Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Anyone want to make me some...:laugh: Wish someone would just sell it. I bought something recently that a site called clapton wire and thought I was getting something special. I just paid a bunch of money for plain old cut wires,.....:blink:

I'll send you some next weekend when I get back home from NY on Sunday :) just PM me your address

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
I could have had some made for over 4 digits! Didn't need 10KG (how many ever thousand feet that would be) especially without knowing if the same dimensions would be optimum or not. Got an idea for accurately cutting the .05 MM sheet of NI200 I have. I have an old XY plotter (couldn't bear to get rid of something that costs 4 digits originally even if it is only worth scrap metal price now days) that I looked up the specs for. It has .1 MM steps so I'm thinking about rigging up a round blade cutter in place of the pen holder and running it back and forth till it cuts then jogging it 6 times (for first test at .6 MM) on the other axis and doing it again. Just need the time to do it.

Thought about an Exacto blade (you know, the ones that make your fingers bleed when you just look at one) as a cutter. Jury rigged a fresh Exacto blade to the XY plotter. Had to find something with a parallel port and that I could send custom character sequences to it. Dug up a Z80 that I made in the early 80's, had to decipher what power supply it needed and jury rig one, then had to find a real TV to hook up to it since I rigged a modulator in it set to channel 3 (hot set up for the day). Only to find that the 8255 apparently has lost one channel of I/O in it's long sleep. So I dug out an old trash 80 model 4P (P was for portable, as if anything with a CRT in it weighing in at probably 25 pounds is portable) only to find that it had lost horizontal sync. Well I used to be a TV/radio bench tech at one time (as in one time before CD's) and figured bad electrolytic cap so I pulled it apart and the monitor seemed to be just fine. Did some Googlefu and found an old forum archive post about the motherboard having a PLL that was the heart of the video hardware and there is a trimmer cap that over time will put the feed from the motherboard out of sync. Turns out it is next to impossible to get to and have everything hooked up to be able to adjust it with the thing turned on. (which it has to be turned on to be able to adjust it) Smoked some brain cells but I figured out a way without electrocuting myself or frying any electronics and got it adjusted. Found a TRSDOS floppy but the 5 1/4 floppy drive in bay 1 wouldn't run up to speed. Swapped the drive from bay 2 into bay 1 and booted up TRSDOS. Now were cooking with.......wait a minute,,,,,,that isn't a DB25 in the back of this thing, it's a card edge of the motherboard where it says printer port. Forgot that it takes a special cable for the printer. (the DB25 wasn't standardized till the '90's!) Couldn't find the cable no matter what spaghetti mess I dug out of dusty boxes. So I dug out an old AST laptop that had a DB25 parallel port. It booted! YEA! Loading Windows ............ ENTER PASSWORD ........... CRAP! What the blue blazes would I have used for a password that many years ago? Smoked some more brain cells to no avail. But wait ......... this is Windows 3.1 ........ seems to me I remember a hack work around for the password? Booted to DOS and after many regressive DIR p, CD *****, CD\, repeat etc. I found the MSDOS directory and executable file I needed and (by sheer exhaustion at this point) lucked out and patched it correctly. Booted into dinosaur Windows 3.1 and then QBASIC. Hooked up the plotter and used LPRINT to send it a command to move the pen holder. BLASTED PLOTTER BALKED! Seems that decades of non use gummed up the works so the stepper motors were squalling trying to comply. Took the plotter apart and cleaned and lubricated all the cables and slides and bushings and bearings and put it back together. Sent it a move command and glory be it moved! Sent it a pen down command and it complied. Loaded up a piece of thin cardboard and set the Exacto blade to just cut into the cardboard. Loaded up a piece of paper on top of that and wrote a short QBasic program to slice the paper, and slice the paper it did! Revised the program to slice it, move over .6MM and slice it again and it gave me a .6MM wide strip of paper! Loaded up .05MM NI200 and ran it again and it gave me 2 thin lines. Ok, so modify the program to do each slice 100 times each. Now it gave me 2 thin but shinny lines. Ok, so modify for 1000 times each. 2 slightly wider very shinny lines and a dull Exacto blade.

So, if anyone needs any thin pieces of paper in widths that are a multiple of .1MM I can make them.

NI200, not so much.

Poop!

pooping-smiley.png

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Now that's commitment right there ^^^^^^^^^
Or is it someone who SHOULD BE COMMITTED!

I would say committed since that took most of my rare spare time to do. Hardware and software hacking have always been my most favorite pastime and when I get on a rabbit trail I loose sight of anything but the rabbit. (Much to the dismay of my wife) Layed off of the software part a long time ago sometime around the passing of laws against it. It was free reign (legally) though back in College and the IBM 370 mainframe and I became quite acquainted at the core level. The sysop and I became acquainted after I gave myself sysop privileges and bridged into the University's partition and created a fake student with all background records for my Assembler final. Turns out the University didn't cotton to that very well and I had to work with the real sysop to patch the system so it couldn't be done again. Sysop gave me the name Alexander Mundy since I stole his privleges and it has stuck in one form or another online (remember BBS days before the WWW?) since.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
QBasic!, didn't think anyone here would even know what that was today

One of the last of the real Basic's before object oriented became the in thing. Much more powerful though to just program directly in machine language before 16 bits x86 and Windows came along. I used to know all the Z80 instructions either by heart or short cheat sheet for some of the indexed instructions. That would be impossible for modern computer processors, little lone windows trying to keep you in the outer rings and away from directly interfacing with I/O without getting the blue screen of death. I wrote a short program to create word search puzzles in Z80 machine language that was capable of compacting the words into a puzzle very tightly (if wanted) in about 12K of program. Saw a similar program for the original PC that wasn't quite as powerful that was around 112K. Now a days it would be 10's if not 100's of megabytes long. Course the GUI is much more elegant now days. Why the heck am I babbling? Lunch is over so back to freezing my patutie off.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Thank you so much for my little package Mr. Magic Mundy :)

I'm still waiting on new wire to play with but your example will help tremendously!

Not the prettiest, but it should give you the basics of how to make it. Sorry it took so long, but haven't had much time before last week.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
One of the last of the real Basic's before object oriented became the in thing. Much more powerful though to just program directly in machine language before 16 bits x86 and Windows came along. I used to know all the Z80 instructions either by heart or short cheat sheet for some of the indexed instructions. That would be impossible for modern computer processors, little lone windows trying to keep you in the outer rings and away from directly interfacing with I/O without getting the blue screen of death. I wrote a short program to create word search puzzles in Z80 machine language that was capable of compacting the words into a puzzle very tightly (if wanted) in about 12K of program. Saw a similar program for the original PC that wasn't quite as powerful that was around 112K. Now a days it would be 10's if not 100's of megabytes long. Course the GUI is much more elegant now days. Why the heck am I babbling? Lunch is over so back to freezing my patutie off.

That was my world 30+ years ago Terry, built a financial systems company on the back of x86 assembler, basic and isam pre-rdb days

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
does playing D&D in a BBS on a com64 count?

- I really have no idea what you guys are talking about - lived on the darker side when I was young but damn I had some fun :D

Yes, you are a member of the old fart geeks! Some of us just went further down the rabbit hole.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Does anyone remember the Timex Sinclair computer? I replaced that with a Commodore Vic 20; Couldn't afford the 64, due to being in the Military and married with child at the time but the Vic 20... EVERYTHING needed to be programmed... lol.

Yep, sure do. I especially remember the monitor (TV) when it was running a program or writing and reading from the cassette tape. Reminds me of the little girl "There here!".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread