Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Done, except I'm not sold on the door. I love that wood (cocobolo) but not so much the look with the body. Gonna do a spalted tamarind door if I can get it to stabilize well enough. That will take a week or two to settle down dimensionally.

Only thing out of the ordinary with the mechanism is the contact material: 1mm 6061-T6. Mechanical properties are just right, and of course it conducts really well. We'll see about whether it fouls at the contact points much more than plated brass, etc. Been using the mod for a couple of days now and so far no signs of problems.

View attachment 666987 View attachment 666989

Different look. :)

IMAG2835_picmonkeyed_picmonkeyed.jpg

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
I am using that a guide to do mine. I just have to solder everything up on all my new parts.

laurie is famous here now, his guides apparently make him a BT shill according to one of our two major newspapers

he's a celebrity :headbang:

NoxDraco2008

Jun 26, 2017
Make sure you post your results!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I planned on it. I have made a change to the power supply though. I am making it a lipo powered device. I have a little 3S 850 mAh lipo battery I am gonna use, but I realized that I have to make another alteration to the body to allow for the battery and squonk bottle to both in the mod as well as find a way to secure the magnets in the mod to hold the battery cover in place.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I am thinking of converting an iStick TC 100W into a squonker....
Looks like it should be an easy conversion, any one done this already?

I put some time into it but put it aside. The clearances around the BF 510 (I was using Fatdaddy) and upper circuit board were extremely tight with a few conflicts and assembly issues. Decided it wasn't worth the trouble, so I converted an original iStick 100 (non-TC) I wasn't using, and that was a breeze by comparison.

BOTTOM FEEDERS= a place for everything modified and/or custom made

Somebody around here did one though, can't remember who. I suggest you do some keyword searches in this thread and the rest of the forum.

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
@TheWestPole
Just got hold of a istick tc 100.
It is very tight in there!
Looked at modding the existing 510. looks like it would be a leak fest, and its also a bit wobbly with my small atties.:-x

So on to plan B
I think I will use replacement 510 but mount it higher up with a 22mm diameter spacer fitted between the mod and the 510.
It would add a little to the hight of the mod 4 or 5mm but that's not a big deal to me. It would still end up shorter overall than running a tank on top.

I like the form factor, chip set seems OK so far. Going to have a play with the articfox firmware to see if I can limit the top power level... don't fancy running 120W (already upgraded with the standard firmware) off a single cell.
Eleaf should have put something in place to stop high power levels with a single cell...:shock:

Reactions: TheWestPole

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
@TheWestPole
Just got hold of a istick tc 100.
It is very tight in there!
Looked at modding the existing 510. looks like it would be a leak fest, and its also a bit wobbly with my small atties.:-x

So on to plan B
I think I will use replacement 510 but mount it higher up with a 22mm diameter spacer fitted between the mod and the 510.
It would add a little to the hight of the mod 4 or 5mm but that's not a big deal to me. It would still end up shorter overall than running a tank on top.

I like the form factor, chip set seems OK so far. Going to have a play with the articfox firmware to see if I can limit the top power level... don't fancy running 120W (already upgraded with the standard firmware) off a single cell.
Eleaf should have put something in place to stop high power levels with a single cell...:shock:

Good idea pushing the 510 up, as long as you get a good neg. connection. As I recall there was no room for a nut underneath.

One thing I did you might consider. Grind off the stop in the circuit board channel in the upper part of the frame so the board can slide in from the opposite end of the 510. You'll probably have a lot of assembly/disassembly before you're done and be glad you don't have to remove the 510 every time.

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
There is not enough room for the nut underneath, what I was thinking was to make a brass spacer with a tapped hole in it the right size for the replacement 510, then secure the spacer to the top of the mod with a two or preferably three small screws from the under side. I can widen the existing hole or cut a slot so I can solder the neg contact directly to underside of the brass spacer. Screw in the replacement 510 then solder up the positive.
I am going to give the boards a coat of varnish to help protect them.
I will also probably fill the voids between the 510, existing battery holder and PCB's with some silicon sealer just in case I get any leakage from the underside.

It's going to be a tight fit....
No doubt it will take a lot of trial and error in terms of assembly/disassembly before I'm happy with it!
But I am hopeful that it will make a decent squonker in the end...

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Hello guys

Im going to make a 3d squonk mech mod and I want to make it with solid silver contacts but I want to ask u guys if anyone know the gauge of the silver sheet that the other companies usually use and where can I get them?

Thanks
I haven't used silver,but a few people on here have,and if i remember right,i think most said they used 24 gauge.Look through the Frankenskull clone thread,there are a few on there,and i'm pretty sure thats what they used.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Hello guys

Im going to make a 3d squonk mech mod and I want to make it with solid silver contacts but I want to ask u guys if anyone know the gauge of the silver sheet that the other companies usually use and where can I get them?

Thanks
Amazon...

Reactions: Boobsley

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
I need to know whats the best process for removing scratches from derlin? "Black and white" also whats a good polishing finnish technique for derling.

Must it be sprayed with a clear coat or is it best just to paint it? Ive seen modders machining white derling and they look super white at the end....

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread