Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
Alright, here's what I ordered:

50ml HS desert ship
10ml INW dark for pipe
10ml INW black for pipe
30ml TFA mild black (SC was sold out)

and just for the fun of it, 30ml TFA absinthe

Should get some interesting mixes once I've tasted all of these at stand alone.

-Kingboomer

EDIT: ...and it looks like I'll get it tomorrow :D

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
INW dark for pipe
INW black for pipe
TFA mild black

These are just a few of my fav tobaccos! The INW for pipe collection are really good tobaccos. The only one that wasn't as punchy as the others was the Vanilla for pipe; super subtle.

You won't be disappointed with your selections!

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
So after diluting, we have to wait for steeping before putting it into a mix?

I did steep mine for awhile after diluting it. Shook the bottle good a couple of times a day for a couple of weeks. It's pretty strong so you will only use it at 2-4% average to your recipe. Remember, this is your flavoring and not the actual juice that you will vape straight. And, you will see some greenish residue in it similar to pond water. That's normal [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I found when making my 10% dilution, mixing the Rustica solely with PGA first helps with totally dissolving the Rustica. After this, then add the PG and mix well.

When I mixed it otherwise, there were more "chunks/flakes" of the Rustica floating around in the mix. Even with warming the batch and using a milk frother to blend the PG, PGA and Rustica, I was left with undissolved bits of Rustica in the mix.

Last edited:

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
These are just a few of my fav tobaccos! The INW for pipe collection are really good tobaccos. The only one that wasn't as punchy as the others was the Vanilla for pipe; super subtle.

You won't be disappointed with your selections!

Hey @nostradadus , what percentages do you recommend starting these at? I was thinking 5% but if I should go lower I will. Thanks man!

-Kingboomer

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Hey @nostradadus , what percentages do you recommend starting these at? I was thinking 5% but if I should go lower I will. Thanks man!

-Kingboomer

The INW at 5% may be a bit cloying. I say that because when I get a new tobacco, I usually mix it at 5% in a 2ml test batch just to get a sense of what I'm dealing with..... Both of these "for pipes" are really great at around 3%, now having made several batches of both tobaccos.

I feel you know about the TFA and HS, since you're getting 30ml of each. ???

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
The INW at 5% may be a bit cloying. I say that because when I get a new tobacco, I usually mix it at 5% in a 2ml test batch just to get a sense of what I'm dealing with..... Both of these "for pipes" are really great at around 3%, now having made several batches of both tobaccos.

I feel you know about the TFA and HS, since you're getting 30ml of each. ???

Good to know on the INW. I'll start those at 3.33, my usual with that brand. I got this while asking about HS desert ship:
Not even close in my opinion. FA Desert Ship is a much darker and heavier tobacco flavor. The FA version also has a strong ashy flavor that is absent from Hangsen's, and there seems to be an undertone of spice beneath the ash for FA. Hangsen's Desert Ship is a strong tobacco flavor but I find it very clean and it plays well with other flavors. I use FA at 3% or less before it becomes overpowering, while I use HA at 7%.

The Hangsen Desert Ship is one of my favorite tobaccos, FlavourArt not so much.

Figured I'd go big with that one, since I'm a HUGE Turkish tobacco fan. The TFA ones were$4 for 30 ml and I'll need a bunch, so I figured why not? :D

-Kingboomer

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Good to know on the INW. I'll start those at 3.33, my usual with that brand. I got this while asking about HS desert ship:

Figured I'd go big with that one, since I'm a HUGE Turkish tobacco fan. The TFA ones were$4 for 30 ml and I'll need a bunch, so I figured why not? :D

-Kingboomer

I feel the same way about the FA/HS Desert Ship; totally different taste between the two. I'm. It really not a fan of the FA DS.... HS pretty much owns "Desert Ship", when it comes to flavor. The FA DS, to me, just seems to be a rather spicy, pungent, synthetic tobacco flavor which takes way too long to steep out. The HS DS on the other hand is practically a shake and vape.

I just bought some INW Desert Ship but haven't mixed it yet.....we'll see how that pans out soon.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
So after diluting, we have to wait for steeping before putting it into a mix?

I don't wait I dilute and make sure it's completely disolved then use. Heat will help desolve it so a 1 hour bath in a 140F crock pot with a good shaking every 15 minutes should be all the prep you need.

Steeping may be required for what ever juice you add it to but it don't need to be steeped as part of the concentrate prep.

Last edited:

canevar

Sep 28, 2015
I don't wait I dilute and make sure it's completely disolved then use. Heat will help desolve it so a 1 hour bath in a 140F crock pot with a good shaking every 15 minutes should be all the prep you need.

Steeping may be required for what ever juice you add it to but it don't need to be steeped as part of the concentrate prep.
Thanks. It seems I couldn't succeed on dissolving it completely. Don't have crock pot, went through a few hot water baths. Stirred with magnetic stirrer. And yet thousands specks swimming in a green liquid. Will try a few more hot baths. Instead of pga I used vodka(which consists of pga and water), maybe that is what makes it difficult.

Reactions: Kenna

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Failure. Using vodka was not a good idea.

I had success using 151 pure grain alcohol (PGA); mixed 1 gram Rustica with 9 grams of PGA in a 50ml glass beaker, stuck it in a bowl of warm white rice (150 degrees) for 15 minutes, and used a milk frother to blend the mix; let the mix open air breathe for about 24 hrs.....then:

image.jpeg

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Thanks. It seems I couldn't succeed on dissolving it completely. Don't have crock pot, went through a few hot water baths. Stirred with magnetic stirrer. And yet thousands specks swimming in a green liquid. Will try a few more hot baths. Instead of pga I used vodka(which consists of pga and water), maybe that is what makes it difficult.

It kinda looking like swamp water with very fine particles in it is normal. The particles wont be that noticeable in your final mix. But everclear 190 proof PGA works best. If you got an ultrasonic cleaner then running it in that for about 2 hours will improve it. If the particles bother you, you can heat it to 160F and strain it through a coffee filter, even better if you have an aeropress. Doing that may help with coil cloging but you may sacrifice some taste.

canevar

Sep 28, 2015
:) have those flavours, will try when I finish the struggle with rustica.
swamp water with very fine particles

Yep, it looks like swamp water with particles. But after it cools down particles joins together and creates a muddy mass on top of the bottle. Anyway will try your suggestions. Next time I will definitely go with PGA.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
:) have those flavours, will try when I finish the struggle with rustica.

Yep, it looks like swamp water with particles. But after it cools down particles joins together and creates a muddy mass on top of the bottle. Anyway will try your suggestions. Next time I will definitely go with PGA.
It really shouldn't give you any problems in usage unless you fill a large tank and leave it sit for overnight before using. Even then I'd think you could get it mixed back easy enough.

It really doesn't need to be all that warm to mix well. Just get it a little warm, 85 to 90 degrees and it'll mix back with just a couple of shakes.

Reactions: canevar

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Alright, here's what I ordered:

50ml HS desert ship
10ml INW dark for pipe
10ml INW black for pipe
30ml TFA mild black (SC was sold out)

and just for the fun of it, 30ml TFA absinthe

Should get some interesting mixes once I've tasted all of these at stand alone.

-Kingboomer

EDIT: ...and it looks like I'll get it tomorrow :D
The Ina Black for Pipe is some good stuff. Mine is a fairly dark amber color, mild odor of tobacco, vanilla and coffee. I like it at 4% stand a lone. Vapes like it smells, mild pipe with a splash of capp and chocolate in there.

I have some TFA Capp that I've tried mixing in with some of my tobaccos a few times. My various recipes have all turned out pretty good but never as good as the Black. It's right on the money for my buds and will definitely be a repeat order when it's gone. YMMV, and all that. :vapor:

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Last edited:

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
OK, got my order in yesterday, mixed up 30ml of each at 3.33% and did some tasting yesterday and today. Here's my thoughts:

HS desert ship - Immediately after tasting, I mixed up another 30ml at 5% to use while the rest of these steep. IT'S THAT DAMN GOOD! I can hardly wait to see what some steep time does to this one.

INW black for pipe - It's good! Definitely needs some steep time but I can see getting a bigger bottle. Definitely taste a hint of dark fruit with some cocoa and coffee, I figure after a week or two the tobacco will come out to play more.

INW dark for pipe - Holy rum Batman! Tastes like a good spiced rum with brown sugar in it, I like it! Might not be an ADV for me, but it's good. Once again steep time will do this one good.

TFA mild and black - Not bad. Definitely a black and mild taste to it, but tastes chemically to me. Needs steep time for sure.

TFA absinthe - same as the mild black, needs to steep. It's licorice man! I'll use it stand alone and in some blends I'm working on.

There's my thoughts on the stuff. All in all I'm pleased with my purchase.

-Kingboomer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread