Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Ahh, the good old days. Basic and Fortran to create punch-tapes to run CNC machines, err make that NC machines. G-code, Algebraic equations, if-then statements, fun stuff!

edit: Conditional Expressions! (I had to look it up)

Ahh, Fortran! Now there is a language I could relate to, unlike Cobol gibberish. PL1 was kinda like a merging of those. G-code is still used, but I don't know how the old compares to the current.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Old Fart Geek here from the early days of x86 I even sold a few PC-jrs and the original Compaq luggable with the $10k 5meg hard drive. God I hated Win 3.1, NT and a mouse, it slowed me down so much. Still burned in my brain G=C800:5.

I have an original PC with the 2 floppy. 5150 if I remember correctly. Even have the green monitor. Got a 20mb hard card but the drive on it died years ago. Had the 5mb hard drive that was the size of a briefcase and retailed for $2k. Sold it to a collector. The one I wish I still had is the Altair I built in '78. Gave it to a friend eons ago along with my Cosmic Elf I built.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
i think he missed a period (full stop) out!

I once had the dubious pleasure of repairing a computer that used CP/M, which was the forerunner to and even more primitive than DOS. What i did like was LEDs on all the boards; what i disliked was getting it to do anything useful!

T

CP/M supported the 8080 processor and the Z80 to a certain extent. The Z80 was backwards compatible with the 8080 instruction set but also had extended instructions that CP/M didn't support so I didn't dwell on it very long when the Z80 came out.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Guess I have slipped into a rut since I haven't even tried a clapton. The only coil variations I've been doing are the hybrid Nickel/Kanthal MM variations. Been ridiculously busy with work and any spare time has been devoted to my 3D printer. Have wondered though for a long time (before DNA40 and clapton) about Ernie Ball Nickel wound guitar strings and removing and or replacing the center stainless wire, just been too busy to go to the music store and get some to play with. (Pun intended)

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Dang, guess I really am in a rut! This has been available for at least 8 days and I just stumbled across it.........

7b89301cc84b5cf6a35952c3d71312ce_zpslrej3dec.jpg

Will keep you informed.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Ribbon sounds interesting.

Edit: Any thing on equivalent resistances to round Ni200 would be valued.

It should have a smidge more resistance than 30 gauge NI200 going by cross sectional area.
So extrapolating from experience MM made from it should land approximately 0.3 ohm per foot. (at room temp)
When I get it and make some I will find out how good my clairvoyance is.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
It should have a smidge more resistance than 30 gauge NI200 going by cross sectional area.
So extrapolating from experience MM made from it should land approximately 0.3 ohm per foot. (at room temp)
When I get it and make some I will find out how good my clairvoyance is.

I just notice that you and I quit analogs on the exact same day

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
temperature controlled mundy magic and tiger wires huh?

alright. might have to use this temp control thing again

Got Hybrid MM's running on temp control on a GDibi and a GDNA, but find myself using my non regulated Dibi and Peko's with regular MM most of the time. Being squonkers, I rarely get a dry hit anyway since I reflex squonk every time anyway.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
I just notice that you and I quit analogs on the exact same day

I floundered with a cigalike for about a month prior but just couldn't completely quit on it. But 739 days ago I got Evic, Protank, and eliquid vapemail. That did the trick and led me to this vape hobby down the vape rabbit hole. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread