Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
we have only been inhaling flavors fora few years

An non factor? Hardly. Just less of a factor. We have only been vaping food flavorings for a few years. And as I recall several food colorings and such have been banned over the years and only after many years of use.
We do not know what the long term effects of inhaling food flavorings, PG, and VG are yet. And anyone who says they do KNOW are WRONG. They may guess correctly but it is just a guess. We said that margarine was good for you for 30 years....

Turn of last century, concoctions were offered which contained stuff that's been outlawed nowadays.
Back then, we didn't know any better. Read medical texts from 300 years ago. Isn't so long ago that gasoline contained lead.
Electrical house wiring now comes with fuses and often mandatory GF cutoffs cuz we found out the hard way that 110V-AC-boogie looks funny in cartoons, but isn't really funny for the person dancing it...
The list could go on ...

Incorporating of what we have learned into new stuff is what is all about - as long as we can keep the fearmongering, the biased 'studies', the financial and political agendas out of it.
Unfortunately, that is no longer - or may never have been - the case...

When baking / cooking / eating flavoured stuff, we always inhale some of it - but if you look at the dosages recommended in food preparations vs. what we putting in our liquids we are indeed sailing uncharted waters to some extent. But that's human nature...

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I used to work with an oncologist (taking surgical photographs) who told me the only substances in the world not cancerous are those so toxic they kill you before a tumor can grow. Moderation is the key. That said, and while there are, as yet, no double-blind studies done; it is self evident tobacco tars are cancerous, and vaping does away with those for former smokers.

Reactions: AndriaD

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
So in several words: leaving smoking and trading it for vaping is like trading a medium-future lung cancer with zero chance of survival, with a near-future throat cancer with more than zero chances to survive... And the 2nd one comes a lot cheaper...
I met three guys so far that developed throat cancer from vapingin less than a year, from which one already died, one is struggling and one survived after some intense treatments and operations including radiating him with cobalt in a desperate doctor's attempt to save him.
In total I know about 8 guys vaping, so 3 out of 8 is quite a large percent if you ask me, the other 5 doesn't vape for longer than a year, and I don't believe in coincidences.

Absolute 100% nonsense, :facepalm: and that's putting it politely. I take it you're an avid member of a fantasy writing forum?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Nicotine does not cause cancer, the other substances in a cigarette, like tars do. But there are thousands of types of cancer, some developing slower some others a lot faster. Generally the cause of cancer is some repetitive external stimulus causing the organism to defend itself and create extra tissue growing into tumors, carcinoma. Soon they start splitting and spreading through-out the entire body through the fluids circulating in it: blood and lympha. If smoking produce lung and throat cancer, but more often lung cancers, lung cancer however doesn't seem to appear in the first 10 years of smoking, but when it appears it's one of the fastest spreading into the entire organism, almost unstoppable, causing 99,99% certain death in less than 6 months.
Although vaping means also an external repetitive stimuli causing the body to defend (felt more in the throat as a menace than in the lungs- as they have no nervous cells), the lung cancer is the one people say is not so frequent caused by vaping. Nobody says anything about the throat cancer, which has a totally different physiology: it doesn't install after 10 years, not even a year, but it can install in as less as 5 months. However the spread speed inside the whole body is not as fast as the lung cancer -causing death in as much as one year, or one year and half-, leaving us some chance to treat it if caught in the early stages (one, at most two).
So in several words: leaving smoking and trading it for vaping is like trading a far-away-future lung cancer with zero chance of survival, with a very-near-future throat cancer with more than zero chances to survive... And the 2nd one comes a lot cheaper...
I met three guys so far that developed throat cancer from vaping in less than a year, from which one already died, one is struggling and one survived after some intense treatments and operations including radiating him with cobalt in a desperate doctor's attempt to save him.
In total I know about 8 guys vaping, so 3 out of 8 is quite a large percent if you ask me, the other 5 don't vape for longer than a year, and I don't believe in coincidences. Unfortunately I vape too, and looking for some e-liquids that do not cause throat cancers. I can't totally quit now, I have a lot of stress at work, going through a divorce, and so on.
Can anybody recommend some good quality e-liquid, that does not cause throat cancer?
Those are some pretty bold claims you're making. Would you mind providing some more information so that what you've said can be substantiated? What are the names of your friends and where did/do they live? Or if you don't want to give that information for living people, how about just the one who died, of throat cancer, from vaping?

How long were they vaping before this advanced throat cancer was noticed? Were they smokers/tobacco users prior to vaping?

Reactions: Coldrake

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I was going to comment on that post as well.

Exactly how was a determination made that vaping cause the throat cancer?

The other thing is that, statistically, the base group of eight is insignificant. Further, and assuming that there was a mechanism identified that linked the cancer to vaping, there were no "controls" in place to quantify how much each person vaped and how they vaped, low power tootle puffer versus sub-ohming high powered coil burner.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I met three guys so far that developed throat cancer from vaping in less than a year, from which one already died, one is struggling and one survived after some intense treatments and operations including radiating him with cobalt in a desperate doctor's attempt to save him.
In total I know about 8 guys vaping, so 3 out of 8 is quite a large percent if you ask me, the other 5 don't vape for longer than a year, and I don't believe in coincidences. Unfortunately I vape too, and looking for some e-liquids that do not cause throat cancers. I can't totally quit now, I have a lot of stress at work, going through a divorce, and so on.
Can anybody recommend some good quality e-liquid, that does not cause throat cancer?

This is Interesting.

Because I have been a Member of this Forum for 5 Years, and I have had the pleasure of meetings Thousands of People. And I have Never heard of Anyone developing Throat Cancer as a result of using an e-Cigarette.

You would think that if 3 out of 8 people develop Throat Cancer from Vaping, that people on this Board would be Dropping Like Flies?

I'm not going to go so Far as to say that you are Full of ...., but if I was to, then I think you are.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I was going to comment on that post as well.

Exactly how was a determination made that vaping cause the throat cancer?

The other thing is that, statistically, the base group of eight is insignificant. Further, and assuming that there was a mechanism identified that linked the cancer to vaping, there were no "controls" in place to quantify how much each person vaped and how they vaped, low power tootle puffer versus sub-ohming high powered coil burner.
Statistically, having the first three known cases of throat cancer from vaping happen to three people who know each other, out of the maybe 10 million world wide vapers, is an impossibility UNLESS they were using something that no one else uses which would mean it wasn't the vaping that caused it.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
This is Interesting.

Because I have been a Member of this Forum for 5 Years, and I have had the pleasure of meetings Thousands of People. And I have Never heard of Anyone developing Throat Cancer as a result of using an e-Cigarette.

You would think that if 3 out of 8 people develop Throat Cancer from Vaping, that people on this Board would be Dropping Like Flies?

I'm not going to go so Far as to say that you are Full of ...., but if I was to, then I think you are.
Still to early to tell How many of us smoked for 30+ years and did not get throat cancer?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Not sure if I understand your Question?
Vaping has only been around for about a decade and 75% or so of current vapers have been vaping 3 yrs or less, we do not know what long term effectf of vaping may be.
I am speaking of US vapers here for the most part.

With all that said I do not think that vaping increases your risk of throat or any type of cancer very much. Non cancerous damage to our lungs? Quite possibly because of some of the flavoring ingredients.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Vaping has only been around for about a decade and 75% or so of current vapers have been vaping 3 yrs or less, we do not know what long term effectf of vaping may be.
I am speaking of US vapers here for the most part.

With all that said I do not think that vaping increases your risk of throat or any type of cancer very much. Non cancerous damage to our lungs? Quite possibly because of some of the flavoring ingredients.

Not say'n that Anyone knows the Long Term Effects of using an e-Cigarette. And I personally feel that Vaping is Not without its Risks.

I see Vaping as Harm Reduce over Smoking. Not Harm Illumination.

What I am Questioning with GoguBordel's post is the Statistic that 3 out of the 8 Vapers he knows have developed Throat Cancer as a Direct Result of using an e-Cigarette.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Not say'n that Anyone knows the Long Term Effects of using an e-Cigarette. And I personally feel that Vaping is Not without its Risks.

I see Vaping as Harm Reduce over Smoking. Not Harm Illumination.

What I am Questioning with GoguBordel's post is the Statistic that 3 out of the 8 Vapers he knows have developed Throat Cancer as a Direct Result of using an e-Cigarette.
I do not believe that to be true at all. On the 3 of 8, not your post ;)

7 of 9 now was an entirely different story :hubba:

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I do not believe that to be true at all. On the 3 of 8, not your post ;)

7 of 9 now was an entirely different story :hubba:

Hey don't get me Wrong.

I'm not say'n that it is Statistically Impossible if you picked 8 Vapers at Random, that 3 of them couldn't get Throat Cancer as a Directly result of using an e-Cigarette for a Year. Or that if these 3 out of 8 People get Cancer, that GoguBordel couldn't know each of the 8 Individuals. And that he is the Only person out of the 200,000 or so Members of the ECF to witness something like that.

This is Statistically Possible.

But it is also Statistically Possible that I will Win the Lotto on the Same Day that I am Hit by Lightning directly after being Bitten by a Shark.

So who can Really Say what is Possible or Not?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Hey don't get me Wrong.

I'm not say'n that it is Statistically Impossible if you picked 8 Vapers at Random, that 3 of them couldn't get Throat Cancer as a Directly result of using an e-Cigarette for a Year. Or that if these 3 out of 8 People get Cancer, that GoguBordel couldn't know each of the 8 Individuals. And that he is the Only person out of the 200,000 or so Members of the ECF to witness something like that.

This is Statistically Possible.

But it is also Statistically Possible that I will Win the Lotto on the Same Day that I am Hit by Lightning directly after being Bitten by a Shark.

So who can Really Say what is Possible or Not?
Okay... you're right... I misspoke. It's not impossible, but the odds against it are, to quote one of my favorite movies "... tro nomical"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread