Cthulhu Gaia RDTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
Hey guys. I literally just received this Gaia RDTA by Cthulhu mod. I won an opportunity to review it about a month or so ago, and here she is:
VWeMxhl.jpg

bf6R3rM.jpg

B3zN3AC.jpg

F7gu62E.jpg

AubHhwb.jpg

Because this isn't out yet, there's really not too much info out about it. I just received it and haven't built it yet, but wanted to share my excitement with you guys, since the preorder price is only $18, from the looks of it.

From what I gathered, it's:
- 24mm in diameter
- squonkable RDTA (don't see that very often).
- appears to have an Ultem widebore drip tip, but does come with a white 510 adapter.
- has both bottom AND side airflow (side airflow unscrews, like the Velocity RDA.)
- to refill your tank, you squirt your juice directly into the center of the deck, it will be visible in my pictures.

As far as extras in the box:
- there's an extra glass tank.
- what appears to be a squonk pin (never used one before).
- extra o-rings and grub screws.

I'll build it, hopefully, later tonight, so I can answer any questions about it that anyone has. I really like the look of it. I like that the glass is recessed into the body of the RDTA, which should help protect it against drops.

The Ultem drip tip is nice and comfy, too. The box it comes in, as you may be able to tell in the pics, has like a canvas, textured feel to it - very nice touch.

I'm most curious about the refilling method, being directly in between the coils (you can see it in my pics). I use 100%VG, so I'll hopefully be able to get that thick juice down there. That's really the only thing I'm concerned about.

Everything about this screams quality, especially at the current preorder price $18 (at Cthulhu Mod's website, can't find it anywhere else.)

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help, especially after I've built it!

Edit:

Here's some more info/preorder page.
GAIA RDTA – CTHULHU MOD

Last edited:

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
So I threw a standard 26g 316L build in the Gaia RDTA. It's a velocity style deck, so we all know the deal. Really nice vape.

U0fXyU3.jpg

Some things to point out:

- Grub screws are really nice. I'm notorious for stripping grub screws, and these didn't strip. I'm not sure if that's because the grub screws are just that good, or the Allen key tool is just a higher quality.

- 3mm standard coils fit in there with no problem. Looks like you might be able to go bigger too, if you wanted to.

- Using only the bottom airflow, it's a nice restricted lung hit. The airflow is nice and smooth. Love it. Using the bottom and top airflow, it's VERY airy - definitely will please us cloud chasers, too.

- Wicking is reminiscent of the old Avocado RDTAs, so I guess that is a con. Unlike the iJoy Combo and Limitless, etc, there's no removable collar to make wicking easier. What I did is just disassembled the whole tank, built the coils, pulled the cotton thru the wicking ports and then reassembled the tank (like I did with my old Avocado.) IMO, it's a good tradeoff to have a much shorter tank.

- Flavor on this, using only bottom airflow, is fantastic. I'm assuming that's because it's such a small chamber and because the coils are so close to your mouth. Really nice.

- The one thing I was worried about, the juice port not being able to handle 100%VG - is a nonissue. The port handled it like a champ (using unicorn tip bottles, can't comment on dropper bottles, but I imagine that would be a problem.) I actually REALLY like the juice port where it is.

So far, for $18, this thing is a steal. I highly recommend it. I'm going to buy a second one if it comes in black. I will keep you guys posted if anything changes and I will of course be here to answer questions! :)

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL

IMO, he left WAY too much cotton hanging out in the juice well. You really want to cut the cotton as close as you can to being flush with the underside of the wicking ports (just like every other RDTA, IMO.)

I leave just a little tiny bit of cotton hanging out. Since it's only a 2ml tank, you don't want too much cotton taking up space in there.

Also, he must have had something (cotton or juice) in the way of the holes where the air escapes from the tank, for him to be getting that much juice to spit back out of the fill hole. I'm using straight 100VG juice and have had no issues....and I mean, it doesn't get much thicker than that lol.

Daniel Wilson

Multiple ID Suspension
Dec 27, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple ID Company

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
Mine has shipped! Wooooooooo!
I'm excited for you! I pretty much know how you like to vape, so I know you're gunna like this one. Especially for $18 lol.

I wish they had a black one for sale. I'm not normally into colors other than stainless, but I really think black would look awesome with the Ultem drip tip.

Reactions: MMW

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
I'm excited for you! I pretty much know how you like to vape, so I know you're gunna like this one. Especially for $18 lol.

I wish they had a black one for sale. I'm not normally into colors other than stainless, but I really think black would look awesome with the Ultem drip tip.
We got a smoking deal! They are up to $34

Reactions: Petabread

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
hd6oVxL.jpg

Just wanted to really quickly show you guys how I wick mine, since yalls have shipped and I had to re-wick!

I literally cut them as close as possible to the wick holes. So close in fact that I have to use my wire cutters to do it, since my small pair of scissors can't get the wicks that flush.

Cutting them that short obviously lets you put more liquid inside, but it also keeps the wicks out of the way when you're filling it.

Doing it this way should give you guys no trouble, but if so, I'd be glad to help once you get em!

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
So you do the tilt to wick method to keep them saturated?

Yup. And since it's only a 2ml tank, and so short, you really don't have to tilt it as far as you would with the larger tanks (like the combo).

With the Combo/Limitless, since they're longer, you have to kinda exaggerate your tilts a bit (in my experience - kinda looks like I'm drinking a soda lol). But with this, it's more of a natural looking tilt.

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
I'm a pretty big Cthulhu fan, I've had almost every atty they've put out...the Cthulhu v2 RTA is one that I still love, after almost two years of using it...this Gaia looks pretty good, dunno know how much I'll actually use it but if it's really good I'll use it a lot. I'm hoping that they put the MTL tank on sale sometime....like I need another tank! lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread