• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

To All Concerned Canadian Vapers and to the Vendors Who Closed Their Doors - Please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Canada
I have done a lot of Googling this weekend and today as I just can't stand to sit here and do nothing while our right to vape is disappearing fast.

I came across a website Welcome to ECITA, the Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association and then read an interview with a lady named Katherine Devlin. The Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association has done monumental work in the UK to bring vaping into the mainstream legally.

As Canadian law is closer to British law than the USA's I sent her an email asking her to read the posts here and to comment on whether or not she could help us.

This is her reply (posted with her permission):

We have read and discussed the issues arising from the ECF forum thread concerning the challenges Canadian vapers are facing. It is absolutely disgusting when governments over-step the boundaries in this way. To suggest that ecigs should not be sold while protecting the ongoing sale of tobacco cigarettes flies in the face of all reason, and is utterly ridiculous.

It is very difficult to see how we can help you now that things have gone so far.

Unfortunately, we feel that the only course of action remaining open to Canadian ecig vendors will be a legal challenge.

VK Consulting – the consultancy which established and runs ECITA – can offer you one possible solution: we could do the research into your legal statutes, in a similar way to how we have done in the UK/Europe and are beginning to do in the US; we could then produce a proposed regulatory framework for self-regulation from within the industry, which could also be used for external regulation by government if they preferred this; if sufficient numbers of Canadian vendors were prepared to join us, we could co-ordinate the legal fight, and present lawyers with much of the research and evidence, thus making the whole process considerably cheaper than it would otherwise be; and we could present evidence in court as expert witnesses, based on our in depth knowledge of the industry globally, the products, and the Tobacco Harm Reduction possibilities offered by these products.

Other than that, I’m afraid we cannot see any way forward, other than illegal imports, which is obviously no kind of solution.

Unfortunately, however, since it looks as if many of your vendors are simply shutting up shop
and moving elsewhere with their business interests, it may well be too late to mount a successful legal challenge.

Feel free to publish this response wherever you feel it may be useful, and I wish you the very best of luck with your campaigning efforts.

Ultimately, we are hopeful that common sense will win out globally, but countries like Canada may be the last to come round – and even then, may simply be too stubborn. I sincerely hope I shall be proved wrong in this assessment.

Kindest regards,

Katherine Devlin

Independent Industry Consultant
ECITA Ltd

Is it too late? Will any vendor or vendors be willing to stand forward to do this? Will we as a vaping community stand behind them?

If a group of vendors does want to do this - I for one will put my money where my mouth is and send my support both monetary or otherwise to help them do it.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

IanK1968

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto Canada
www.mapleleafvapes.com
NHPPA’s Emergency Kit For Health Canada Raids .

As of this posting, Health Canada’s full compliance and enforcement of the NHP Regulations is set for June 1 2011. Now is the time to equip yourself with the essential Emergency Kit for Health Canada Raids. This guide to your rights includes everything you must know and do, to try and save your reputation, your business and your livelihood, when the inspectors arrive.

LINK TO THE NHPPA EMERGENCY KIT

TallGrass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Thanks for posting a link to the Emergency Kit.. very useful information. I would add that if you're running a business and want to protect the identity of your customers then install encryption software on the computer that contains your customer list. With Truecrypt, encrypted partitions within partitions can be created, hidden and undiscoverable. Its preferrable to keep all names on a single location with high-level security.

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
I have done a lot of Googling this weekend and today as I just can't stand to sit here and do nothing while our right to vape is disappearing fast.

I came across a website Welcome to ECITA, the Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association and then read an interview with a lady named Katherine Devlin. The Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association has done monumental work in the UK to bring vaping into the mainstream legally.

As Canadian law is closer to British law than the USA's I sent her an email asking her to read the posts here and to comment on whether or not she could help us.

This is her reply (posted with her permission):

We have read and discussed the issues arising from the ECF forum thread concerning the challenges Canadian vapers are facing. It is absolutely disgusting when governments over-step the boundaries in this way. To suggest that ecigs should not be sold while protecting the ongoing sale of tobacco cigarettes flies in the face of all reason, and is utterly ridiculous.

It is very difficult to see how we can help you now that things have gone so far.

Unfortunately, we feel that the only course of action remaining open to Canadian ecig vendors will be a legal challenge.

VK Consulting – the consultancy which established and runs ECITA – can offer you one possible solution: we could do the research into your legal statutes, in a similar way to how we have done in the UK/Europe and are beginning to do in the US; we could then produce a proposed regulatory framework for self-regulation from within the industry, which could also be used for external regulation by government if they preferred this; if sufficient numbers of Canadian vendors were prepared to join us, we could co-ordinate the legal fight, and present lawyers with much of the research and evidence, thus making the whole process considerably cheaper than it would otherwise be; and we could present evidence in court as expert witnesses, based on our in depth knowledge of the industry globally, the products, and the Tobacco Harm Reduction possibilities offered by these products.

Other than that, I’m afraid we cannot see any way forward, other than illegal imports, which is obviously no kind of solution.

Unfortunately, however, since it looks as if many of your vendors are simply shutting up shop
and moving elsewhere with their business interests, it may well be too late to mount a successful legal challenge.

Feel free to publish this response wherever you feel it may be useful, and I wish you the very best of luck with your campaigning efforts.

Ultimately, we are hopeful that common sense will win out globally, but countries like Canada may be the last to come round – and even then, may simply be too stubborn. I sincerely hope I shall be proved wrong in this assessment.

Kindest regards,

Katherine Devlin

Independent Industry Consultant
ECITA Ltd

Is it too late? Will any vendor or vendors be willing to stand forward to do this? Will we as a vaping community stand behind them?

If a group of vendors does want to do this - I for one will put my money where my mouth is and send my support both monetary or otherwise to help them do it.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks for that info Katmandu - you're a champ. I've pm'd you for additional details.

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
NHPPA’s Emergency Kit For Health Canada Raids .

As of this posting, Health Canada’s full compliance and enforcement of the NHP Regulations is set for June 1 2011. Now is the time to equip yourself with the essential Emergency Kit for Health Canada Raids. This guide to your rights includes everything you must know and do, to try and save your reputation, your business and your livelihood, when the inspectors arrive.

LINK TO THE NHPPA EMERGENCY KIT

Who would have thought that people choosing not to smoke tobacco would need to launch a fight against the government and require an emergency kit for handling raids.... It sounds more like something off a spoof show than reality.

AlbertaClipper

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Ponoka, Alberta
Maybe we need to get our own spies....

men_in_black.jpg

Katmandu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Canada
Thanks IanK1968 - 4,533 cigarettes - that's a lot of cigarettes avoided - wow.

Now if HC just understood what a profound effect vaping has had on my life and on the lives of others who couldn't put down the smokes. Would they care? Probably not.

But, my six year old daughter cares, and that's what has made all the difference.

And that's why I can't stand by and do nothing.

CellWho

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thought this was interesting:

Whenever Health Canada is directing you to stop selling/manufacturing/distributing a product, or if you are a practitioner, to stop providing a treatment, you must get advice concerning the criminal negligence sections of the Criminal Code. Section 217 of the Code reads:

“217 Every one who undertakes to do an act is under a legal duty to do it if an omission to do
the act is or may be dangerous to life.”

If you have been providing a product or treatment that anyone has come to rely upon for their health, this section creates a legal duty to continue to provide the product or treatment if failing to do so will cause physical harm.

Katmandu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Canada
See Alberta, that's why I need a suit - they are still there.

CellWho - that's very interesting - I rely on my ecig for my health - and it would be dangerous for anybody try to take it away.

My family always said that they couldn't live with me every time I tried to quit smoking - they ain't seen nothing yet if they take away my ecig!

IanK1968

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto Canada
www.mapleleafvapes.com
Items dangerous to life hmmm

Water - Lady dies after contest hold your pee for a WII BAN WATER DAMN IT

Hair Bleach - Jenny Mitchell, a 19-year-old English hairdresser, was killed when her car exploded after fumes, caused by chemicals mixing with hydrogen peroxide leaking from a bottle of hair bleach, ignited as she lit a cigarette. BOO TO THE BLEACH BLONDES BAN THEM

Toilet paper - Jonathan Campos, an American sailor charged with murder, killed himself in his Camp Pendleton, San Diego, California, cell by stuffing toilet paper in his mouth until he asphyxiated. BAN TOILET PAPER

Point is, whats so dangerous about e-cigs? I would love to know, show me some statistic that support that e-cigs have caused anything except better health in ex smokers. Show me deaths caused directly from e-cigs, show me harm to others that are around vapors. You cant show me hc because it doesn't exist now does it? Anything is hazardous if taken to extremes or used for malicious intent like stabbing someone in the eye with an e-cig, thats the only way I can think its dangerous. There is nothing hazardous about e-cigs NOTHING.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
Who would have thought that people choosing not to smoke tobacco would need to launch a fight against the government and require an emergency kit for handling raids.... It sounds more like something off a spoof show than reality.

Congrats on the stance that EV is taking! Consider me a continuing loyal customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread