Buying your kids E-Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mixed feelings about it. I started vaping to get off analogs. Well my 15 year old son wanted to try the flavor so i let him. He asked his mom for her old ecig then asked me if it was ok to vape 0 nic. I told him i would prefer he didn't but if you forbid something it becomes taboo and they go behind your back and do it anyway. I am hopping this is just a fad and he will get bored with it and put it away.
They seem to know more about sex, weed and dope from all the trash music they listen too then i ever did at their age.
Its better to be bent by the wind then broken by the elephant.
IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
in a perfect world ecigs would replace cigarettes and make them obsolete, the smokers stigma will transfer to the ecigs (at lower levels) so the kids that end up smoking will just end up vaping but I don't like that the kids see the vaping as a much lower risk option and for that reason begin to vape (if the health issue is not that big as analogs it is a much more appealing thing to do so more kids are going to end up vaping)
I'm sorry I'm not being that clear (english is not my main language)

lets say out of a sample of 10 newborns: (this are statistics made up in my mind but good for illustrating the issue)
if the only option is smoking 3 will end up doing it
if the only option is vaping 5 will end up doing
if both are options 1 will smoke and 5 will vape

Dreaswi

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Tennessee, USA
It drives me nuts to see teens in the B&M. I work in one and we ID and refuse sales if we feel it is being purchased for someone else. I just want to bang my head into the wall when I check an ID and see the kid's birthday is that day or a few days ago. Most of them are NOT getting zero nic.

It only takes one person to start a revolution.

Pathogenius

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
BC
I'm still wondering what some peoples objection is. To me it's a silly joke that kids would think its cool, but I guess that's because authority is so against it?

Am I missing something or is there something dangerous about vaping on its own? I mean, kids punch a hole on a can of Lysol and huff that, they .........e while suffocating themselves, they watch 'twilight' for heavens sake!

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
If I were a kid these days, you could not keep me away from all this e-cig vaping stuff under threat of a felony conviction. More controversial this all becomes the cooler it gets, no getting around that. Plus I was into electronics and drugs, and e-cigs and nicotine would have fit the bill. If adults would have hated e-cigs had they been around in my youth, I'd have have tooted that horn even louder.

The kids get the vote of this old fart. Go ahead, vape it up, Johnny. God bless, who gives a damn. I still remember how it was at your age, anyone who doesn't is either full of it, in denial, or a total bore. Just be careful. Like my cheap and lazy parents used to say to me for my own good once I was old enough to know better, "If you get in any trouble, we're not bailing you out."

LimeFox

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Florida, USA
With kids that young they probably aren't physically addicted. It is all just mental.

There is nothing magical about being eleven years old that prevents addiction. There are eleven year olds in the world already addicted to any and all substances that cause addiction.

Or if they are "addicted" because they smoked for maybe less than a year it wouldn't be hard for them to quit cold turkey.

I had been smoking for six weeks when I first tried to quit cold turkey (and I was wayyy older than eleven).

Twenty+ years later, I'm still working on it.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
I wonder how a B&M can refuse selling to a minor when it isn't illegal per local state law.

I mean that whole we reserve the right to refuse service doesn't fly in 2014, you would be opening yourself up to a lawsuit unless my understanding is flawed.

I'm suing X named B&M for discrimination, they wouldn't sell to my son Tommy who is 14. Discrimination could be too white, black, short...see what I mean?

With that said one should be required to meet a minimum age requirement (17?) to buy vape gear and liquid. I have 17 and 15 year old sons, the 17 ignores my vaping but the 15 is too curious and even made remarks about trying it.

We (I) tout its safeness to our children without thinking about how the child perceives what were actually trying impart.

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
If they smoke I think it's a better alternative sure; but it's best not to create a nicotine addiction if they don't have one.

Either way, I'd say the most important thing would be to get them away from tobacco flavours as fast as possible, and so only non tobacco flavours should be anywhere near children, whether they are smokers or not. There's clearly less chance they would go near a nasty cigarette for a nicotine hit if they hate the taste of the thing.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
There is nothing magical about being eleven years old that prevents addiction. There are eleven year olds in the world already addicted to any and all substances that cause addiction.

This is very true. At 11 my cousin already had an addiction to a very serious injected drug. At 29 she was dead.

On the topic.
I have a very strong gut level H--- NO! reaction to underage vaping. It is not reasonable or rational but it is what it is and I own it.

As far as regulation goes I fall amongst the party that is ok with laws forbidding purchase by those under 18 BUT I do not want underage USE included in that. I believe strongly in a parents right to decide what is and is not ok for their kid. If a parent wants to buy and ecig for their kid be it to break an existing habit or prevent the forming of one then that should be up to them not the government.

I might grit my teeth because of my gut level reaction but it is the parents decision and not my business.

schuff

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2013
Dickson, TN
I believe parents should hammer down more when they find their kids smoking. Not looking for safer alternatives for their kids.

My parents weren't proactive enough when I started dipping, smoking and chewing at 14. Buddies had older cousins and since I got my license at 15 I could always get it somewhere. At 21 I had 1/3 of my lower jaw cut out and in my smart mind started smoking instead.

When I caught my brother smoking at 16 I said screw that. Locked him in the house for a month with school's permission, took the battery out of his car and let him freak out. When he was ready to go back to school I told him if I found out he was using tobacco products of any kind I would literally make him wish he was dead. See my brother isn't scared of a beating but he hates manual labor. So he knew I meant I would make every living second of his life be pulling weeds, cutting grass, tilling the garden etc.

Was it radical at the time, absolutely. Is my brother a completely tobacco free successful 22 year old now that is grateful I did that to him, absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pathogenius

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
BC
Ohms Lawbreaker pretty much nailed it AFAIAC, but one thing I would add, is that I'm not so sure anymore that nicotine is all that addicting, as say compared to potatoe chips salted with disodium guanalate/isonate / mono sodium glutamate, or high fructose corn syrup, etc. Recently I vaped a DIY tobacco mix with no nic but one hell of a throat hit. Sure there was something missing, but I made it through the day. This from a person who would recycle the tobacco in my ashtray full of fags to get my fix.

hazarada

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2013
buttville
I wanna bring up a controversial point - By the time i was around 20, i realized how hooked i was on nicotine (started around 15). So while in college, that led me to turn down offers for hard drugs since at that point i already knew how easy it is to get addicted. If i didn't know that, I'm quite sure i would have at least given them a go. So, maybe for the kind of personality that would try and enjoy drugs, it would actually be beneficial to get the addiction experience early on with something milder?

Well i can say for sure for my country and workplace being in retail:
< 18 no alchohol or booze
recently
< 18 no vape

Everyone younger then 21 years have to show ID.

For alchohol it becomes a bit weird..

For example some 18 year old girl/guy walks into the store alongside some 16 year olds.. While they are inside the store they split up and they 18 year old grabs some beer and the other grab some candy. They go to checkout together.

BY LAW: i am required to ask every last one of them for an ID. all have to be 18.

Example II: A mother and son .. Mother buys alchohol.. BY LAW: i am required to ask if that alchohol is for her use only. 0_0

Well basically it then goes like this: everyone under 18 just waits outside to receive the goods the 18 year old or MOM buys ;)

For cigs its a little less strict but ppl can totally avoid it.

As a retailer we can restrict everyone as much as the law makes us too.. but they will get around it anyhow.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I thought I was being a good parent buying my kids esmokes! Took two of my kids in the adult store to pick their own systems out and customize them themselves. I spent a lot of money getting them for them. I would rather see my kids vaping than smoking cigarettes. My kids are in their thirties. LOL

bilbobaggins30

Vapin' Hobbit
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
The Shire
If it is 0 mg juice, whatever. I don't want them having nicotine. But 0 mg in my book is fine, I am still addicted to the motion (hand to mouth interaction, always have been), and I need a throat hit, so I stick with 18mg nic. If I could find a 0 mg juice that could do that, I would be off nic quickly. In fact I applaud that lady who got her child 0 mg juice. Nip the habit before it becomes one, with vaping.

Pathogenius

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
BC
If I could find a 0 mg juice that could do that, I would be off nic quickly.

Ask your vendor for a strong tobacco vape with no nic. If they don't have it, run, don't walk, to the next nearest vendor, because they are parasitic opportunists just as wicked as big pharma.

---

Hazarada vs HauntedMyst, the difference in maturity between these two blows me away...

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Tell me about it. I almost remember the first moon landing (I did see it live, but I was too young to remember it, really)

I just watched this great documentary, called Race To The Moon: Behind the Scenes of Mission Control. It was fantastic. The work ethic and education of all those people in the control center was so impressive,Their level of accountability, and willingness to accept consequence, was also amazing. I am really not sure we could duplicate any of that now.

P.S. My idea of a good parent is one who doesn't pay for their kids' vape stuff, etc. Most of these kids are old enough to bag groceries or run a paper route. A male relative of mine just found out their ex wife was paying for their 18 year old's cell phone, and went ballastic. The kid doesn't work. I sure agree with the male relative.

Kids wouldn't do half the stuff they do if easy money wasn't available. Maybe that's why we were pretty good kids when I was growing up, we didn't have 5 cents to use to do much of anything. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread