David and Goliath: The Canadian Ecig Industry prepares to take on its enemies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
What tells me that the "founding members" are the best people to "represent" us?

Or the best people for the job?

And who's to say they're not? The assumption here seems to be that just because we don't know who all of them are, they must not be fit to represent us, despite being the same vendors we have relied upon since before ECTA was even conceived of, plus a few support members (advisory and legal consultation). With opacity apparently comes corruption even when that opacity is deemed necessary for the safety and potential success of the organization.

Given that those who represent us must by law be those with a vested interest in the outcome (i.e. domestic vendors and/or manufacturers), what is your alternative? Different vendors who are willing to risk the potential success of the organization by being transparent in announcing that they are members? What difference would that make? If your contention is that these secretive members are only in it out of self-interest, then who do you suppose is not a vendor out of at least some degree of self-interest? Who do you see that is in business for reasons other than doing business?

Seems to me this board is self-proclaimed

Of course it is. An organization needed to be formed in order to bring the E-cig battle to the government instead of waiting for the government to declare themselves the de facto winners. How else was it supposed to be formed, given that the only people who have legal standing in this fight for an industry are those who who are in the industry?

wood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
edmonton
i disagree , this is very self proclaimed and the funny thing is theres only a couple vendors i trust , i dont want the likes of evapers or juicy clear running my show , i feel alot of vendors in canada are crooked as hell , and with secret members involved its just not right i can only begin to imagine who these people are * wink wink

Last edited:

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
i dont want the likes of evapers or juicy clear running my show

You will be happy to know Juicy Clear isn't a founding member then.

I would write more, but I have to get back to my sinister plans. (its mixing a potion tonight, eye of newt, you know, voodo dolls planned for tomorrow)

Do remember, you are more than welcome to input your suggestions for the ECTA. I am sorry you dislike me, but without any input it is impossible to incorporate any ideas you might have.

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
this is a joke who are you people to decide anything , or say whats best for us , so what you set up a website and sell the product , what right does that give any of you , the consumer should regulate this and should be choosing who is representing the industry

The ECTA is an organization of vendors, with consumer involvement, which leave the opportunely for you to start a consumer group of your own. ECTA is no way stepping on your toes in this regard.

Issue we are currently addressing such as product traceability simply do not apply directly to consumers in terms of implementing them.

pyxis5000

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Edmonton
I don't understand why people are against or afraid of the ECTA. In every industry, groups are formed to put forth regulations and guidelines to keep standards high. It has to start somewhere and with people that the know the business. I believe that ECTA has the consumer's best interest in mind as we are the ones that purchase their products.
How do I really know if an e-juice is 12mg? How do I know it was made in a clean environment? I would like to see something.
They are just at the beginning and I do think we should give them a chance to present their findings.

Also, I am just 1 person and don't have the money to fight Health Canada on my own. But having a group that organize our forces and make my 1 into thousands and this will make much more of an impact.

I am curious to see who is on the board and I wonder why it is a secret. Hopefully we will know soon. I do know that my favorite vendor is on the board!

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
I am curious to see who is on the board and I wonder why it is a secret. Hopefully we will know soon. I do know that my favorite vendor is on the board!

The website with the founding member will be up this week. It was a point of discussion at the Vancouver meeting this weekend.

We had been advised that it wasn't in our best interest to reveal our identities until more process was made, as doing so could make us targets. However we have all decided to take the risk in the interest of being as transparent as possible.

The 10 founding member will be revealed with the website's launch. You will be impresses at the wide range of vendors who are in this organization. We have representation from coast to coast covering a complete range of vendors.

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
So why is membership of a simple facebook group page controlled, restricted and censored.

Multiple members have posted their views and opinions and subsequently tossed out of the group.

Sounds about the same as the rules of this very forum.

If someone decides to be disruptive, rather than constructive, they are removed for the beinfit of the other users.

When faced with a legitimate complaint from a mother irate that her underage daughter obtained products from a vendor (not associated with ECTA) “that’s too bad, it happens everywhere” isn’t a constructive or an appropriate response. To dismiss and arguably insult a concern we wish to address is not in alignment with the values of the ECTA.

Last edited:

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
ECTA understand that stuff happens, but we must listen to the concerns and come up with a solution rather than brushing issues off.

In this case, a child obtained an e-cigarette and juice. The parent was disturbed over the matter. She had contacted the vendor and did not receive a response that was to her satisfaction. She brought the complaint to the ECTA facebook group, since the vendor in question indirectly mentioned this group.

Since the parent was threatening to involve Health Canada, ECTA’s position was to moderate the issue. Hear her concerns, come up with a plan of action. Be able to demonstrate that we have effective measures in place to prevent minors from obtaining these products.

Resolution through the ECTA of issues such as this, rather than involving governing bodies is a much better solution for all of us. That doesn't involve pointing fingers at anyone, but rather coming up with a procedure we can ALL use for guidance moving forward.

Last edited:

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
Sounds about the same as the rules of this very forum.

If someone decides to be disruptive, rather than constructive, they are removed for the beinfit of the other users.

When faced with a legitimate complaint from a mother irate that her underage daughter obtained products from a vendor (not associated with ECTA) “that’s too bad, it happens everywhere” isn’t a constructive or an appropriate response. To dismiss and arguably insult a concern we wish to address is not in alignment with the values of the ECTA.

The first part of your statement is rather harsh and uncalled for. I will comment no further on it.

As for your comment about "too bad it happens everywhere" is only a half truth quote.
The comment was made as a statement (and POV) that these sort of things happen not only in the ecig world, they happen in everyday life with everyday products.
IMO it is relevant and constructive that it is a real world problem relating to all forms of products not just ecigs.
The poster could have elaborated further on such things (true) but chose not to. Sometimes just a short simple comment is enough to get the old brain running enough to decide that there could have been other factor that played into the issue from the OP.

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
There very well could've been other factors. For all we know her 21 year old boyfriend bought it for her. But that is what we had to get to the bottom of.

As you state these problem do happen in everyday life, with everyday products. Minors get served at bars. But that too is also a half truth. Bars also get shut down under the Liquor Act for serving minors.. that's the rest of the story. In our case we have Health Canada, who isn't a friend to us, and has the power to do a lot of damage.

This is the type of situation you defuse through moderation, rather than stating what she already knows, and finds unacceptable. She came to try and find resolution, not confrontation and denial.

Again "this happens in everyday life" so what.. Isn't the position of the ECTA on the matter of underage sales, so the comment was removed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread