DNA 200 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
I can't wait for my printed boxes to arrive, so I've decided to distract myself with more designing. ;) My wife just came in and reminded me that I promised to be in bed by midnight (I don't think I'm gonna make it...). In any event, I decided to put together a simple box this time, but dimensionally it can handle an 82mm x 36mm x 23mm battery. It's inspired by the Beta Box and is held together by four of these screws: McMaster-Carr I'll be using the Turnigy Nano-Tech 1300mAh (Part [HASHTAG]#N1300[/HASHTAG].3S.25) for this one. I think I'll try test printing it with i.materialize since the cost with $12 shipping is still $25 less than Shapeways for polished Polyamide. So far I've ordered three different designs from different services (2 from Sculpteo and 1 from Shapeways) and I'm very interested to compare the quality of all three. I haven't been as impressed with Shapeways lately and have had to have them reprint three different orders recently due to their errors.

Front Part/Front View:
dna200_simple_box_front.png

Front Part/Rear View:
dna200_simple_box_front_2.png

Rear Part/Front View:
dna200_simple_box_back.png

Rear Part/Rear View:
dna200_simple_box_back_2.png

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
@Cotay What's wall thickness for pic2 and pic3? i.mat won't accept if less than 1mm

Pic 2
x6u7oOL.png

Pic3
yD86rKB.png

Total wall thickness is 4mm with 2mm tongue/groove.

EDIT: I realized I uploaded pics of an earlier revision of the box. The wall thickness was 3.5mm with a 1.5mm tongue/groove. I changed it to 4mm/2mm in the final design. I generally try to keep all walls with screw holes and grooves at 1mm due to Sculpteo's requirements. Shapeways seems fine with .7mm for non-polished plastics, but wants 1mm if you choose a polished plastic since (as I've been told by Shapeways) the polishing process can break off pieces if the thickness is less than 1mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozen

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
@Cotay What's wall thickness for pic2 and pic3? i.mat won't accept if less than 1mm

Thanks for the tip though. The design guide states that they accept .8mm-1mm wall thickness (3D Printing Service i.materialise |
Polyamide
but I realize that the design guides on all of these sites aren't always up to date. I have had some arguments with Shapeways over their constantly changing design rules. In any event, I'm working under the assumption that 4mm is ideal for Lipo batteries with nylon plastics.

vapealone

Jun 16, 2015
@TheBloke and everyone/anyone
I am just playing with the eScribe and have a few question regarding to custom coil settings I couldn't figure out without an actual DNA200 on hand:
  1. Is it a must to normalise the TFR to 70°F or any other temp does the job?
  2. Is it just the eScribe display which rounds TFR to 0.X or the sensitivity/precision of the DNA200 is 0.X?
  3. Is there any limit of the input data pairs the board can handle?
Details:
  1. I have tried and it is possible to upload csv with 68°F normalised TFR (which is 20°C metric). As all of my data is metric it would be awesome if I could simply convert the temp. But to do that the board should be able to handle csv where the TFR=1 belongs to 68°F
  2. The graphic display of the custom settings rounds both temp and TFR to 0.X . Which means that e.g. for 316S/S the same TFR is shown from 160-350°F. I take it is just for demonstration only but again, w/o a board and 316 S/S on hand I can't tell how precise it is in the background.
  3. It is also unknown for me how the algorithm behind uses the input data. The display shows simply linear approximation between steps. If this is the case I might want to load a tons of data (i.e. for every 5° or even more) depending on the material. However, it would be lovely to know if there is any particular data size the board is capable to handle. Again, eScribe has no problem with 40+ data pairs but the board can be an other thing.
P.S.:
If 68°F normalised TFR works and the board can handle 0.00x precision TFR wise and able to handle 40+ lines of data it is just minutes to convert all my data to F and make a new tab with tons of simply copyable csv materials. Just sayin'

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
@TheBloke and everyone/anyone
I am just playing with the eScribe and have a few question regarding to custom coil settings I couldn't figure out without an actual DNA200 on hand:
  1. Is it a must to normalise the TFR to 70°F or any other temp does the job?
  2. Is it just the eScribe display which rounds TFR to 0.X or the sensitivity/precision of the DNA200 is 0.X?
  3. Is there any limit of the input data pairs the board can handle?
Details:
  1. I have tried and it is possible to upload csv with 68°F normalised TFR (which is 20°C metric). As all of my data is metric it would be awesome if I could simply convert the temp. But to do that the board should be able to handle csv where the TFR=1 belongs to 68°F
  2. The graphic display of the custom settings rounds both temp and TFR to 0.X . Which means that e.g. for 316S/S the same TFR is shown from 160-350°F. I take it is just for demonstration only but again, w/o a board and 316 S/S on hand I can't tell how precise it is in the background.
  3. It is also unknown for me how the algorithm behind uses the input data. The display shows simply linear approximation between steps. If this is the case I might want to load a tons of data (i.e. for every 5° or even more) depending on the material. However, it would be lovely to know if there is any particular data size the board is capable to handle. Again, eScribe has no problem with 40+ data pairs but the board can be an other thing.
P.S.:
If 68°F normalised TFR works and the board can handle 0.00x precision TFR wise and able to handle 40+ lines of data it is just minutes to convert all my data to F and make a new tab with tons of simply copyable csv materials. Just sayin'

Thinkin' you can get the best answers by going to the Early Adopters Forum and ask your questions there. Brandon, James, and John are your best resource for the questions you post here.

Link: DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
Anyone having anything funny with their battery meter going on? It's not really a problem, just inconsistent.

See...what had happened was: Because I've been trying to figure out what my battery life actually is like on the Opus, I have the battery meter with the percentage on the screen at all times. It was going down to about 25%, I would lock it and let it sit. I would come back about ten minutes later and the battery would be reading at like 45%, which I thought was awesome, no big deal. Tonight, it did something different. It was at like 25-30% and when I unlocked it after not using it for about five minutes, the battery life was at like 10%. Is this something with the board or the battery? I should also note that the actual battery meter (not the percentage, just the picture of a battery that looks as though it is draining) is fine and it is just the percentage meter that is wonky. I realize I am being nit picky, but when this is the only thing I can gripe about with this mod no matter how hard I try to find something, I would at least like to know if its related to the board.

Also: with Lipos, is it a bad idea to run it down to the point that it has to tell me the battery is "weak" and needs to be charged?

LiveLongAndV'ape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
OH10
Anyone having anything funny with their battery meter going on? It's not really a problem, just inconsistent.

See...what had happened was: Because I've been trying to figure out what my battery life actually is like on the Opus, I have the battery meter with the percentage on the screen at all times. It was going down to about 25%, I would lock it and let it sit. I would come back about ten minutes later and the battery would be reading at like 45%, which I thought was awesome, no big deal. Tonight, it did something different. It was at like 25-30% and when I unlocked it after not using it for about five minutes, the battery life was at like 10%. Is this something with the board or the battery? I should also note that the actual battery meter (not the percentage, just the picture of a battery that looks as though it is draining) is fine and it is just the percentage meter that is wonky. I realize I am being nit picky, but when this is the only thing I can gripe about with this mod no matter how hard I try to find something, I would at least like to know if its related to the board.

Also: with Lipos, is it a bad idea to run it down to the point that it has to tell me the battery is "weak" and needs to be charged?
Haven't noticed anything that concerns me. Sometimes when I first got it the bar will go up after the mod was at rest. Perhaps a few charging cycles are needed to break the LiPo in? Getting a full vape day out of it and running it down until "weak" message everyday. The Opus has been rock solid so far! I have accumulated mods in that quest for the One. Now all my other mods are just collecting dust now and I even feel bad for my VTC5 collection just sitting there ready to go. lol. With this long wait time for the Vapor Shark 200 and others I am really happy I jumped on the Opus. I am getting the best vape I have ever had and now pretty much focused on juices. Recently, Jazzy Boba, the Charlie Noble Pistachio RY4 and Custard. I went back in time and ordered Janty RY4 which is arguably the original.

Reactions: KTMRider

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Haven't noticed anything that concerns me. Sometimes when I first got it the bar will go up after the mod was at rest. Perhaps a few charging cycles are needed to break the LiPo in? Getting a full vape day out of it and running it down until "weak" message everyday. The Opus has been rock solid so far! I have accumulated mods in that quest for the One. Now all my other mods are just collecting dust now and I even feel bad for my VTC5 collection just sitting there ready to go. lol. With this long wait time for the Vapor Shark 200 and others I am really happy I jumped on the Opus. I am getting the best vape I have ever had and now pretty much focused on juices. Recently, Jazzy Boba, the Charlie Noble Pistachio RY4 and Custard. I went back in time and ordered Janty RY4 which is arguably the original.
Good to hear you're enjoying the Opus :thumb:. VS should be announced Aug 14ish during the ECC in CA.

Funny, I just picked up a bottle of CN Pistachio RY4 along with Treasure Island 2. Glad I was able to try them out. I didn't even want to try the Pistachio at first but the lady talked me into it and I liked it enough to get a bottle.

LiveLongAndV'ape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
OH10
"Discount20" = 20% off, should work at the Charlie Noble site if anyone is ordering. They ship for free. A couple years ago everyone was on an RY4 quest myself included. The pistachio is becoming more prominent after steeping now and I just love this stuff. Their juice tests free of diacetyl and AP so I like that too.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Stupid idea...

Wouldn't this be doable?

I suddently have the urge gutting my evic VT..

498eea12361b1482cc15d43b681a52c8.jpg

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
OK I just know you are searching batteries that will fit.

Have you found anything promising?

Duane

Reactions: tchavei

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
OK I just know you are searching batteries that will fit.

Have you found anything promising?

Duane
I'll probably use a turnigy or FP for my beta enclosure (the stock ones are overrated, 900mah is a wishful thought). Turnigy is on its way but I might go the FP route in the long run... Better batteries in my opinion.

In case of this evic VT idea... The stock lipo would do it if rewired for serial. It has 3 cells of 1.5A... They are in parallel now but could be changed and still plenty of room left on top. Even the top slider could be rewired and used as left and right button for the dna 200 but you would loose simultaneous operation (power lock?)

Regards
Tony

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
I'll probably use a turnigy or FP for my beta enclosure (the stock ones are overrated, 900mah is a wishful thought). Turnigy is on its way but I might go the FP route in the long run... Better batteries in my opinion.

In case of this evic VT idea... The stock lipo would do it if rewired for serial. It has 3 cells of 1.5A... They are in parallel now but could be changed and still plenty of room left on top. Even the top slider could be rewired and used as left and right button for the dna 200 but you would loose simultaneous operation (power lock?)

Regards
Tony

That sounds like a good project to put on the shelf for later when your curiosity gets the better of you and you have the Shapeways box working. I guess there would be plenty of screen area available since the VT has such a big screen. Just a little bit of a surround in place to cover the area the DNA screen didn't cover up?

Duane

Reactions: tchavei
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread