Seriously..... When Did Vaping Get Taken Over By The Scene Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
When kids discover something that annoys grownups they jump on it. Isn't that why we have them?
On another note, annoying as they can be (I don't even go into the local stores they hang out in) when it comes time that vaping may get banned or over regulated, nobody is going to make more noise about it then those kids. It's in their nature to rebel. I was a kid not too long ago. I used to believe in things too.
Clouds bro!

Reactions: Kprthevapr

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
Vape shops in Southern California tend to skew young, so this isn't a "new" thing around here. It has been this way for years. ECF skews older. I don't view either negatively. They should both be seen as positives. I don't want young, middle-aged, or old people to use tobacco cigarettes.

It's highly amusing that some posters are looking down on people because of their clothes, hair, piercings, etc. It's equally amusing that some are looking down on the cloud chasing scene. I've met several young cloud chasers that have used vaping to stay out of trouble. Instead of petty crimes and illegal drug use, they've turned to vaping. That's a fantastic thing.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Well, age? I'm 55 with 3+ years of vaping after quitting 30+ yrs of stinkies. And I, for one, don't think vaping will die out, not no way not no how. I'm not gonna quit vaping, not with all my stuffs.
0a6947e78d1e9745c0cab4ff932cb17b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Holy smokes Aceman, that is some collection! Good for you!

To the OP - There is not much of a vaping 'scene' in the UK where I live, but it seems to be the guys working in the B&M shops dressed like hipsters as you described are the same. They stand around filling the shop with obscenely large clouds and pushing high power PV's and rebuilable tanks.

Then there's me convincing them that all I ever really need is my nautilus mini and kanger subtank nano.... Half the time they sell me the wrong coils for my nautilus mini, either the Clapton ones which are too harsh or the Triton mini 1.2ohm coils that are rubbish for the nauti mini on a CF4... It's like they just grab a random coil and pass it over without even checking.... I tell them my juice preferences and they give me ones to try that do not even come close to what I described.... It's like they only care about sales.... I just have to work out which ones I might like from experience and often end up buying something that is excellent - but which they would never have offered me to try!

Only when I get the manager or the older, more mature sales people do I get what I want, tailored properly to me as a vaper desperate to get stuff that works to keep me off the cigs.

As for vaping in public where I live I find women have pen / ego type devices and men off all ages from teenagers to middle aged guys mostly have a CF4 / Kanger sub box /I-stick with mostly sub ohm tanks like the subtank mini / nano and a few have rebuildable drippers.... I've only seen hipster types with massive 200W devices and RDA/RBA's on blowing out huge could in public... I personally feel it looks a bit extreme, but if it keeps them off the cigs, it's all good.

Most of us UK vapers seem to go outside to vape even in pubs out of respect to others and for me, feeling odd blowing out such large clouds indoors... If a pub has an area that is quiet and out of the way I might vape indoors. Sometimes I stealth vape a few draws in shopping malls or the library, especially when cold outside and on public transport and nobody has ever batted an eyelid or asked me not to.

As far as attitudes to vaping they range from smokers who always seem to come up with 'yeah but you don't know what's in those things or the dangers' (erm what compared to the death sticks what you're sucking on) or just the mildly curious who just wonder what the weird thing in my hand is....

I love vaping and I say as long as we let people know what it is and educate them without being patronising or preachy, most of the public who don't smoke will see it as a preferable choice compared to smoking

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
I came across a place the other day that was closed but looked cool. Its a vape club type place. I was looking through the glass front and saw a pool table,few games,big tv with a huge sofa and a vape juice bar. If there were places like that when i was in my idiot stage i would have... maybe not been in so much trouble. Maybe...
I remember that alot of times when i ended up in trouble we were just bored,lol

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Except I didn't say "hipster" which I agree is pretty much what you posted there.
I would view someone like Rip Tripper as a hipster but less pretentious. Frankly, he cracks me up. Love his vids. I'd shop at his store if he had one.

I said, scene kids or "scenesters" which is basically this:
https://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2...06/19/18/enhanced-buzz-3306-1400539654-20.jpg

Or this if you're a dude:
http://t07.deviantart.net/MDDqnkj9c...ow_to_be_a_scene_kid___guys_by_nekogirlly.jpg

These are the late teens/early 20's crowd I was referring to.
They are the ones who have basically taken over every shop in town.
And I have nothing against how they look or dress. What gets me is the fact that if you just say "hello" to one of them, they act like you just touched one of their naughty places. "OMG..... This OLD person is talking to me and I had to stop posting on Facebook!"
Sorry. I didn't know scene kids even existed anymore!! They have disappeared around here. Now the town is overrun with hipsters and hipster/"punk rock" crosses. I was a goth in my teen years, myself, but I recall goths being more accepting of people than the hipsters and the scene kids are. But maybe that is just because I was one of them. :p

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Yeah choosing vaping over smoking or experimenting with other substances is a massive positive to me. I just hope the powers that be don't use it as a 'gateway drug' excuse to clamp down on it.

I't got me off a 23 year smoking habit that was wrecking my physical health, so I am forever grateful.

Also I must confess sometimes when stressed after work instead of drinking alcohol, I get a really tasty juice in my subtank nano and use it as a pleasure that combines - for me - the action of smoking and the pleasure and taste and light buzz of drinking all in one.

So I've cut down on both cigs AND booze which is great.

For people with addictive personalities and who use substances for stress relief- vaping can be a godsend. I know a lot of people get into the hobbyist / collector side of it too and that replaces the rituals they had regarding other things and fills that void and uses that energy.

I love vaping.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Nothing wrong with vaping having a cool image. This thing with the ears is disgusting though, not that cool. BTW, that mullet guy looks great! But a shop full of weird people doing weird things isn't going to help anything when they see the price tags.

I have more issues with the general push towards higher power. It's not for those who walk in a vape shop with battered lungs. Most shops do have some low power stuff, but it's not encouraged to give it a fair chance.

Reactions: mauricem00

ravnhaus

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 2, 2015
    Well, age? I'm 55 with 3+ years of vaping after quitting 30+ yrs of stinkies. And I, for one, don't think vaping will die out, not no way not no how. I'm not gonna quit vaping, not with all my stuffs.
    0a6947e78d1e9745c0cab4ff932cb17b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You have more stuff than some of our local shops!

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I feel like everyone is staring at me like, "what's this old fart doing in here?"

I'll soon be 75, you should see the looks I get when I walk in tootn' a 5 year old Mako with a RDA on it that's so old that they have never seen one before.

If they say anything, I'll just mention that sooner or later they'll learn how to vape. :lol:
    If they get snarky, I'll just swap out the little bitty 14500 battery in front of them.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 5, 2013
    I) Every time I go in these shops, I feel like the creepy old dude that shouldn't be there. They're filled with a bunch of late teen/early 20's kids with shaggy mop tops, gauged ears, pierced everything and skinny jeans. This is both the customers and the employees. I feel like everyone is staring at me like, "what's this old fart doing in here?"

I almost never see people my age vaping out in public unless it's an eGo stick or some other similar device. No one has mods or tanks except for the young kids. Then there's me with my little IPV D2 and Smok TFV4 mini. Meanwhile, the youngsters are all sucking on 200W mods with massive quad coil drippers and puffing away on such tasty sounding flavors like Dying Unicorn Blood and Sasquatch Poop.

Oh how I can relate to that!

I'm 61, and have had that same experience every time I've gone into a local B&M. Anymore I just stay out of those places. I don't feel at all welcome in them and they have nothing I need anyway. Showing up there with a sub-ohm genny on a mech will draw sneers from the youngsters blowing wall clouds from their dual 26650 mechs or their 200 watt box mods with giant .02 ohm drippers on top with half inch air holes in them. Not a scene I fit into at all. At one local B&M they vape Naked Fish juice, and the kids behind the counter are too busy flirting and socializing with each other, and posting to Facebunk to pay any attention to me.

Early on in my vaping journey I concentrated on being independent of the B&M's and I'm so very glad I did! I make my own juice, roll my own wicks, and wind my own coils.

Last edited:

Hotwire

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 20, 2010
    England
    Nothing wrong with vaping having a cool image. This thing with the ears is disgusting though, not that cool. BTW, that mullet guy looks great! But a shop full of weird people doing weird things isn't going to help anything when they see the price tags.

I have more issues with the general push towards higher power. It's not for those who walk in a vape shop with battered lungs. Most shops do have some low power stuff, but it's not encouraged to give it a fair chance.

I don't quite agree. But you have to get it right.

My Charlie's Chalk Dust 'Dream Cream' or Clutch 'Hat Trick' or Suicide Bunny - all my premium USA VG heavy liquids with - are all much smoother on the throat and chest at .5ohms and 30 watts in a subtank nano - than my Dad's crappy C5 clearo with 12mg high PG juice on an 1100MAH EGO, my Evod with 6mg high PG juice on my 650MAH EGO and is also even smoother than my Nautilus Mini with 1.8BVC coils and 50/50 juice at 15W.

I do only use 1.5mg or sometimes 3mg nic though, but high VG and sub ohm and higher watts (I consider 30W 'high' power') is definitely the smoothest and least irritating vape I've ever experienced. Plus the tastiest. Yum.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I don't quite agree. But you have to get it right.

My Charlie's Chalk Dust 'Dream Cream' or Clutch 'Hat Trick' or Suicide Bunny - all my premium USA VG heavy liquids with - are all much smoother on the throat and chest at .5ohms and 30 watts in a subtank nano - than my Dad's crappy C5 clearo with 12mg high PG juice on an 1100MAH EGO, my Evod with 6mg high PG juice on my 650MAH EGO and is also even smoother than my Nautilus Mini with 1.8BVC coils and 50/50 juice at 15W.

I do only use 1.5mg or sometimes 3mg nic though, but high VG and sub ohm and higher watts (I consider 30W 'high' power') is definitely the smoothest and least irritating vape I've ever experienced. Plus the tastiest. Yum.

You have been around long enough to know that CE5s & eGos aren't the only things us old guys use.
    P1010478_zpsaf70bafa.jpg

Several of those will vape quite nicely at about 60 watts if I so desired.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2015
    carson city nevada
    high VG juice may not have the throat hit of 50/50 VG/PG but high VG juice gives me a heavy feeling in my lungs. after 45 years of heavy smoking vaping has allowed my lungs to recover a great deal but I still find anything over 15 watts to be hot and unpleasant. I vape to stay of tobacco and we are all different.there is no one right way to vape. and I doubt that most people find large clouds impressive

newvaper92

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 28, 2015
    Jackson, Michigan
    Well, I'm 20 years old and I didn't smoke heavily before vaping. I only smoked that occasional cigar. I found myself wanting a cigar more and more often. When it began to be a cigar daily, I started vaping instead. I have no tattoos or piercings. I wear my pants up on my waist and don't show off my underwear. My three best friends are 27, 55, and 32. I guess I just never really found fun in being a 20-something idiot. To me, it seems like the old people have a lot of wisdom to share, so they're more interesting to hang out with than my age bracket.

That being said, I do love to chuck big clouds...
    I don't know where I fit into all of this either, I'm 23, not popular, no tattoos or piercings and don't want any, I don't wear trendy clothes (although I try to look good), and I didn't use vaping as a means of quitting smoking (although I did occasionally smoke). I've always been the good kid, never got into trouble or anything, and I didn't start vaping to tick my parents off (although I was afraid they would be anyway) and I pretty much hid it for 6 months. When I told them they were fine with it, just glad I'm not smoking cigarettes (both were long term smokers, mom quit a couple years ago and started vaping recently, dad smokes and vapes but is trying to quit cigs) I vape because I enjoy it. It just so happens I like big clouds and higher wattage ;) I try to be respectful with my vaping, not vaping in stores or other non smoking areas, and not annoying people with clouds.

SmilingWolf

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    I'm a 40 year old female who has yet to be in a vape shop. I started vaping last year, and I'm down to only a few analogs per day from a 20 year, pack a day plus habit.

I'm a working professional with two young children, and my husband is the only other vaper I know. We're definitely not doing it to be cool - we're vaping because it's been the only smoking cessation method that has been at all effective, and now we also enjoy the hobby aspect of collecting gear.

I don't know how I fit into it all as a middle aged mama who vapes, but I've found great advice, great information, and a sense of community reading through all the messages here on efc!

Last edited:

Ro Botski

Sep 10, 2015
    It pretty much always has been a scene thing. Seriously, check out the comedian Liam Lynch (I feel personally responsible for him making new Raven vids because he stopped for a really long time and as soon as I spread around the old ones and got them a huge surge in views via fb and Reddit he suddenly started making them again) he's been doing the "Raven" videos for a while now, and the character he made up is a scene/emo vape kid that's "been into vaping from the very beginning". The reason for this character is that there really are a ton of scene kids that started a couple years ago and act like "OG Vapers".

Reactions: anavidfan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread