Thoughts on best dual 18650 mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
Wish I would have bought that the other day as my cheap work mod. This ipv D2 I bought is very disappointing.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition
My ipv d2 is a current work horse. Is it bad if its my most powerful mod right now? Looking to get an xcube 2 soon ha-ha.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
Explain the ipv 3 li and snow wolf then

As far as the Snow Wolf is concerned it uses PWM for anything over 150w, long story short it pulses when over 100w. In fact, I've noticed it under 50w in TC mode.

On another note I really don't see the purpose of all thses high watt boxes with TC, I'd prefer something smoother vs high power. Also IMO in regards to the above comment about SMY, I think my SMY 60 TC Mini is better than my Snow Wolf in every way.

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Note the clarifier "safely".

200W from 6.4V = 31.25A draw. That leaves only one battery that can do it when brand new (VTC4) and no room for battery ageing.
I thought two batteries put together you like up the amp. Therefore like two fresh charged vtc4 can do like 40 amps in series. What's the amp rating on those lipo batteries. I don't trust lipos too much. It's unnerving my phone has one but a credit card machine on a plane blew up and caught it on fire. Saw it on the news. Thank god they hadn't taken off yet

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
As far as the Snow Wolf is concerned it uses PWM for anything over 150w, long story short it pulses when over 100w. In fact, I've noticed it under 50w in TC mode.

On another note I really don't see the purpose of all thses high watt boxes with TC, I'd prefer something smoother vs high power. Also IMO in regards to the above comment about SMY, I think my SMY 60 TC Mini is better than my Snow Wolf in every way.
How does the x cube 2 run? Does it do that pulse thingy? This is all very interesting info. Honestly idk if I could see myself wanting to vape more than 130w. It's kind of like power to weight ratio on a car. If you have big ... motor in like a truck or big bulky car it may have high hp and go fast but put a smaller motor in a smaller car and it may go the same speed while having less horse power. Which ones safer and more reliable I'm gonna go with the smaller motor and car. Sorry if that was a vague comparison but anyone who knows a little about cars knows what I mean

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I thought two batteries put together you like up the amp. Therefore like two fresh charged vtc4 can do like 40 amps in series. What's the amp rating on those lipo batteries. I don't trust lipos too much. It's unnerving my phone has one but a credit card machine on a plane blew up and caught it on fire. Saw it on the news. Thank god they hadn't taken off yet
Two batteries in parellel share the current load and the amp limit goes up to almost double that of one. VTC4 is a 30A battery so two in parellel would be good for ~50A.

50A • 3.2V = 160W

In series the amp limit is the same as one battery but with twice the voltage.

25A • 6.4V = 160W

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
How does the x cube 2 run? Does it do that pulse thingy? This is all very interesting info. Honestly idk if I could see myself wanting to vape more than 130w. It's kind of like power to weight ratio on a car. If you have big ... motor in like a truck or big bulky car it may have high hp and go fast but put a smaller motor in a smaller car and it may go the same speed while having less horse power. Which ones safer and more reliable I'm gonna go with the smaller motor and car. Sorry if that was a vague comparison but anyone who knows a little about cars knows what I mean

Using thinner (lower mass) wire to cover the same surface area of wick will vape the same as thick wire but require less power to hit the same temperature.

Very similar to your car analogy.

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Using thinner (lower mass) wire to cover the same surface area of wick will vape the same as thick wire but require less power to hit the same temperature.

Very similar to your car analogy.
Yeah. Although I'm enjoying my 24g in my dripper. Maybe I'll go back to 28 and do a single parallel build. Of maybe I'll get the big truck and just build a Clapton haha

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Yeah. Although I'm enjoying my 24g in my dripper. Maybe I'll go back to 28 and do a single parallel build. Of maybe I'll get the big truck and just build a Clapton haha
Here is the current build in my Velocity. 28\34 Clapton 2.5mm 10 wrap 0.9 ohm.
image.jpg

For some reason people with regulated mods forget they can use voltage to heat higher resistance coils to the same temps as low resistance high current coils.

At 20W
image.jpg

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Here is the current build in my Velocity. 28\34 Clapton 2.5mm 10 wrap 0.9 ohm.
View attachment 498710

For some reason people with regulated mods forget they can use voltage to heat higher resistance coils to the same temps as low resistance high current coils.

At 20W
View attachment 498711
I was always told claptons would need a lot of watts. Guess my local shop guy was wrong. I know his needed a lot of watts

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Bang for buck xcube 2 hands down been using mine solidly for the last five days and it's been rock solid never missing a beat and with the latest update now goes upto 180 watts. As for battery drainer I'm getting a full day out of mine on four one year old 25r's at 20 watts on kanthal I get longer using tc. Yes the led is gimicky but it does grow on you lol and the firing bar makes it feel very natural to use, biggest downside for some is the weight it is not a lightweight mod by any means but I've not found it uncomfortable to use at all. I paid £42 for mine from fasttech and so far its been a brilliant purchase and smok are releasing updates on a regular basis and look like they are going to continue support. I only have ni200 at the minute will be getting some ss soon but temp control works very well and is accurate, longevity is the only unknown at the minute but it feels very solid.

Reactions: Paul lamb

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    With dual batteries you are not going over 130W safely anyway. Even at 120W battery life would suck bad.

I'd wait for the DNA 120 dual 18650 or 26650 mods.

Currently the only mod in my stable that will last all day is a IPV4S - it spends most of its discharge cycle <30W and a good portion of that below 20W.

Eventually manufacturers will start offering dual 26650 mods so high power users have more usable battery life. The bonus for us lower power users is even longer battery life!

I'm actually considering the SIG75+ as an option because of its single 26650 might outlast my current single battery mods outfitted with a LG HG2. The only downside to 26650's I see is that size does not appear to be as popular and competition of various makers and capacities don't appear to be as robust as the smaller 18650's. Time will tell when/if more mod makers make use of the larger replaceable batteries.

Reactions: Paul lamb

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY
    I was always told claptons would need a lot of watts. Guess my local shop guy was wrong. I know his needed a lot of watts

High mass coils (thick wire) require lots of power. Make the same fancy build with less mass and you can use less power.

A lot of people think thick wire is somehow better than thin wire. Proably because of uneducated mechmod users who think the only way to get lower resistance, therefor higher power, is to go with thicker wire.

Apparently the simple consept of parellel configurations is too complex for the vast majority. :facepalm:

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 18, 2013
    High mass coils (thick wire) require lots of power. Make the same fancy build with less mass and you can use less power.

A lot of people think thick wire is somehow better than thin wire. Proably because of uneducated mechmod users who think the only way to get lower resistance, therefor higher power, is to go with thicker wire.

Apparently the simple consept of parellel configurations is too complex for the vast majority. :facepalm:
    I just enjoy simple builds cuz I can't bother with all that Clapton crap but I may give it a go. I always assumed since its all twisted together like that it would act like thicker wire and require a lot of watts and have bad ramp up time. Looks like I was wrong? How is the ramp up and cool down time on that build you posted?

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY
    I just enjoy simple builds cuz I can't bother with all that Clapton crap but I may give it a go. I always assumed since its all twisted together like that it would act like thicker wire and require a lot of watts and have bad ramp up time. Looks like I was wrong? How is the ramp up and cool down time on that build you posted?
    About the same as a simple 25 gauge 10 wrap build at 20W.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread