released an update within a few hours (i'm assuming to Fix Ti!) shows I think that they want their device to be well received and liked (and purchased!!) by the community, but you'd have thought they'd have tested such a simple thing in house before releasing it...

It comes across that they want to be bleeding edge (no other company as far as I know has a bluetooth companion app with all these features), but perhaps dont have the experience- am sure they'll get there in the end!!

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I agree with both of you; I think Smok are trying to do a good job, though their self-promotion on their site is a little nauseating, but it's the same with a lot of these chinese companies it seems (e.g. The 'Best'/ The 'First' etc etc), and to be honest their websitesite and speed at which they fix bugs is pretty good- just look at P4Y's horrible website- doesn't inspire confidence at all!- Nor does YiHi's to be honest!

The fact that they released an update within a few hours (i'm assuming to Fix Ti!) shows I think that they want their device to be well received and liked (and purchased!!) by the community, but you'd have thought they'd have tested such a simple thing in house before releasing it...

It comes across that they want to be bleeding edge (no other company as far as I know has a bluetooth companion app with all these features), but perhaps dont have the experience- am sure they'll get there in the end!!

Being a tinkerer myself in my spare time and enjoying that process, I know and can recognize the difference between engineering a product and just putting something together to see what it does. Unfortunately, Smok seems to be doing the latter. They do have great ideas but they need to hire some folks with the discipline to dig in and do the math, establish rigor and handle all the boring drudgery of actually coming up with a mass produced consumer device engineered to a performance spec. If they get the right people on board in their back rooms away from the marketing hype of the front office, they might come up with something great. Right now their development shop comes off as two high school kids in a garage with some "rad sick ideas man" lol.

pevinsghost

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2015
St Louis, MO
Got the new phone app, but have not got v1.091. The new phone app update does indeed have a purchase option for SS, $0.99. Still not a deal breaker.

Tcr on SS mode does not match tcr in TI mode, but with a little fiddling is giving a good vape without a temp adjustment.

This has been your morning optimistic update. Next up, weather and a squirrel on water skis.

JoeBattams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Northampton- UK
Right now their development shop comes off as two high school kids in a garage with some "rad sick ideas man" lol.

Yeah, fair enough, I love gadgets and tinckering myself too, and that's why I'm so so so so so excited about the DNA 200!! I think that's probably what a lot of these new companies are like though- I've pre-ordered a Cloudmaker Whiteout and was a little dismayed when watching their 'Makertalk' that they all look about 12! Fair enough, at that age you are optimistic and self-confident, and have loads of good ideas, but sometimes you need a degree of life experience and realism/ pessimism! ;)

JoeBattams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Northampton- UK
P.S. MS- I am in awe of your talent- there are loads of people who say- "Yeah I'll just strip out it's guts and stick a DNA*/ SX* in it", but that's mostly false bravado- you actually DID it, and with little fanfare too! Looks from your pic like you've got a nice little setup/ workshop! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread