Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm not buying a new coil jig for a single rta. Why should I?

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Hey, I always thought if you needed a coil wound clockwise you went in a clockwise direction, and anticlockwise the reverse. But what do I know.o_O

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Hey, I always thought if you needed a coil wound clockwise you went in a clockwise direction, and anticlockwise the reverse. But what do I know.o_O
Just checked my original post. "Clinton clear clockwise", damn autocorrect while using the SlideIt keyboard :D My jig doesn't wrap coils that way but it sure would be interesting :D

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I'm not buying a new coil jig for a single rta. Why should I?

Then don't! My comment was meant for those that don't own one, or never used one. I had an early version, but liked all the improvements of the larger V3, so I bought that model as well. An inexpensive device that makes coiling winding dead easy. I have a few RTA's that require the opposite wind, but would get a V3 or now the V4, regardless. Personally, I don't care if folks like winding on drill bits or screws, but the ease of use for a CM jig is hard to deny.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Personally, I don't care if folks like winding on drill bits or screws, but the ease of use for a CM jig is hard to deny.

I have one that gets zero use.
I only use spaced coils and though others don't seem to have trouble with the CM, I find it to be a pain.
So, I use an appropriate sized machine screw. Well, my lovely coil and wick assistant does.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I only use spaced coils and though others don't seem to have trouble with the CM, I find it to be a pain.
So, I use an appropriate sized machine screw. Well, my lovely coil and wick assistant does.

I wind mostly spaced.
Pass it on to "KenD"! :)

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I wind mostly spaced.
Pass it on to "KenD"! :)

You know, I'm making a list of vape related items that I will never use for the PIF thread. I've got spools of wire I'll never use. Tanks, mods, drip tips, and now that you mention it, a Coil Master.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
no issues making spaced ss coils with my CM. wind it tight, spread it out and push it back together, and done.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
For contact-coils I like these jigs, as they are quicker and more precise and don't need pinching afterwards, but for spaced coils it's even faster to do them on a precision-screwdriver for me, or I often use a mandrel that are divided up into thicker and thicker parts as going up(a couple bucks on fasttech e.g.), from 1.5mm to 3.5mm. Winding them freehand with little space between and then pressing together a couple times and it's a perfect spaced coil imho. OK, I agree they are slightly prettier too when made with such jigs granted. To each there own of course.

I like the engine nano, with a big ID coil, but currently run my merlin more as to me have better taste and denser vapor + more smooth draw/airflow.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
For contact-coils I like these jigs, as they are quicker and more precise and don't need pinching afterwards, but for spaced coils it's even faster to do them on a precision-screwdriver for me, or I often use a mandrel that are divided up into thicker and thicker parts as going up(a couple bucks on fasttech e.g.), from 1.5mm to 3.5mm. Winding them freehand with little space between and then pressing together a couple times and it's a perfect spaced coil imho. OK, I agree they are slightly prettier too when made with such jigs granted. To each there own of course.

I like the engine nano, with a big ID coil, but currently run my merlin more as to me have better taste and denser vapor + more smooth draw/airflow.
Merlin or Merlin Mini?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I have a Youde (?) coil jig. I rarely use the spin cylinder thingy to turn the wire. I use the base to secure one end of the wire to the handle, then wind on the mandrel size I chose. Pop the mandrel off with the coil on it, shape it a bit, then use the mandrel to help position and hold the coil while mounting on the deck. Simple workflow for me.

Sometimes for contact coils in addition to wrapping tightly/contact, I'll the turning cylinder to help compress the coil before mounting.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I use the CM v4 all the time, and always make spaced coils. I don't put too much pressure on the rotator piece, find that it takes just a few seconds to turn the coil into a spaced one when I pulse at low power and strum the coil a bit with ceramic tweezers.

I used one of the ft Mandrels for months, it served well, but I find the CM cleaner, especially for CCW coils.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Deleted for confusion

Where are you getting those specs from? It reads identically to the SUB mini on the OBS website under the same name for the tank, but there's nothing about a single coil deck, and the 0.2 ohm heating coil wording is what they use for their factory coil.
Looks like the SUB mini is using a notch coil, could be interesting...

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Not really. Notch coils are terrible.
I never had a problem with notch coils, even ran them in the Genelocity Giant for a while...
EZhFZdOl.jpg

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Love my Wismec notch coils, long lasting, don't get too gunked up, works well for me in TC MODE. In fact when I get this new OBS Nano on Monday, ordered on Friday, that's 3 days, you can keep those cheap Chinese web sites, and customs ......!

First thing I'll be throwing in a SS Wismec Notch coil, and some rayon.

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Merlin or Merlin Mini?
I only run single-coil currently and can't live with such low capacity so only ever gotten the full size merlin, and was lucky to never have seepage/leaking, except the usual slight condensation-ring normally found after extended use. I used to vape 20-25ml's a day, but am now down to 10ml's roughly(with single-coil and higher nic than before, gone from 3 to now 6mg). I know the mini is one of the most regarded for single-coils, more than the full-size, but 2ml's just sounds like such a chore personally. I used to drip full-time, so atleast it's "better" than that :) I thought 4ml's was bad initially, but with single-coil it's fine to me... I didn't get the ammit initially, because it was 3.5ml, but that's doable too I know see... If I got the merlin-mini it would probably be fine too, but i'm just a little set in my ways it seems, or how it's put... I've not even tried TC ever yet, lol, but am going to get some SS wire and check it out soon I think, as i'm intrigued by the promise of more smooth vape and battery-savings it also can bring, in addition of the usual high-light of protection of dry-hits. It also makes sense to set the temp, instead of wattage to me, as the temp(heatflux) will vary greatly in same wattage setting between different gauges/lengths/types of the wire. Ohh, sorry for blabbing on off-topic :)

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Love my Wismec notch coils, long lasting, don't get too gunked up, works well for me in TC MODE. In fact when I get this new OBS Nano on Monday, ordered on Friday, that's 3 days, you can keep those cheap Chinese web sites, and customs ......!

First thing I'll be throwing in a SS Wismec Notch coil, and some rayon.
Well there ya go. It just goes to show you no matter how bad a product is there is someone out there that likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread