Burnt cotton wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

olafwobbly

Jan 2, 2016
Hi guys,

i have a OBS Crius with dual 26g kanthal at 0.53ohm running at 24W.
im using scottish wicking method for the cottom yet the ends of the corner are burnt.

anyone able to advice why?

thanks
12596949_10154571044070961_754712980_o.jpg
12633097_10154571044040961_1034971318_o.jpg

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
@olafwobbly Hi and welcome. Regretfully I'm not expert with your tank, but it looks like you may have too much cotton there? I did a quick Youtube search and here's a tutorial video. Skip to 12:00 for cotton instructions. The reviewer also goes into detail that it is easy to get dry hits if the tank is not wicked properly. Hope it helps.

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
Yea its definitely not burnt...its just your juice discoloring from the heat, but you definitely appear to have to much cotton in there, esp for a tank atty. if you cant set your mod on the table and pull the ends of the cotton through the coil freely without having to hold your mod down to prevent it from falling over you have a bit too much cotton, also i would trim your tail ends back a bit to thin them out, it seems your clogging your airflow a bit. Once you have your tails down into the juice holes below your deck only leave enough poof as wide as your coil because once the cotton is saturated it will expand. I would be surprised if your not getting some spit back.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1. Doesn't look burnt to me either and, if that's cotton, it's probably a bit too full in the coil, although the tails look ok. My suggestion is don't worry about it. If it starts to taste bad pull the wick, dry burn the coils, wash and dry the tank parts, re-wick and keep on vaping. You may wish to experiment with a build or two using a rayon wick. I find it less susceptible, if not entirely immune, to discoloration and burning, as well as being harder to choke in the coil (rayon shrinks when wet, vice cotton which swells.) I also believe it lasts longer and wicks and tastes better than cotton. I find it has a noticeable taste when brand new (others disagree), but this taste disappears after "break in," about a ml of juice or so, and thereafter is the best tasting wick I have yet tried. YMMV, you make the call. But I think you'll like it if you try.

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
He is also using an Rda which makes holding juice a necessity. The cotton in an Rda is essentially your tank. Your using a tank so you dont need that tight of a wick running through your coils because your main focus is drawing juice through the wick to the coil... the tighter the wick in the coil the harder the wick has doing its job effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread