Silly Mental health question with regards to behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
***I am saying sorry now if this thread topic is similar to another case. If not let this serve as a light tower for others.***

////I have moved on the DSM AXIS 1 so many times now it isn't funny.

The labels I have aquired are schizophrenic Nov 2011/ Bipolar Jan 2012
and
finally in 2015 a mix of Atypical psychosis/schizo-effective. No official report on the new 2015 diagnosis as of yet, I will argue to keep it in the Bipolar bubble.

before 2013 I did not vape now after it I get a new diagonisis in 2015 after 2 years of vaping.

I know there are lots of variables at play such as the stress of my father (2014 dec) passing away but I would like to rule out vaping and nicotine.\\\

¿My question is has anyone felt behavior changes from vaping and in addition made any discoveries about vaping that was the reason for such?

Any good conspiracy theories that can be debunked?

I would like information that can disarm any doubts in a peaceful manner with the vape nazis. (Apologies for the word nazi by the way.)?

♤P.S
I have seen other threads on mental health and vaping but I felt they were a little in lnconculsive since there is no such thing as a one size fits all for mental health.

I am not on a war path with the medical establiment for Mental Health. No reason for a debate with them, it's a subjective industry, [emoji1] ♤

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I am a psychiatric nurse practitioner. Obviously I do not know your specific case, but the diagnosis you have been given previously (schizophrenia, bipolar, and schizoaffective) all kind of tie-in together. Schizoaffective essentially is bipolar symptoms with psychosis. Many patients are diagnosed schizoaffective and then later changed to Schizophrenia diagnosis. I have several patients I have seen with a previous Schizophrenia diagnosis and I have changed them to schizoaffective due to the symptoms they currently have. When I see clearly defined manic episodes combined with psychosis, hallucinations and or delusions, and or paranoia, schizoaffective disorder is the primary diagnosis until proven otherwise.

I can tell you with 99% certainty that vaping has zero to do with your schizoaffective diagnosis. Schizoaffective essentially combines your 2 previous diagnosis.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
I have Bipolar type 2 and used to have insomnia even before I started vaping.

Vaping always made me a little hypomanic feeling even on meds and gives me insomnia still at even as low as 6mg if I vape after 6pm.

Seems Bipolar types might be over sensitive to the way vaping delivers the nicotine.

That said smoking analogues has it's downsides. They make me lethargic and drained and anxious sometimes but no insomnia or hypomania whatsoever.

So logic tells me to try higher voltage vaping with zero nicotine and see if that takes away the hypo and insomnia I get from nicotine vaping and also the lethargy feeling from cigarette smoking.

Will report back after given it a go.

Reactions: Katmar

jessica nathan

Moved On
Nov 25, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
As expected vaping zero nic at higher watts is not giving me any hypo or insomnia.

I am finding it hard to find juices I like. Basically I don't want to vape a strawberry milkshake or a cafe latte, or nuts, I wan tto vape something very similar in texture and taste to a cigarette.

In the absence of a decent tobacco like juice, as of yesterday I am back to smoking temporarily.

I really want to try NET and WTA at zero nic....

As I've always suspected, those of us who self medicate with cigs, are doing it for the MAOI's not the nicotine.

Reactions: schatz

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
As I've always suspected, those of us who self medicate with cigs, are doing it for the MAOI's not the nicotine.

I think you are partially right on this. When i used to smoke, and quite a lot 2,5 packs day, i couldnt stop smoking, every 1/2 hour need at least one. On these 2 years vaping, i smoked quite a few cigarettes, like 1 or 2 in six months. I dont really wanted to go back, i found vaping superior, but mainly to get the feel and compare. On the first year i was vaping, i got a cigarrete and i feel that rush that a cigarette does that vaping does not, its much more intense, its not like nicotine on vape, its like a hammer, and it keeps you wanting for more like ........
Last time i tried a cigarette, i guess, 2 months ago, i throwed it lit after 2-3 puffs, i found the sensation bad.

So i guess you are partially right, i increased 1 pack a day when i stopped drinking and coke and started taking SSRI. I hooked really hard on cigarettes. Changing for vaping didnt solved my issue, but it easened the path for me.

Reactions: Yiana

Rkb56

Oct 7, 2015
***I am saying sorry now if this thread topic is similar to another case. If not let this serve as a light tower for others.***

and
finally in 2015 a mix of Atypical psychosis/schizo-effective. No official report on the new 2015 diagnosis as of yet, I will argue to keep it in the Bipolar bubble.

before 2013 I did not vape now after it I get a new diagonisis in 2015 after 2 years of vaping.

I know there are lots of variables at play such as the stress of my father (2014 dec) passing away but I would like to rule out vaping and nicotine.\\\

¿My question is has anyone felt behavior changes from vaping and in addition made any discoveries about vaping that was the reason for such?

I would like information that can disarm any doubts in a peaceful manner with the vape nazis. (Apologies for the word nazi by the way.)?

♤P.S
I have seen other threads on mental health and vaping but I felt they were a little in lnconculsive since there is no such thing as a one size fits all for mental health.

I am not on a war path with the medical establiment for Mental Health. No reason for a debate with them, it's a subjective industry, [emoji1] ♤

I've never heard of any mental health related issues due to vaping except anxiety from quitting cigs or the nicotine. However the passing of your father is a big indicator. We have a chart we use in the field to rate a person's mental health. The scale is 1-10. Preexistent mental health problems is a 2. Death of a family member would be a 1. Etc.10 being they need to be evaled, 1 meaning their fine.

Reactions: Zanderist

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
As report for this present moment standing, I feel completely normal. In part due to meds, I have continued to vape since the first posting. I will have to say, the chemicals in vapor for me have no effect on mental status just to restate which maybe obivious for some.

To be honest, I can't even recall anything ever being wrong with me now as a way of feeling and not as an act that nothing ever happened.

As to those maybe curious all I so far take is a 10 MG (5 @ am/ 5 @ pm) dose of abilify and a double dose multivitamin tab a day. I have zero manic/pychotic symptoms.

Gazoo2You

Nov 28, 2015
Not a doctor. Good to hear you feel as good as you do. Am related by marriage through a sibling to 2 who are Bi-Polar. I have seen them go off their meds, both times, reporting they felt so normal, honestly, they could not remember ever having not been. I think that was the first sign, in retrospect they were about to go off of their meds. Please be aware of that and don't make that same mistake. It can be very painful + such a terrible waste of time and set back.

Not judging you when i say that. Please don't think i am. Sure you have heard it happening to others before. And probably an innocent remark you made. Just took me back to a bad time we all experienced when I read those same words I heard before.
Enjoy the place you are now in. Don't look to make any changes on your own.

Reactions: Zanderist

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
I've read while cigarettes have maoi, nicotine is a really big factor to keeping stabilized such as the case with bipolar and/or schizophrenia. In cases of depression, I believe that is where the maoi helps.
I'm bipolar used to smoke, now I vape. I find the nicotine is what helps me. I'm down to 2-3mg. I tried 0 nic, but it didn't do a damn thing to help. This is just my own personal experience though.

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
I have Bipolar type 2 and used to have insomnia even before I started vaping.

Vaping always made me a little hypomanic feeling even on meds and gives me insomnia still at even as low as 6mg if I vape after 6pm.

Seems Bipolar types might be over sensitive to the way vaping delivers the nicotine.

That said smoking analogues has it's downsides. They make me lethargic and drained and anxious sometimes but no insomnia or hypomania whatsoever.

So logic tells me to try higher voltage vaping with zero nicotine and see if that takes away the hypo and insomnia I get from nicotine vaping and also the lethargy feeling from cigarette smoking.

Will report back after given it a go.

You could try lower nic, if zero doesn't cut it. It helped me. 6mg depending on your style of vaping could still be too high.

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth

and

♤P.S

Changes in diagnosis is sometimes subjective depending on the doctor. I wouldn't worry too much about that.
My diagnosis has changed a couple times and that was before I started vaping.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Changes in diagnosis is sometimes subjective depending on the doctor. I wouldn't worry too much about that.
My diagnosis has changed a couple times and that was before I started vaping.

Yes. I had been diagnosed with Bi-polar type I by one psychiatrist and had another shrink tell me a few years later he doesn't think that was accurate. A third doctor several years after that essentially said "the diagnosis doesn't matter as far as your treatment. As long as the meds work and you're stable it's all that matters." He has the right idea.

Looking back, I think my issue has always been anxiety and depression related. I think the original doctor confused my anxiety symptoms (which were severe and kept me awake for a week) for mania. And I can't blame him as one of the hallmarks of mania is lack of sleep.

Until we develop technology to do a brain scan or a DNA test to accurately diagnose mental illness, there's always going to be some guesswork involved in psychiatry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread