Destroying Atlantis coils, what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyO

Feb 17, 2015
Michigan
To keep it short, my coils are lasting a day on average. I vape a 12mg store bought Skittles flavor and occasionally mix it with 18mg Menthol juice between 25-30 watts. The coils taste burnt and get clogged with some black crud. I'm priming the coils with juice, doing the dry hits that's recommended, essentially everything by the book but I can't get any decent lifespan out of these coils. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425163219.107172.jpg

Metal Storm

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
Mid TN USA
Those heads are capable of much better performance than that. I got over two weeks with the original coil that came in mine. It wicks max VG liquid that my local store makes for drippers.

It did take a while for it to start wicking at first, despite priming it a lot. After priming, then sitting for a day with the new coil in there, it's been perfect ever since. I vape it at 30 watts on an iStick.

Are you fully saturating the wick before installing it in the base?

I would use less nicotine, regardless. Everything I vape in it is 3mg nic.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
On Day 2 with my current coil, and it's still performing acceptable. Still an uneasy feeling that it'll go at any time. Bummer, cause I eventually wanted to run max VG and push the limits of these coils, but I'm already doing that it seems without any of the associated fun!

One would assume if you made any changes to what you were doing and things improved, those changes were at least a step in the right direction. Adding Elvis' comments on sweet/dare/menthol juices and yours about max VG, it could be that you are pushing several areas to the limit, especially if chain vaping (but that would seem unlikely if you are running 18 nic juice, strong for sub ohming, but some do).

The black crud I've noticed is more intense with the sweeter the juice. I vape max vg 80% or higher on an iPV3 @ 25 watts I'm getting about 2 weeks per coil, but I vape like a mad person.
My trick - when putting in a new coil I drip ejuice on the wick on the outside of the coil until they stop sucking it in then drip some on the inside of the coil. Between 5-6 vape pulls I dry prime which I can see air bubbles coming out. At night I store the entire box mode in an upright position, which seems to now extend the life of my coils as opposed to laying the unit on its side.

DaddyO

Feb 17, 2015
Michigan
Sweet or dark or thick or artificially colored / sweetened juices or menthol's made with dissolved menthol crystals clog wicking material & gunk coils rapidly.

Oops! I was mixing both in the tank, well no wonder then. any suggestions on a pleasant flavor that's not a coil slayer? I was also considering running Menthol and unflavored VG as I was a Menthol analog smoker and enjoy it.

BrushyHillGuide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Sabinal, TX
Try different juices. My wife plays mad scientist with our max VG juices (mostly dessert flavors) in her Atlantis tank and she still gets 10-14 days out of a coil head.
We use Dr. Crimmy's and ITCVapes juices with no problem. Same juice as our drippers take also works in our Atlantis tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteamShower

Mar 17, 2015
Windsor ON
I recently picked up an Atlantis tank. I wish I didn't. My needs are more towards a nic fix and not a cloud. The tank burns through e-juice quicker then I ever thought and my coils only last 4-5 days max going through 4(ish) ml a day.

Impressive vapor and flavor... sure
economical? not really IMHO

I wish they had a 1.0-1.5 omh coil available so I could pair it with a smaller bore drip tip on the smallest air hole for an everyday vape.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
im finding my atlantis coils are tasting burnt after about 5-7 days...i was expecting a month of use for each coil....i run about 4-6 mls of juice per day and chain vape so maybe that is the issue

20-44 ml. of e-liquid is well over what coil/wicks like that generally average...

Alto101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
North Carolina
20-44 ml. of e-liquid is well over what coil/wicks like that generally average...

I disagree. My estimate is that these coils average about 20-44 ml's before starting to noticeably degrade. That is what the majority of reports that I have read suggest and my personal experience as well. Do you have any support for your guess? I know you don't use these types of products so I am curious as to where you are getting your numbers from...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I disagree. My estimate is that these coils average about 20-44 ml's before starting to noticeably degrade. That is what the majority of reports that I have read suggest and my personal experience as well. Do you have any support for your guess? I know you don't use these types of products so I am curious as to where you are getting your numbers from...

Small coils and small wicks in clearos lose flavor and vapor after around 10-15 ml. I have friends who use them. They don't stretch them out to save a few $...

Alto101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
North Carolina
Small coils and small wicks in clearos lose flavor and vapor after around 10-15 ml. I have friends who use them. They don't stretch them out to save a few $...

Thanks for the very convincing evidence from your friend!
I still maintain that with most liquids these coils will last longer than 10-15 ml's. Vape on and be happy...

DaddyO

Feb 17, 2015
Michigan
I've probably ran close to 30ml in my current Atlantis coil and the vapor production and flavor has degraded enough to prompt me to change it, though it's not burnt or dry hitting. My local B&M charges $3.50 per coil which is more than reasonable to me, rivals online pricing last I checked.

Edit: since I've abandoned yellowish fruity flavor and went to minty clear ones, my coil life has increased significantly. Bummed in a sense as I enjoyed the sweet flavors, but not at the expensive of constantly going through coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread