Buying your kids E-Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathogenius

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
BC
This is why we can't have nice things... :(

You mean because we live in a culture of self centered zombies who should never even be allowed to have children in the first place because they are too busy buying fake breasts, narcotics, organic pet food and pet health care, and whatever else their pathetic lifestyles require, and honestly don't care about their own children enough to raise them responsibly?

If so I tend to agree. Liberties are taken, not handed out. I heard it in a song once...

Last edited:

sonneraw

Dec 8, 2013
Austin,Texas
I became addicted to nicotine via paper cigarettes at the age of 13 as well.
(First had a couple puffs of a cigar courtesy of my uncle when I was 10/11.)
The fact that I smoked was condoned and on more than one occasion my parents bought me packs of cigarettes WELL below the legal age.
My parents were/are extremely logical and "optimists deep-rooted in reality" and realized that demonizing tobacco use potentially would encourage heavier more indiscriminate use later down the road.
Fast forward to the past couple of years, and I have had the side-effects of paper cigarettes stare me straight in the face and have had to deal with them.
The point of this narrative is to comment that I wish vaporizers were around at the time of my interest in tobacco, and I don't see the problem of parenting your kids in a way that is centered around reality and trust.
As long as they are not exposed to domestic violence/trashy use of expletives/learned hatred/learned laziness and entitlement/poor work ethic and motivation, they should do as they wish as long as they are productive and interested members of society.
Loosen the leash.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Do parents have the right to parent their own children without interference from arrogant bystanders? They used to.
Do bystanders have the right to Interfere in the personal lives of others? They do now, but didn't used to.
Did our soldiers fight and die for the right to freedom? They thought so at the time.
Are we now a country that spits on our soldiers graves as we personally attack the rights of others? I'm afraid we are.
Who needs the spanking here? The parent, the child, the bystander or the soldier?
I know my answer, and yes, it is that cut and dry of an answer.

Pathogenius

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
BC
Uma, I'm detecting a note of cynicism in your post ;-), and one thing I've learn about that the hard way, it's quite useless. We aren't all 'that' way as you know.

Some friendly albeit unsolicited advice? There may come a time when cynicism turns to nihilism, and at that point you may want to simply turn your back on all those zombies, hopefully temporarily, and focus on those that give hope.

"They know not what they do."

sobi

Mar 31, 2012
US
I too, would order vaping equipment online. I was 12, and in 8th grade when I noticed the smell of smoke on my fingers made me drool for break so I could smoke. I smoked for 45 years. I have copd, I've been in the hospital many times to stay alive and breath. I have equipment, oxygen tanks, a fairly large and ugly oxygen concentrator on wheels, nebulizer, etc.

I would not merely get them vaping equipment, I would buy them charms, glitter cases, brass snakes, what ever they wanted. And if I were 18, I would listen when someone tells you that you are way too young to judge parenting skills, and should refrain.

At 18, passion is often mistaken for principle or ethic. It isn't. It is hormone.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Do parents have the right to parent their own children without interference from arrogant bystanders? They used to.
Do bystanders have the right to Interfere in the personal lives of others? They do now, but didn't used to.
Did our soldiers fight and die for the right to freedom? They thought so at the time.
Are we now a country that spits on our soldiers graves as we personally attack the rights of others? I'm afraid we are.
Who needs the spanking here? The parent, the child, the bystander or the soldier?
I know my answer, and yes, it is that cut and dry of an answer.

In most cases I agree 100% however there are parents who do stupid things like abuse, neglect, buying kids alcohol for home parties and letting participants leave. Once the government decides it's in the best interest of children, they try to make laws to combat the "stupid". Sometimes they are needed laws, such as abuse and neglect. Sometimes they are overreaching like taking toys out of Happy Meals. I have no issues with a parent that buys their kid smokes, ecigs, or even allow them to drink on New Year's eve as long as it is OUT of the public eye. However I also understand walking into an establishment and buying any of those with the kid present and then handing over the vice in public can and will cause problems for everyone. I am just saying that some things you have to do "on the down low".

Last edited:

Kim B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
STL MO
I too, would order vaping equipment online. I was 12, and in 8th grade when I noticed the smell of smoke on my fingers made me drool for break so I could smoke. I smoked for 45 years. I have copd, I've been in the hospital many times to stay alive and breath. I have equipment, oxygen tanks, a fairly large and ugly oxygen concentrator on wheels, nebulizer, etc.

I would not merely get them vaping equipment, I would buy them charms, glitter cases, brass snakes, what ever they wanted. And if I were 18, I would listen when someone tells you that you are way too young to judge parenting skills, and should refrain.

At 18, passion is often mistaken for principle or ethic. It isn't. It is hormone.

Thank you for sharing your story. I wish that vaping had been around in my youth. I started smoking at 14, primarily to be "cool". By the time I was 16 I was smoking a pack a day. At 18, I watched a family member die of lung cancer slowly and painfully. I remember sitting in that hospital room, watching him waste away, day after day, and then taking smoke breaks outside when it became too much. I wouldn't want any teen to have to go through that awful feeling of smoking that cigarette, knowing first hand the damage they can do, but being so addicted that they smoked it anyway.

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
A few nights ago an older woman came in with her "kids" who had to be no older than 12.
They were getting her to buy them a Sentinel clone, igo-w, and 0mg nicotine juice.
PARTY FOUL!

What planet am I on?

On this planet, if kids are chewing gum that contains 0% nicotine, do the elders have some sort of problem with that? Or is there some rationalizing that suggests, 0% nic today leads to 5% nic gum later on, and then who knows what, but probably something really really evil?

Coming from a person that started smoking at age 13, written to an audience who's average age for starting smoking was likely around 16 and magically some are alive to tell about that some 60 years later.

But vaping 0% nicotine, and OMG! Stop the presses! You Ukrainians and Syrians can pause on your civil war for just a moment, to take note of this. Someone just inhaled vapor laced with 0% nicotine over there in America and they cried foul. Next thing you know they'll be drinking flavored water laced with 0% alcohol. Oh the humanity.

Panthersoul

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Roscoe, IL, USA
Im with Jman. my feelings :'(

ill be 23 next month. i was using nic gum at 15. if youre underage you can call an inusurance company and see their quitting program. yea under age they gave nic alternatives to stop me from smoking. a parent at the time couldnt. but the ones insuring you could. if only vaping was aroun then. i know abunch of kids 16-17 that vape. i have a gf with a younger sis (17) and my friends have younger siblings. they all have evod kits. the older siblings would pay me to make up a 0 nic bottle since thats what i vape. do i care its goign to someone 16-17? not to much. its out of my hands once they buy and give it to them. but i know the olders would buy them cigs before vaping was here. so i support under 18 only if it is already an addiction.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
I don't have a problem with kids vaping - but then, until proven otherwise, I'm of the opinion that vaping is harmless.

Would I encourage kids to vape? No - no more than I'd encourage them to drink.

People - especially vapers - need to get the idea out of their heads that vaping=smoking because for a lot of vapers, buried somewhere in their subconscious, it still is smoking.

Having a dependency on anything compromises your quality of life, but a nicotine dependency (sans all the cancer-causing stuff) is probably one of the most benign you could have (along with caffeine) so honestly, kids vaping? Why do we care?

Last edited:

Pathogenius

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
BC
Having a dependency on anything compromises your quality of life, but a nicotine dependency (sans all the cancer-causing stuff) is probably one of the most benign you could have (along with caffeine) so honestly, kids vaping? Why do we care?
'We' really don't care, 'we' want to APPEAR to be caring. Appearances are of top priority in our culture.

If we cared we would have not allowed our governments to dramatically raise the allowable limits of radioactivity in food, post Fukushima.

Last edited:

bilbobaggins30

Vapin' Hobbit
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
The Shire
I don't have a problem with kids vaping - but then, until proven otherwise, I'm of the opinion that vaping is harmless.

Would I encourage kids to vape? No - no more than I'd encourage them to drink.

People - especially vapers - need to get the idea out of their heads that vaping=smoking because for a lot of vapers, buried somewhere in their subconscious, it still is smoking.

I had a caffeine addiction at 13. So I have been addicted 8 years. So if it is benign than I fall into that category then. I have withdrawals that literally make me bed ridden sick, as in not functional. I can work through a lot, he'll I worked through the flu before and this was bad. Just an observation, carry on.

Sent from the Shire

If they smoke I think it's a better alternative sure; but it's best not to create a nicotine addiction if they don't have one.

Either way, I'd say the most important thing would be to get them away from tobacco flavours as fast as possible, and so only non tobacco flavours should be anywhere near children, whether they are smokers or not. There's clearly less chance they would go near a nasty cigarette for a nicotine hit if they hate the taste of the thing.

I liked to smoke but hate the taste of cigs, that's why I would get the strongest menthol short of Newport's.... Those will choke a horse!!!!
Hahahahahaah...............

8-o8-o8-o:nah::nah::shock:

Worzel

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Why in the H-E-doublehockeysticks would kids even want to pick up smoking now? It has got to be a real hassle, impossible to hide! Back when I was a teenager, the only real worry was the parents catching us smoking. If we were caught smoking in school, the hall monitors, at the worst, issued us detentions. The cops looked the other way, and convenience store or gas station cashiers would rather sell cigarettes than card, because there were no sting operations or fines. When I was a teenager, some public indoor places just banned smoking, but there were still ashtrays in the bathrooms which still smelled like stale smoke. No harm, no foul. Now, what are the penalty for students caught smoking? Suspension, talk with the principal, deal with the "resource officer"? I wonder if CPS gets called? Now stores have "eye in the sky" so cashiers aren't taking any chances. There are fines for adults who smoke where they shouldn't, wonder what happens to kids and their parents if a cop catches them smoking? If I were a kid, I would just say "ahhhhh forget it!"

Oh yeah, doesn't Washington State have a law that you can't even smoke in your house if you have minors in there?

Last edited:

LEDBETTER122

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Alabama
Well, you just shot my parenting techniques in the ...., didn't you? Whippersnapper. Why in my day, our parents tossed us in the closet and threw in some occasional bourbon and ramen noodles. And we liked it. You kids with your fresh air and food.

I have no kids. Were I to discover that my nieces had picked up a smoking habit, I'd offer to pay for their starter eGo systems to get them off the coffin nails.

Were they to ask for one and didn't have a habit, the answer would be an unfettered "No." With an explanation as to why it's a bad idea.

**To the parents whose kids are trying to make them get them one of these**
Understand these are being regulated as tobacco products. There are better options to quitting them getting them into this.

It is because now-adays, letting your child cry to teach them "Self-Soothing" is considered neglect, and smacking your child’s .... because they are being destructive in the grocery store is considered "Abuse".

Society has made parents "Afraid" of being PARENTS, therefore integrating the mindset "If you can't stop them, might as well help them".

Same concept with sex, parents can't punish children for having sex early, because CPS (Child Protective Services) will be knocking on your door, so you might as well buy them condoms so they have "Safe-sex".

My neighbor is very nosy and she came over one day (Because she is friends with my girlfriend) with her baby. She looked at me and said "I don't think it’s right to let a baby cry and I hear her (My Daughter) crying all the time". I told her you know why and she looked at me......I told her to hand me her baby and LITTERALY not even 15 seconds later this baby threw her hands up BALLING wanting "Mommy" to pick her up. Then I handed her my daughter and I said "Alright well I’m going to go make some coffee". I came back maybe 5 minutes later and my daughter was just smiling away looking around.

I took my daughter back and I said "That's why".

She made it seem like I let her cry any time she cries. I make sure she is fed, and make sure she is changed and I hold her and love on her some, and if she is still crying, I just let her cry. It builds character and teaches them to be self dependent.

Buuuut, in todays world that is being neglectful, so I guess I'm a bad parent for teaching independence to a child growing up in a "Lazy" Self-un-reliant world

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread