CASAA Slogans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Just to explain further... I didn't really think my examples were "duckies and bunnies" or random allergy-type commercials (I feel like my contributions are the ones being called that.) The images were meant to actually invoke a positive feeling towards CASAA and the work we are doing.

The woman with the blue sky - taking a breath of fresh air, away from cigarette smoke, she is enjoying freedom from the bondage of analogs and the freedom of choice.

And I already explained the little girl - invokes safeness, gentleness, innocence, fresh air, "save the children" (ie no second hand smoke) and the dandelion floating in the air as something that is an alternative to smoke being blown into the air (ie vapor.)

Neither image was just randomly chosen - they were meant to envoke positive feelings in smokers and non-smokers alike.

We need to remember that we are trying to appeal to non-smokers, too. And that these aren't e-cig or snus ads.

Are people who are already using e-cigs & snus and the like really our target audience? If so, we can create a whole different kind of ad campaign for them. My ads were aimed at non-vapers, smokers and non-smokers.

Also, I think smokers are sick of seeing quit smoking warnings and ads. This is meant to say, "There is an alternative."

Anyhow, just my 2 cent clarification...:oops:

And I would agree--after all, what is wrong with ""duckies and bunnies" or random allergy-type commercials--if they work for Madison Avenue Main Stream advertising, why are they no good for this group? Those marketing people spend millions on demographics to see what kind of advertising does and does not work and if that is what they put their money on, then it is good enough for me.

Sun

My problem with "duckies and bunnies" is certainly not any complaint about any suggestions here--it has more to do with my Pet Peeves about pharmaceutical commercials. As far as I'm concerned, it is disturbing enough that pharmaceutical companies are permitted to have commercials for prescription medications in the first place; but it really gets under my skin whenever I see commercials looking like the opening to Little House on the Prairie, and jingles that might as well be "The hills are alive with the sound of varenicline tartrate".

Beyond even that, I tend to be suspicious of any advertisement that is unclear about the product it is allegedly promoting. I understand that advertisers want their target market to make positive associations to subliminally communicate "buy our beer and women in bikinis will appear"...but that doesn't work if the ad is so filled with duckies or (Playboy) bunnies that you can't figure out if its an ad for allergy medication or a feminine hygiene product.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
My problem with "duckies and bunnies" is certainly not any complaint about any suggestions here--it has more to do with my Pet Peeves about pharmaceutical commercials. As far as I'm concerned, it is disturbing enough that pharmaceutical companies are permitted to have commercials for prescription medications in the first place; but it really gets under my skin whenever I see commercials looking like the opening to Little House on the Prairie, and jingles that might as well be "The hills are alive with the sound of varenicline tartrate".

Beyond even that, I tend to be suspicious of any advertisement that is unclear about the product it is allegedly promoting. I understand that advertisers want their target market to make positive associations to subliminally communicate "buy our beer and women in bikinis will appear"...but that doesn't work if the ad is so filled with duckies or (Playboy) bunnies that you can't figure out if its an ad for allergy medication or a feminine hygiene product.

That is the whole point though my Friend---just sitting here talking about them means they worked. The key is recoknition.

Sun

That is the whole point though my Friend---just sitting here talking about them means they worked. The key is recoknition.

Sun

I see what you mean, but there isn't recognition when you can't tell what product is being advertised. Especially in drug ads, half the commercial is spent showing people happy to be taking some drug with a friendly sounding name and the other half is spent reading the laundry list of side effects...leaving exactly no time to say what the drug actually does.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I see what you mean, but there isn't recognition when you can't tell what product is being advertised. Especially in drug ads, half the commercial is spent showing people happy to be taking some drug with a friendly sounding name and the other half is spent reading the laundry list of side effects...leaving exactly no time to say what the drug actually does.

And that is the point of Pharmacutical ads Thulium--they are not to teach you about the product or sell you the product--they are for name brand reckonition so that you know the name when it is in fact presented to you--it is not ment to be POS marketing---rather awarness at the most basic level.

Sun

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Lose the smoke without the anguish. Contact CASAA to learn how smoke-free alternatives can reduce the risks of smoking-related diseases and death. Think outside the pack.

I noticed the the American Cancer Society was using that crushed cigarette pack on their American Smoke-Out web page, so let us not use that visual. Whatever visual we use is going to have to convey the idea of good health, both physically and emotionally.

What about Grandma and Grandpa arriving for a visit? Just as they walk up to the house, Grandpa might be tucking his Swedish snus packet into his pocket, as Grandma slips her 510 into her purse. They look at each other and smile and do a "thumbs-up". They walk up to the door and the little kids come running out, laughing, and jump up into their arms.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    dontgetburned.jpg

Webby

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2009
    USA
    a few catch phrases...

Leave the Pack Behind (currently being used for a program in Canada to encourage college students to quit smoking)

Break Away from the Pack (found a reference, but apparently not adopted by anyone)

Break Free from the Pack (no references found)

mtndude! Good to see you buddy!

Do you have any collateral pieces from the Canadian campaign? I couldn't find anything.

lotus14

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2009
    Columbia SC
    Lots of these are great. Territoo has some I especially like. Very creative. But I find myself in agreement with Thulium on certain key points.

Most of these just look like they want to tell me why I shouldn't smoke or maybe sell me a book or an NRT.

I agree with Sun - a concept is a product. But the main concept here is harm reduction via vapor instead of smoke. I realize other smokeless alternatives are to be included but I don't think they're the driving force behind the formation of CASAA.

At some point these "ads" are going to have to include vapor. If you don't want to call them electronic cigarettes then call them PVs or whatever. Or don't call them anything but show them, show vapor and point out that it isn't smoke.

A person happily vaping on a comfy chair on the back deck with a nice cloud of vapor coming out and a caption saying "This person isn't smoking a cigarette. Or inhaling tar along with 4,000 chemicals. Visit CASAA to learn more."

Or maybe have two people facing each other with one blowing a cloud of vapor at the other person who is blowing a cloud of smoke back. A caption saying "One of these people is inhaling and exhaling [insert dangerous substances here] and one of them isn't. Can you tell which is which? Click here to learn more."

I'm sure the more creative types can do better than that but you get my point.

When someone sees me vaping they either say "what the hell is that" or "is that one of those electric/electronic cigarettes?" Occasionally I hear "aren't those just as bad for you?" I should think the point of these promos would be to get rid of the first question. To make as many people as possible aware of what these *devices* are and are not, and then you can move to explaining what makes them such an attractive alternative to smoking cigarettes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread