Complete paranoia? Reflection needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
Skokie
Long story short, a complainer whom lives with my room mate feels that vaping indoors causes "soreness in my throat, numbness in hands, can't breath" etc. This also includes to incredible sensitive smells such as cologne, sprays, coffee smell (yes you heard me), & or even perfume. This is followed by "affecting my medication & weakening my immune system" From my understanding, the complainer states it's possible to smell nicotine.

Yet, nicotine is odorless and colorless, no? Even vaping at zero at times, the complaint felt the causing symptoms mentioned above to persist. None of it makes sense.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
I wonder what the medications are for...

This person has a conviction that no amount of argument is going to change. There is nothing rational in any of it and therefore there is no point of attack. I'm sorry but I think your room-mate is going to have to either put up with it or get out.

Some people do have very sensitive noses and some scents can be over-powering to the extent of revulsion and nausea. That's enough to be a problem even if the rest is hysteria.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Long story short, a complainer whom lives with my room mate feels that vaping indoors causes "soreness in my throat, numbness in hands, can't breath" etc. This also includes to incredible sensitive smells such as cologne, sprays, coffee smell (yes you heard me), & or even perfume. This is followed by "affecting my medication & weakening my immune system" From my understanding, the complainer states it's possible to smell nicotine.

Yet, nicotine is odorless and colorless, no? Even vaping at zero at times, the complaint felt the causing symptoms mentioned above to persist. None of it makes sense.

a complainer who lives with your roommate ?
Wouldn't that mean you?

I don't vape strong flavors but I do know that people smell my vape

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
only thing that comes to mind is that disease, that tony scheloub had on the show Monk. maybe its all psychological. I know -sometimes- I can get a weird feeling of taste in my throat or sinuses that smells like something I was thinking of randomly at the time, yet nothing around me should have smelled that way.

Reactions: mauricem00

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
only thing that comes to mind is that disease, that tony scheloub had on the show Monk. maybe its all psychological. I know -sometimes- I can get a weird feeling of taste in my throat or sinuses that smells like something I was thinking of randomly at the time, yet nothing around me should have smelled that way.

That sometimes happens to me, but it's generally preceded by my dog looking guilty and leaving the room quickly. :eek:

Perhaps be it real or in their head , which to them feels real.
im ok with most aromas , except for women who bathe in perfume and it actually stings your nose.

Yup, for some folks, if they believe it affects them, it leads to psychosomatic reactions. Since my actions against troublesome roommates 30 years ago would be considered borderline felonious these days, perhaps you could buy one of those cheap air purifiers in an attempt to appease the complainer?

Reactions: mauricem00

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Is the complainer allergic to cig smoke? I saw a study about allergies -- once the body knows it is allergic to something, it will react when it perceives the allergen, real or not. The subjects in the study would have allergic reactions to pictures of things they were allergic to.

Then again, to me it really sounds like the complainer is just a complainer. There's probably nothing that can be done to appease them other than giving in to their demands. I've known people like that. I try to avoid them.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Offer to try using just PG, Just VG, Nicotine free and flavour free to determine if there is a specific irritant.
If someone complains of a reaction to more than one of those products then chances are they are a hypochondriac...
Or just lie and tell them you have switched to organic, chemical free water based e-liquid. I suspect that would work in this situation... Or punch them.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Some people go through whole life complaining about everything. These people are not happy in their own skin and if they cant make everyone else just as unhappy, they feel a need to at least tell them about it.

I learned early on that is it a very ineffective method of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread