Thoughts on this latest "exploding e-cig" story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Can someone fill me in on safety features on ecigs/mods? Is fixed voltage safer? What kind of safety features are available?

There are many different types of devices that fall under "ecig"
Unregulated mechanical mods have no safety features.
Unless you really know what you are doing, they came be dangerous.
They are for advanced users only.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Can someone fill me in on safety features on ecigs/mods? Is fixed voltage safer? What kind of safety features are available?
Lithium Ion batteries can vent gasses, catch fire, or explode if you abuse them, all of them.

Types of abuse include, but are not limited to, drawing more power from them than they can safely put out, short circuiting them, letting them get too hot, charging them at too high a rate, discharging them too far.

If you put a battery in the wrong way, depending on how the circuit is configured, it will short. If the battery wrapper is torn, it could short. If something makes a complete circuit other than the intended coil, like a bad connection, or the negative 510 of the atomizer touching the positive pin of the battery, it could short. If you draw too much power too quickly, like running too low of a build for that battery, it acts like a short.

Most regulated mods offer some protections, though they vary between mods, but commonly include reverse polarity, short recognition, and a cutoff when the battery gets too low.

In an unregulated or mechanical mod, you are the safety feature.

It is important to know the possible dangers, and what your specific equipment protects against, and what it doesn't.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Still have no idea why anyone would use a mech mod nowadays but fill yer boots.

The reverse could be said as well.

I have no need for a regulated mod.

It's just superfluous gear to break.

I don't need buttons to regulate my power, nor do I need protection from misuse. I do not need temp control, as it serves no purpose.
I can build the perfect coil, for any atomizer, tuned exactly the way I want.
My mechancial mods won't break, or die. Ever.
I can service every part on the mod completely.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Is a mod technically anything that takes removable batteries? What are ego-style batteries considered? What is the subvod considered? I have a subvod and have never used anything with removable batteries but I notice it has a number of safety features. Like at what point is someone getting into dangerous territory? Sorry I don't know much about terminology etc. Thanks!

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Is a mod technically anything that takes removable batteries? What are ego-style batteries considered? What is the subvod considered? I have a subvod and have never used anything with removable batteries but I notice it has a number of safety features. Like at what point is someone getting into dangerous territory? Sorry I don't know much about terminology etc. Thanks!
Using mechanicals without FULLY understanding what they are and how they work can be dangerous.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I've survived Atlanta traffic for the last 20 years....down 85 in the morning and back up 85 to Gwinnett County at night. Not one wreck and none of my mods have blown up. I'm kinda gifted though....

I considered myself blessed if I make it up past Stockbridge to get onto I-675. Then, there's the mech mod, cloud chaser of ATL; I-285.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    ALL BATTERIES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO VENT, CATCH FIRE, AND/OR EXPLODE.

Even if your device has a built in battery, like an ego, or your subvod, it is important to educate yourself as to what safety features it uses, and what it does not protect against.

MOST regulated mods will somewhat protect you from shorts, and over drawing from the battery. Many mods with built in batteries are subject to issues during charging. Make sure you know what charge rate you should be using, and have a charger that supplies that rate.

I don't intend to sound mean, just trying to make it clear that there are no perfectly safe batteries.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
    Feb 23, 2014
    usa
    ALL BATTERIES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO VENT, CATCH FIRE, AND/OR EXPLODE.

Even if your device has a built in battery, like an ego, or your subvod, it is important to educate yourself as to what safety features it uses, and what it does not protect against.

MOST regulated mods will somewhat protect you from shorts, and over drawing from the battery. Many mods with built in batteries are subject to issues during charging. Make sure you know what charge rate you should be using, and have a charger that supplies that rate. I know it doesn't go below 0.4 ohm, I use a 0.5 ohm SSOCC.

I don't intend to sound mean, just trying to make it clear that there are no perfectly safe batteries.
    Thanks, that is what I was wondering about. Subvod has short circuit protection, low resistance protection, and overcharge protection. What do I need to be careful about to make sure it doesn't blow up in my face? Lol. It is also micro usb charged and I am kind of wondering about that, does it make a difference whether I charge it plugged into my laptop or plugged into the wall? So far I don't charge it in the wall because I don't know whether the USB wall adapters I have are safe for it.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Thanks, that is what I was wondering about. Subvod has short circuit protection, low resistance protection, and overcharge protection. What do I need to be careful about to make sure it doesn't blow up in my face? Lol. It is also micro usb charged and I am kind of wondering about that, does it make a difference whether I charge it plugged into my laptop or plugged into the wall? So far I don't charge it in the wall because I don't know whether the USB wall adapters I have are safe for it.
    After a quick look at the instructions, I have no idea because it doesn't say. Lower and slower is usually better when it comes to charging batteries, so personally I wouldn't go over a 0.5 A charger, but don't quote me on that.

It's also a 1300 mah battery, that comes bundled with a 0.5ohm coil, and says the mod can do 30 watts. I'm not an expert but i wouldn't trust that mod to do 30 watts safely. I tend to be more conservative power wise than some.

I also don't charge anything from my laptop, just because the laptop is more important to me than whatever device I would be charging.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Yeah but what is a mechanical?

Mechanical mods have no electronics.
    They are basically a battery holder with a very simple button ( momentary switch) and a threaded attachment for an atomizer.

The design is like a very simple flashlight with an Atty instead of a bulb.

The first ones actually were modified flashlights.
    That's why we use the term "mod".

They have no circuitry or protection.
    They are made for users who have the experience and knowledge to use them safely.
    They are not for beginners.

Reactions: Lessifer

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
    Feb 23, 2014
    usa
    After a quick look at the instructions, I have no idea because it doesn't say. Lower and slower is usually better when it comes to charging batteries, so personally I wouldn't go over a 0.5 A charger, but don't quote me on that.

It's also a 1300 mah battery, that comes bundled with a 0.5ohm coil, and says the mod can do 30 watts. I'm not an expert but i wouldn't trust that mod to do 30 watts safely. I tend to be more conservative power wise than some.

I also don't charge anything from my laptop, just because the laptop is more important to me than whatever device I would be charging.
    Thanks. I don't know why it says it does 30 watts since it doesn't have adjustable watts. It's a single button. Ohms law calculator says it does about 27 watts with the 3.7v battery and 0.5 ohm coils.
    Are ego batteries considered a type of mod? Confused about terminology, here.

Can charging in the laptop fry the laptop or something? I just figured charging via laptop is probably less powerful and safer than charging via wall.

Did some reading, I am actually using an acer chromebook and it has two USB 2.0 socket outlet things and one USB 3.0, the 2.0 provide up to 0.5 amps and the 3.0 provides up to 0.9 amps. I will continue using the 2.0 outlet things I guess. Do different USB wall outlet adapters have different power output for charging? Mine has 5.0 V and 800 mah, so apparently 0.8 amps? The ones we have came with our cellphones.
    On reading about safe usage, there is mentioned "intelligent chargers" that "automatically detects and adjusts voltage output for each type of battery (Li-ion, Ni-MH, and Ni-Cd), it will stop once the battery is fully charged." Would something like this be handy to use, especially if I can't find charger compatibility?

I found this old thread on ECF: Kanger Subvod Charging... 500mA

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lessifer

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Someone Break the link.
    More he said, she said, I think, maybe..........Bla.........Bla.........Bla...[Removed].

Not one of these Reports are Reports. They are personalized propaganda. Spinning a tale of Doom and Gloom.

* He was just cutting the lawn when his Riding Mower flipped over.
    (running in top gear on the side of a hill):facepalm:

* I swear the Gun was not loaded when I started cleaning it. It just went off.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Thanks. I don't know why it says it does 30 watts since it doesn't have adjustable watts. It's a single button. Ohms law calculator says it does about 27 watts with the 3.7v battery and 0.5 ohm coils.
    Are ego batteries considered a type of mod? Confused about terminology, here.

Can charging in the laptop fry the laptop or something? I just figured charging via laptop is probably less powerful and safer than charging via wall.

Did some reading, I am actually using an acer chromebook and it has two USB 2.0 socket outlet things and one USB 3.0, the 2.0 provide up to 0.5 amps and the 3.0 provides up to 0.9 amps. I will continue using the 2.0 outlet things I guess. Do different USB wall outlet adapters have different power output for charging? Mine has 5.0 V and 800 mah, so apparently 0.8 amps? The ones we have came with our cellphones.
    On reading about safe usage, there is mentioned "intelligent chargers" that "automatically detects and adjusts voltage output for each type of battery (Li-ion, Ni-MH, and Ni-Cd), it will stop once the battery is fully charged." Would something like this be handy to use, especially if I can't find charger compatibility?

I found this old thread on ECF: Kanger Subvod Charging... 500mA
    All of this is personal opinion:
    27 watts is roughly 7 amps. That battery is 1300 mah but I don't know anything else about it. That's about the same as an 18350 and 7 amps is the MAX that I would ever run an 18350 at, and only if it were one that I knew was rated to handle a 7 amp discharge. Kanger seems to think it can handle it though.

I don't charge from my laptop because if something were to go wrong, and the battery caught fire, I wouldn't want to also lose my computer.

You are correct, 800 mah is 0.8 amps.

Ego's are not "mods" per say, but they contain the same types of batteries, so the same cautions apply.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    The media could perform a useful service by explaining which kind of device is involved.

I would agree but I can't help but feel the average IQ of media personalities and journalists is in the double digits. Take guns for instance. They have been around a lot longer and are more prolific than ecigs, yet most people in the media don't even know the difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons. I have even seen one journalist report someone was shot with an "automatic revolver". Never mind the fact that there is no such thing. It was either an automatic or a revolver but not both. To expect these imbeciles to know the difference between a mech and a regulated device is just too much to ask, much less know about what kind of topper was on it and what kind of batteries were in it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread