Thoughts on this latest "exploding e-cig" story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaufan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
Richland, Ga. USA
Sad thing is it happens a lot. I have a friend who works at Grady Memorial in Atlanta in the ER and she is a vapor. She said it is mostly adult males that come in ranging from minor burns to gaping holes and it is becoming more common at an alarming rate. Most but not all times the devices come with the "idiots" and she is amazed by what she sees. Hmm..GA HB-907 being cussed and discussed just 2 blocks from this ER.. Really!!!

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
There definitely needs to be more education on basic vape safety. I wouldn't particularly say these people are idiots, just people who don't understand their equipment and probably don't know how risky it could be to use incompatible and/or crap equipment.

While I agree in a sense, anytime I am even contemplating doing something I've never done before I research and educate myself before hand.

When I saw my first mech I immediately was drawn to them, and for these people the next logical step is buy one because I want it. For me just liking them was the catalyst to questions like what is a mechanical mod, how do mechanical mods work, what batteries to use with a mechanical mod, etc..

I don't think the people in these articles are any less intelligent than I am they just move at a rushed and sometimes unsafe manner to what they want. I on the other hand take a more steady, methodical approach to anything unknown.

The conundrum is how do you urge a populace that revolves around instant gratification to slow down, think, research, and then proceed?

Vesuvius

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
This is the kind of thing they will use against the vaping industry and its us that can come up with more ways to make people more aware. 2 things I was thinking of, maybe when you join a forum like ECF, you would have to read a post about battery saftey before you can do anything else on the forum. Maybe it would help educate some new people that have no idea. I see new members here everyday. Also, I think they should completely do away with cheap batteries in kits and on venders sites period. I don't know. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I think there is a rush to judgement here, on each of these mod explosion threads, assuming certain things about the skills and knowledge and IQ of the injured vaper, and why the mod blew up. In fact, most if not all of these stories has only two things in common: it is always or almost always a mech, and the reason for the venting is totally unknown. Very unfortunate.

There could be problems with mechs that no one here is aware of, things that could happen to anyone. You can't know what you don't know. But we will probably never know since the media seems to have no interest in that aspect of the reporting and there is no central collection of this data.

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate and rude. Knock it off.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The battery exploded, due to improper use.
User error. Mechancial mods require actual knowledge to use safely.

You won't get this from a YouTube video.

Why does this happen?
Mechanical mods look cool.

Kids have always done stupid dangerous stuff trying to look cool.

Using an "advanced user only" electronic device when you aren't an advanced user is one of those dangerous stupid things.

If they spent a few hours doing actual research before spending money to look cool they would know about the dangers.

That's why they end up on the ER.

I'll bet they see more ATV injuries than e cig injuries at GMH.

sos2001

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
South Carolina
I'll bet they see more ATV injuries than e cig injuries at GMH.

Of course they do. In a 6 mile stretch of I-85 on Friday, there were 7 wrecks. People are generally stupid and then do stupid things. There were 4 guys at a NASCAR race in Charlotte a few years back who thought it would be a good idea to light their charcoal grill inside their tent to keep warm while camping at the track...all 4 were found dead the next morning. This time of year, there are numerous fires with people misusing space heaters.

You cannot fix stupid be it with e-cigs, cars, grills, heaters, or anything else.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Of course they do. In a 6 mile stretch of I-85 on Friday, there were 7 wrecks. People are generally stupid and then do stupid things. There were 4 guys at a NASCAR race in Charlotte a few years back who thought it would be a good idea to light their charcoal grill inside their tent to keep warm while camping at the track...all 4 were found dead the next morning. This time of year, there are numerous fires with people misusing space heaters.

You cannot fix stupid be it with e-cigs, cars, grills, heaters, or anything else.

Lol
I used to live right outside Atlanta.
Traffic is insane there.
When I moved to California I heard all these stories about LA traffic being so bad. Buncha whimps.
It's nothing compared to rush hour in ATL.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If all mods were equally vulnerabe to these accidents there would be thousands of them. The media could perform a useful service by explaining which kind of device is involved. But they are so eager to tar ecigs they won't do that even if they know the difference. Journalism has been on hard times lately. I think their troubles are well deserved.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Lol
I used to live right outside Atlanta.
Traffic is insane there.
When I moved to California I heard all these stories about LA traffic being so bad. Buncha whimps.
It's nothing compared to rush hour in ATL.
God, ain't that the truth. I've had my fill of Cobb County :)

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
If all mods were equally vulnerabe to these accidents there would be thousands of them. The media could perform a useful service by explaining which kind of device is involved. But they are so eager to tar ecigs they won't do that even if they know the difference. Journalism has been on hard times lately. I think their troubles are well deserved.

That's not journalism.

That's blogging.
Pure sensationalism.

Journalism implies professionalism and ethics.

If a blogger spent 10 minutes actually researching the devices they would understand what's happening.

They are too lazy to research the topic, and don't feel the need to.

People fear what they don't understand, and fear gets views.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Oh, yeah. Wasn't it one of those sub tanks mismatched to a hybrid type set up?

Clouds, bro.

Most but not all times the devices come with the "idiots"...

Funny-meme-Clouds.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread