Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Wow so glad you are ok! That is scary for sure!!
I put my batts in a plastic container to take spares. I also never leave batts in a mod/APV over night or any time I am not vaping, I never leave a carto or tank on a batt or APV over night either. Take everything apart when not in use, safety first. bnrk

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
I always transport batteries in a plastic battery case. I transport mods with the batteries out and the tanks/cartos/atties off to keep things from leaking or breaking. My Phinica and DCT tanks complete with drip tips in fit nicely into clear hard plastic pill vials. I put cartos and atties in separate small ziplock bags if they contain juice. My 'tools' travel in another ziploc bag to keep them from getting loose or lost. Even to vape meets. Everything fits nicely into a medium sized lightweight camera bag. No accidents thus far.

On another topic I use nothing but big battery PV's to vape on and they sit on my desk, end table, where ever with everything in and on them, when at home. The only batteries I take stuff off of, like drip tips is my Twists, and those I turn off when not in use.

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
QUOTE=Racehorse;7138858]do you have another one you could show us?

also, was wonderng what the damage at 14500 would do as opposed to a 18560? And how that corresponds to mAH on an ego batt[/QUOTE]

Well that was the only one like that I had, and can't answer ( and hope not to) on the 14500. I would imagine that same result only shorter time span. But that just a guess.[

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Glad you are okay and thankful you posted this. I forget so often that batteries are the scariest part of an e-cig or PV. I am sharing this with all my vaping brethren on Facebook and assuring they don't make the same mistake.

Though I have never done this myself, I often forget to warn first time mod owners about the dangers of shorting a battery.

Cheers.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I keep my 18650 spares in plastic snap top cases that cost about a dollar each. A good free battery case is a bottle that prescriptions come in. It's just the right size for an 18650.

After seeing a plain old 9V alkaline battery smoke and burn one day from contacting a wrench, I was a believer about the thermal power of batteries. A buddy of mine tried to pick it up and toss it away. He got a huge blister in his palm and several on his fingers. Batteries can get really angry during a direct short.

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
So glad you are ok fox. Gotta secure those batts! I treat mine as if they were nitroglycerin (an exaggeration.)
Was that the red ultra fire you had? Because that was sure an ultra bad fire. Sorry you got burned, hope it wasn't too bad. Maybe it is time to invest in some aw imr batts ? They Vent hot gas instead of flame to my knowledge. That is all I use.

-Sam

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Foxman, I'm glad you are OK. Good thing you had the presence of mind to handle the meltdown without serious injury.

I'm going to award you with the first ECF Yosemite Sam Burnin' Biscuits Award for telling this precautionary saga so well and providing the photos to boot.

Sam-Poster-1.jpg

Yep, even a pill vial that costs nothing can save your bacon. This one holds two 14650s for me.

021.jpg

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
QUOTE=Racehorse;7138858]do you have another one you could show us?

also, was wonderng what the damage at 14500 would do as opposed to a 18560? And how that corresponds to mAH on an ego batt

Well that was the only one like that I had, and can't answer ( and hope not to) on the 14500. I would imagine that same result only shorter time span. But that just a guess.[[/QUOTE]

Even small battery in a cell phone can do a lot of damage. You had a terrible experience, thankful you had no serious injury, all batteries are dangerous even with protection and especially with LR coils we take them to the edge or over the edge of their intended use.
A guy talking on a cell phone while he was charging it had this happen.
580940_342534805832559_2069534311_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread