Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It will be Interesting to see what People think. I have Mixed Feelings on the issue.

On one hand, what is the use of going thru the Process to Obtain a Patent if you are Not going to use its Protection?

On the Other, if Joyetech felt that Evolv's Patent was Not Valid, why didn't they Challenge the patent thru the USA Court system? Or did their Joyetech's Lawyers feel that Evolv's Utilty Patent in some way did not Effect the Products they produce?

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
On the Other, if Joyetech felt that Evolv's Patent was Not Valid, why didn't they Challenge the patent thru the USA Court system? Or did their Joyetech's Lawyers feel that Evolv's Utilty Patent in some way did not Effect the Products they produce?

If Joyetech did not think the patent was valid they would not have needed to challenge it in court, they simply would defend their actions if Evolv decided to sue them, which of course we know Evolv did.

I voted "No", because I have no issue with a company defending their patent, if anything Evolv's action may have made me more of a fan of them. I like it when people stand up for themselves. As American's we should be supportive of an American company standing up to a Chinese company for patent infringement. Or we can keep buying the cheap "knock offs" and continue to wonder where "all the jobs went".

To each their own.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
It will reinforce the belif that evolv says one thing when it suits them and does another when things change they said they obtained this patent to stop anyone else having it and trolling but clearly that wasn't the intention. Not the first time many of us will remember their stance on 200 watts until they saw it was a profitable market. Yes this will harm evolv to what degree is the real debate and I couldn't choose the not buy evolv option as I made that decision after getting royally screwed with the dna40 like many others.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If Joyetech did not think the patent was valid they would not have needed to challenge it in court, they simply would defend their actions if Evolv decided to sue them, which of course we know Evolv did.

That is One Approach. The Downside of course is if Joyetech gets a Judgment against them, it could change the way they are allowed to Operate.

I wonder how much the 9th Circuit Court may have played a Role in all of this?

Like I said, I have Mixed feelings on this Issue. Because I Do Believe that a Patent Holder should be afforded protection under a Patent. But I also see Utility Patents awarded where question if they should Not be Granted.

Reactions: Daddy

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Flavor Crafters started a ejuice line called Evolv. They got shut down very quickly. Now Flavor Crafters is in deep trouble as everyone in the company was fired. We had to stop selling their product because no orders are being shipped out anymore. Fight with fire and eventually you get burned. CHEERS!

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com

I voted "No", because I have no issue with a company defending their patent, if anything Evolv's action may have made me more of a fan of them. I like it when people stand up for themselves. As American's we should be supportive of an American company standing up to a Chinese company for patent infringement. Or we can keep buying the cheap "knock offs" and continue to wonder where "all the jobs went".

To each their own.
Donald Trump wants you! LOL j/k

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
I think in a way, it does hurt their image.

Sure, they own a patent for Vw controlled in a certain manner, but a lot of vapers simply want a device, that works well, out of the box, and for a lot less money.

Such mods exist, and come from China. I understand Evolv could not sue Joyetech until they had a US base of operations, as the other Chinese companies would also be in violation of this patent, but China is China, they even copy cars out there.

Plus, there is Vw US based manufacturers in the USA, they just do not have a big enough market to really hurt Evolv's sales, whereas the RX200 did just that.

I don't know which way the lawsuit will go, but I hope it doesn't end up affecting the end user-us, with higher costs all around.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I do believe that the Reuleaux sales (Evolv) were hurt when Joytech released the same mod at a fraction of the price with much of the same functionality in the DNA200 chip.

I don't think there is any Question about that. And Evolv's sales for their Boarded Mod went into the Toilet as soon as Joyetech released their version.

Which I'm sure Didn't leave a Very Good Taste in Evolv's mouth.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Most suits, of any kind, are settled quietly behind closed doors and a check exchanges hands.

Nothing very scintillating at all.

PRC will bury the world in ecigs, regardless of how this all turns out, and like I said before, the way technology is advancing, I don't think this particular technology will be at all pertinent a year or 2 from now anyway. Plenty of engineers over there.

Reactions: defdock

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
PRC will bury the world in ecigs, regardless of how this all turns out, and like I said before, the way technology is advancing, I don't think this particular technology will be at all pertinent a year or 2 from now anyway. Plenty of engineers over there.

I don't know how many engineers they have or if they are any good. I know that most major construction projects include engineers from outside of PRC. I was tasked a few years ago with reviewing a DAM project for a US based construction firm. My local B&M shop has a worker who was offered a 5 month position in a Chinese factory designing RDA's and RTA's - he was a chicken and turned it down however.

The Chinese people historically are some of the most innovative people in the world. With out getting to political the communist regime has all but killed the people ingenuity. I'm a firm believer that communism is playing a major part and is the reason we only see "reverse engineering" out of china now a days. The people have little incentive to think on their own.

Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread