Digital Scale Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
Hi all. I have been reading up on mixing by weight so I just bought a scale. I have been reading everywhere and it has been recommended to by another member to get this scale American Weigh Scales LB-501 Digital Kitchen. My question is, this scale has a max of 500g, so can I make a batch over that limit if I push the tare button? Example: 250g PG, tare, 250 VG, tare 100g Nic, tare 150g flavors. Total 750g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
No it will be off calibration above limit even after tare.

ps. at this amount probably a 1-3kg scale would be more suitable
Dang it... Thanks. It's seems as thought any scale that goes above 500g drops in precision unless I want to spend $200+

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced 1000g scale that weighs to .01?

Or, what if I weighed the liquids separately and then poured then into a flasks off the scale? Is my thinking flawed with this idea?

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Or, what if I weighed the liquids separately and then poured then into a flasks off the scale? Is my thinking flawed with this idea?

Yeah, you are going to see a Big Jump in Price for 1000g +/- .01g Scales.

---

Don't see anything Wrong with your Thinking. And you Don't have to have the Entire Mix on the Scale at one time.

You could also Make "1/2 Batches" Where you make 400g Batch Complete. Then Make another 400g Batch Complete. Then Combine the Two Batches to have a 800g Batch. Or just keep them in Separate Bottles.

---

Or you could buy a 1000g Scale that is +/- 0.1g and just use it for the PG, VG and Nicotine Base. And use a Smaller .01 +/- Scale to measure Flavoring. You really Don't need +/- .01g to Measure anything but the Flavoring.

---

BTW - Do you Need to Make such Large Batches at one Time? Are you Mixing for More than yourself?

Reactions: Izan and jbok

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
Yeah, you are going to see a Big Jump in Price for 1000g +/- .01g Scales.

---

Don't see anything Wrong with your Thinking. And you Don't have to have the Entire Mix on the Scale at one time.

You could also Make "1/2 Batches" Where you make 400g Batch Complete. Then Make another 400g Batch Complete. Then Combine the Two Batches to have a 800g Batch. Or just keep them in Separate Bottles.

---

Or you could buy a 1000g Scale that is +/- 0.1g and just use it for the PG, VG and Nicotine Base. And use a Smaller .01 +/- Scale to measure Flavoring. You really Don't need +/- .01g to Measure anything but the Flavoring.

---

BTW - Do you Need to Make such Large Batches at one Time? Are you Mixing for More than yourself?
Yeah I mix up 100ml bottles for friends, family, and myself. We all like the same flavors and doing it by volume is taking up way too much time. If I don't have to worry about being as accurate to the .01, I'll just buy the same scale with the 1000g option.

The only down side I see to weighing separately is that when I go to combine, I would loses accuracy from the loss of liquid that would stick to the sides of the jar.

Thanks for the input

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Reactions: jbok

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah I mix up 100ml bottles for friends, family, and myself. We all like the same flavors and doing it by volume is taking up way too much time. If I don't have to worry about being as accurate to the .01, I'll just buy the same scale with the 1000g option.

The only down side I see to weighing separately is that when I go to combine, I would loses accuracy from the loss of liquid that would stick to the sides of the jar.

Thanks for the input

Yeah, I figured you were doing DIY for others.

Here's the Deal...

Whenever you consider the concept of "Accuracy", you should Always ask Yourself at What point does Accuracy become Meaningless to my Situation?

Numerical Accuracy is consider "Boundless". Because No Matter what Level of Accuracy I shoot for, I can Always move the Decimal point to the Left and Achieve a Higher degree of Accuracy. But when Mixing something for Taste, at what point can I no Longer Taste these Higher Degree's of Accuracy?

Also consider "Error" as Relative.

If my Total Flavoring is off .5 ml in a 3ml Batch of Flavored e-Liquids, I can Taste it. But if my Total Flavoring is off the Same amount, .5ml, in a 500ml Batch, will I be able to Taste it?

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
When I make a large batch like you talk about over the weight limit of my scale. I start with the nicotine. Then I weigh flavors and add that to my bottle, then I "rinse" all of these out with several beakers full of vg. It is quick and easy. Plastic actually works better when doing this as the vg doesn't cling to it quite as much as it does glass.

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
Yeah, I figured you were doing DIY for others.

Here's the Deal...

Whenever you consider the concept of "Accuracy", you should Always ask Yourself at What point does Accuracy become Meaningless to my Situation?

Numerical Accuracy is consider "Boundless". Because No Matter what Level of Accuracy I shoot for, I can Always move the Decimal point to the Left and Achieve a Higher degree of Accuracy. But when Mixing something for Taste, at what point can I no Longer Taste these Higher Degree's of Accuracy?

Also consider "Error" as Relative.

If my Total Flavoring is off .5 ml in a 3ml Batch of Flavored e-Liquids, I can Taste it. But if my Total Flavoring is off the Same amount, .5ml, in a 500ml Batch, will I be able to Taste it?
I'm picking up what your putting down and it makes total sense. It's just the OCD in me but now that I have permission to not be so accurate I can rest easy.

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
When I make a large batch like you talk about over the weight limit of my scale. I start with the nicotine. Then I weigh flavors and add that to my bottle, then I "rinse" all of these out with several beakers full of vg. It is quick and easy. Plastic actually works better when doing this as the vg doesn't cling to it quite as much as it does glass.
h
Not sure I get what you mean by "Rinse". Do you mean that once you dumped your flavors you weigh VG in the same jar to absorb any remaining concentrate?

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
You've already gotten great advice; particularly from sketchiness. Tare out the empty bottles, then weigh your minor components (nic and flavors). Dump them into a separate bottle.
Tare out the bottle again (to cancel any residual nic/flavorings left in the bottle) and add your base (PG/VG), which will also reclaim most of the residual nic and flavors. The end result will be a very accurate mix, and scales very nicely, and is pretty easy to do. If you need to do multiple batches, do them sequentially; then any residual left over from the first batch will be small amounts of mostly PG/VG; not enough to make any difference at all in the mix.

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
You've already gotten great advice; particularly from sketchiness. Tare out the empty bottles, then weigh your minor components (nic and flavors). Dump them into a separate bottle.
Tare out the bottle again (to cancel any residual nic/flavorings left in the bottle) and add your base (PG/VG), which will also reclaim most of the residual nic and flavors. The end result will be a very accurate mix, and scales very nicely, and is pretty easy to do. If you need to do multiple batches, do them sequentially; then any residual left over from the first batch will be small amounts of mostly PG/VG; not enough to make any difference at all in the mix.
Got it.. What do you all think if I make my last component VG. I weight it out then stick it in a warm water bath for a few minutes to thin it up, so I'll be able to reclaim most of it?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Weigh out the nic and flavors first, then finish up with the dilutant (PG and/or VG) in the same beaker/jar/whatever. If you tare between ingredients then you'll always add the right amount, and whatever does get left behind on the glass will get "rinsed" out by the next ingredient. When you do the dilutant last (swirl it around a bit, to pick up as much as possible of what did stick), all that's left behind will be mostly PG/VG and only a very tiny amount of anything else. You could always scrape it out with a rubber spatula or something too, like you would with a cake batter, if you're intent on getting every last bit you can from it.

[Edit: it looks I'm late to the party and this was already covered. Yeah basically just do the PG last, or warmed VG if you're not using PG, and you should not have too much loss.]

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
The above listed solutions are fine no doubt! Personally, I don't think .01g precision is needed for over 500ml batches, so for convenience, I have bought two scales; one .01g 500g scale for daily usage and one .1g 2000g scale for bigger batches(I mix a liter for my sister from time to time, as I don't wanna be bothered with mixing requests to often...). The 2KG scale actually has .05g accuracy for 0-1KG and .1g for 1-2KG. I would love if e.g. I could get a cheap scale that did up to 2KG, and just changed accuracy for 0-500g, 500g-1KG and 1-2KG like my 2 combined ones, or with a manual button for changing accuracy like my 2KG scale has for switching between up to 1 or 2kg, but i've looked a lot and couldn't find such, atleast not within reason money-wise... Both of my weights are from dx.com btw...

Edit: It's also on fasttech for 16 bucks including 4 cells; crh-215... Note, some places online lists it as a 2000g/0.01g scale, which also it was listed as when I bought it and though "great!", but it's not, only 0.05g/0.1g! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread