Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
It was just a suggestion.

"Mandatory" isnt a suggestion.
Thats where I have an issue.
What laws are you referring to? Something local? I know most decent vape shops won't sell to a minor but, far as I know, it's not actually the law in most places, yet.

Decency isnt why retailers wont sell to minors. They fear litigation and prosecution.
You really want to argue to a local judge that e juice isnt a tobacco product after getting caught selling to a minor?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Id be willing to bet, he could`nt tell you what battery he was using.
"I don't know what battery it is, but its orange. Well, it used to be..." :facepalm:

ryan_1462415926453_2108103_ver1.0.jpg

Last edited:

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I will never use a Mech mod. I will never trust them.

You may not have a choice, before long. Electronics fail eventually. Mech mods are simple, and if a part wears out, you can fix it yourself.

There's no reason to fear them. Ohm's law is a very simple equation.

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
You may not have a choice, before long. Electronics fail eventually. Mech mods are simple, and if a part wears out, you can fix it yourself.

There's no reason to fear them. Ohm's law is a very simple equation.
Yeah but every mod that blows up is a Mech tube mod. Or a Cloned iStick 50 watt

Reactions: Kenna

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Yeah but every mod that blows up is a Mech tube mod. Or a Cloned iStick 50 watt

And every mod that "blows up", did so because somebody was misusing it. The "blow up" is due to battery venting, (progressing into thermal runaway in some cases), because of a dead short or pushing the battery beyond its amp limits due to an improper build. You'll have no problem, unless you do something similarly stupid.

Last edited:

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
And every mod that "blows up", did so because somebody was misusing it. The "blow up" is due to battery venting, (progressing into thermal runaway in some cases), because of a hard short or pushing the battery beyond its amp limits due to an improper build. You'll have no problem, unless you do something similarly stupid.
That' the problem. People are going to buy Clones and will want to save on costs of batteries and then they blow up. I understand what your saying, Venting this and that, I know, but young people and new customers make mistakes and I hate to say this ,but there should be somebody doing it for them. I do not vape as a hobby, I vape to quit smoking tobacco. Most new vapeists are listening to hobbyists and learning from them. Im just saying. IMO people are a little nuts about vaping. I thnk Mech mods are dangerous

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
Was that part of the regulations they put out yesterday? I'm not really up to speed with all that yet. As for the individual states, I knew some had enacted age restrictions but I didn't know that it was getting to be "almost all, if not all" of them yet.

Yeah federally it's 18 to purchase now, previously only 2 states I think hadn't put their own age laws in place yet, some states like CA and Hawaii are 21+, about 1/2 are 19+ and the rest are 18+

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I thnk Mech mods are dangerous
So are table saws and chain saws. I don't use those, but I do use a mech mod because I feel I am an informed user.

When it comes to advanced mass marketed systems like cell phones and laptops and hybrid electric cars, the system designers of those products have taken appropriate steps to make them "safe" for uninformed end-user use. Purely mechanical unregulated ecig battery mods and uninformed end-users is a dicey proposition.

Most consumer battery operated devices are no where near the limit of the batterys operating limits. The high-end flashlights and ecigs and RCtoys come to mind as applications that really push the limits. With the RCtoys the device is physically far removed from the person so a mishap is inconsequential. With ecigs a mishap is literally in the persons face.

Mechs are only dangerous if the user is uninformed. The user must use their brain and physical senses to keep them out of trouble. No different than someone who uses a chain saw or a table saw.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm new to this forum and pretty new to vaping. I started with an e-cig to stop smoking, which worked, helping me kick a 30 year habit. Now, several months later, I got my first real vape kit, and even that is a cheap starter to see how it goes before buying into anything "high end".

There are a few things in that news article that struck me as odd. First, that a 17 year old kid would come up with $350 for a vape mod. It is extremely unlikely that someone that age, regardless of how much "research" they did before buying (according to the article) has the experience to jump into such an expensive and "specialty" mod.

Second, they once again throw around those figures of millions of underage kids using e-cigs. What they don't say is that in almost every case, those are convenience store bought disposable e-cigs with nonrefillable cartridges (not knocking them, it's where I started to quit cigs and it worked). Hardly the setup that will explode in your face.

I have no issue regulating the age for e-cig or tobacco use. However, this mixing of information of teen e-cig/tobacco use and then tying it to vaping really misleads folks about the inherent risks, especially regarding exploding batteries. So from this kid misusing a mech mod we end up with a sensational story about the millions of kids who are risking life and limb from using an e-cig, even though a handful of those millions are using a $350 mod they bought online. I believe this is why the public becomes confused over the benefits (in my experience, many) and dangers (way lower than regular cigs) of e-cigs.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
That' the problem. People are going to buy Clones and will want to save on costs of batteries and then they blow up.

That sounds like a Government statement
Apples are Red so oranges must be acidic! :blink:

Clones Have NOTHING to do with using Cheap batteries, Poor Maintenance or ignoring Ohms law.
Are you saying a Crap battery in an Authentic mod will not blow up? Sorry, WRONG!

A Mod is not a Power source and is subjected to said force. It is otherwise a beinine chunk of metal waiting to be abused.
:cool:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The problem is many new vapers dont learn from the hobbyists.
They emulate them. They fake it.
Monkey see - Monkey do, without taking time to actually learn anything.
"If you can do it, so can I" mentality.
This gets them hurt.

We openly laugh and bash them because that seems to be the only way to get across the point across that uneducated vaping on a mech will get you hurt.

bfisher

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2013
Springfield, Ohio, USA
"Mandatory" isnt a suggestion.
Thats where I have an issue.

Decency isnt why retailers wont sell to minors. They fear litigation and prosecution.
You really want to argue to a local judge that e juice isnt a tobacco product after getting caught selling to a minor?

I "suggested" a mandatory requirement ;-)

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
And every mod that "blows up", did so because somebody was misusing it. The "blow up" is due to battery venting, (progressing into thermal runaway in some cases), because of a hard short or pushing the battery beyond its amp limits due to an improper build. You'll have no problem, unless you do something similarly stupid.
The blow up is due to a dead short.

The battery venting is due to the dead short.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
That' the problem. People are going to buy Clones and will want to save on costs of batteries and then they blow up. I understand what your saying, Venting this and that, I know, but young people and new customers make mistakes and I hate to say this ,but there should be somebody doing it for them. I do not vape as a hobby, I vape to quit smoking tobacco. Most new vapeists are listening to hobbyists and learning from them. Im just saying. IMO people are a little nuts about vaping. I thnk Mech mods are dangerous
Has zero to due with clones.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
With the RCtoys the device is physically far removed from the person so a mishap is inconsequential.

Sorry, Baditude.

I have to completely disagree with this.

There's a marked degree higher risk with a hobby level RC.

In 2012, for example, there was an incident where a world renowned competition 3D flyer took the top of his head off when he lost control of his heli for a couple milliseconds killing him instantly.

And there are hobby aircraft that break the sound barrier.

And hobby cars are nearing the 200mph mark.

At these speeds and with limited range, either by controller or sight limitations, the vessel and its battery is never more than a couple seconds from impact of the person controlling it or an innocent bystander.

And the controller in your hand will likely have several cells in it, more often the more unstable lipo.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread