Alexander Mundy's Magic Twisted Ribbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Podunk Steam

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2014
United States
It should have a smidge more resistance than 30 gauge NI200 going by cross sectional area.
So extrapolating from experience MM made from it should land approximately 0.3 ohm per foot. (at room temp)
When I get it and make some I will find out how good my clairvoyance is.

Thanks for the reading! Call me lazy, I just didn't want to do a circular mills calc and don't know the make up of the wire either, clairvoyance testing commences. LOL!

TyCreek

Another Vaper
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2013
Treasure Valley
Got just a little time to try a twisted ribbon nickel coil and seems to work ok ...

Wire didn't twist up anything like kanthal but I made a quick coil from it anyhow. It ended up just barely fitting in a Nuppin and came in at .1 ohm...
https://vimeo.com/124376445

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
pe4e8u4u.jpg

Sent from the zoo using Tapatypo 2

About how thick is this wire on the AWG scale when everything is said and done?

This is for those 250 Watt Builds (like who needs 250 Watt Builds(?)) you could push about a 1000 watts after all the Math has been done, take in all the other variables, ohms, amps, resistance.

99 Pages for a post. That is just silly.

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
salt&PePPer" data-source="post: 15594063" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
salt&PePPer said:
This is for those 250 Watt Builds (like who needs 250 Watt Builds(?)) you could push about a 1000 watts after all the Math has been done, take in all the other variables, ohms, amps, resistance.

99 Pages for a post. That is just silly.

Not sure what you're try to say :confused:

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
Not sure what you're try to say :confused:

Point being who needs a 1000 Watts let alone 250 Watts - stop the insanity. It's just pecker measuring after an arbitrary Point. If 85 Watts or 150 Watts works then fine but there is a point where Mankind has to throw their hands up and say - that's way more than enough.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Point being who needs a 1000 Watts let alone 250 Watts - stop the insanity. It's just pecker measuring after an arbitrary Point. If 85 Watts or 150 Watts works then fine but there is a point where Mankind has to throw their hands up and say - that's way more than enough.

Please quote the 1000W or 250W post(s) you are referring too that is(are) in this thread so we may understand your point.

The picture you showed is a 25 Watt build.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

TyCreek

Another Vaper
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2013
Treasure Valley
Has anybody figured out how to get this wire to properly fold up on the single strand twist?

I've tried light to heavy tension and even padded/plastic/metal clamp surfaces with near dead center twist.
With light tension the wire knots up before folding and as I increased the tension the wire breaks many times before starting to fold.

Heaviest tensions did yield a bit of fold but breaking has provided me with only a few very short sections of folded ribbon.

Dang, guess I really am in a rut! This has been available for at least 8 days and I just stumbled across it.........

7b89301cc84b5cf6a35952c3d71312ce_zpslrej3dec.jpg

Will keep you informed.

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
Please quote the 1000W or 250W post(s) you are referring too that is(are) in this thread so we may understand your point.

The picture you showed is a 25 Watt build.

Ambiguity, gotta love it. That and 99 - 100 page postings makes getting the "Jist" of a post tough. Oh well.

But 1000 Watts, I could see that working in certain Ecig Juice hookins...

Last edited:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Salt & Pepper, please refrain from posting here unless you have something to say that pertains to this thread. You obviously have an agenda against large wattage and this thread has nothing to do with that or cloud chasing. I'm asking nicely but will report further posts that do not pertain to this thread from you.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Well, got my NI200 0.5X0.1 tempered ribbon wire. Tried twisting and no go. It would not fold proper and would break under the same tension as Kanthal. Tried less tension and the results were not good either. Kinda kinked knarly and uneven instead of folding. So, I thought about it and realise this is tempered wire, not annealed. So I ran it through a flame till glowing orange (careful it will melt if held to flame too long) and moved along the piece letting it air dry to take the temper out. It is quite a bit more temperamental than Kanthal and I had to use quite a bit less tension but I finally got decent results. You can't see the folding happening like with Kanthal so I twisted some into a mess. Then I twisted some, checked it at 1200 DPI, twisted more, checked, etc. When you see knotting appear, stop there. Pulling on the wire and running it through your fingers will pull the knots out, but too much will pull the folds out. Made an 8 wrap micro in an RM2 and it came our to .07 ohms so within DNA40 range but a little lower than ideal. Vape pretty good and set at 450F it does about 27 watts. My back is out and I couldn't stand it anymore so I had to quit there instead of trying a larger ID coil to get the resistance up to a more ideal range for the DNA40. Got my SX350 J chip but I have to go get heat on my back and lay down. Here are some close up pics of the wire in single and triple back twist. Not ideal but neither was my first Kanthal MM.

.5X.1%20Single%20Twist%20Till%20Fold_zpsgzp4gyi0.jpg

.5X.1%20NI200%20MM_zpsxi4cn2dk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread