Do you think we are perceived any different than Smokers? Honestly..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
We are perceived differently by different groups of people.
The informed non-smoker or informed active smoker looking to quit are generally supportive because they are informed.
The general non smoking uninformed popuation has a range of views towards us from what misinformation they choose to buy into.
Be it worse than smoking health wise, fear of someone catching on fire around them, or being deemed an annoying nuisance.

In general though, there is a running joke/sarcastic undertone that male vapers are annoying, homosexual, hipster, d-bags. I find it weird that no one has mentioned it. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this displayed in meme form around the interwebs.
This has little to do with actual clouds vs whatever as these threads tend to focus on.

In my city, we have a ton of vapers and I still have yet to see people being unruly and disrespectful in public. Sure, all the shops are fogged out, but this blatant disregard of people around you, k-loudz around kids on purpose, or cloding while someone is eating next to you, I've never seen it.

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
Thank you for giving us advice on where and how to vape but I fear you're preaching to the choir. If you've spent any time on this forum, you will have realised that the vast majority of posters here are intelligent enough to be considerate of others. The idiots who cause the problems aren't the type who frequent sites such as ECF...

Where I live I'm more likely to encounter smokers than vapers - and I live in London (London, England not London, Canada)

The comment I've had most is, "How's that going? Is it keeping you off the cigs?".

I've had a couple of people swerve when I've been vaping outside but they're the type who'll swerve away from someone lightly clearing their throat (in case they catch something.) :rolleyes:

I don't care what people think, unless they work in the medical profession, and if I hear, "But we don't know what's in them...", I soon put them right. ;)

The individuals who garner their knowledge base (or opinions) from the cesspool known as "social media" are, quite frankly, not worth my consideration.

Congrats on making the switch and long may it continue :thumb:

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
My doctor told me that vaping is bad as smoking a few months ago and told me to quit. Seriously. Even doctors can be ignorant.

I now have a new doctor.
What are the chances that OP would end up with your Ex Doctor ?
Doctors are not ignorant, prejudiced? Likely..

Lu

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Up until recently I was in the, I haven't witnessed a vaper blowing clouds in a rude way set. That is, until a few days ago, while heading into the grocery store, there he was. Dressed heat to toe in black, pony tail, gripping an brick sized obelisk in his hamhock fist. The Darth Vader whoosh as each hit was taken and the huge exhale three feet from the door right into a young woman's face. I cringed...as the young woman turned her head and blocked her face from the engulfing cloud. Some people are just self absorbed embodied rudeness.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I'm curious as to y'alls opinions.

I am new to vaping, only 3 weeks or so and started to quit smoking. BUT, I have seen kinda the same thing happen as what I experience being a motorcyclist.

In your face type of behaviour that makes me self aware when I vape around others. As you all know, the majority, vast majority of the general public is very uninformed when it comes to vaping. When I observe others vape in an obnoxious manner, especially around little kids with parents nearby, just blowing the biggest clouds they possibly can, knowing full well that likely the parents of those little kids are going to say something, anything, because they do not understand what vaping is, like a vaping bully or something.

Its almost like some vapers are trying on purpose to push the buttons of the uninformed just to prove a point. Vaping where it may be permitted, like some restaurants, but then going to the extreme of puffing these monster clouds around people who are just trying to enjoy a meal, and not need a whiff of your "Kotton Kandy" or whatever cartoon show named juice you happen to be enjoying that day.

Look i'm all for freedom of choice and all that, hell I put on a uniform for years in defense of our very right to do so. And maybe its just me because im getting on in years, soon to be 47, but, and this is for all you "I do what I want, when I want, because I can" type of cloud chasers:

Please consider the image you are promoting when you vape. Be courteous and considerate around others and be aware that though the general public MAY know that you are vaping, they really do not know anything else other than what they read on FaceBook or Yahoo! News, and those are really NOT the places you want to see the general public being educated.

In closing, do you think, honestly, we are perceived any different than your average smoker?

I personally think the public at large puts us in the same category, or worse if you can believe it, because smoking has been around forever, but vaping is in its infancy. Just ask your average Joe what they know and think of vaping, it might surprise you. They don't know much to be honest.

What do you all think?
With the lies and hype from tgr media vapers are treated worse.

The lie vaping is worse than smoking

The fear every mod will explode.

Are just two of the lies

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Uninformed is my guess. He is a GP at a walk-in clinic.
Yer right, uninformed.
I just wish people would take the blinders off.
I love vaping, but there could be unknown dangers down the road.
As far as the medical community, it hard for a layman to seperate the wheat from the chaff..

Reactions: MMW and Eskie

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
My doctor told me that vaping is bad as smoking a few months ago and told me to quit. Seriously. Even doctors can be ignorant.

I now have a new doctor.

My doctor fully supports my vaping. After all, it took less than 3 weeks of vaping to go off both of my meds for COPD.
Glad you have a new doctor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Thank you for giving us advice on where and how to vape but I fear you're preaching to the choir. If you've spent any time on this forum, you will have realised that the vast majority of posters here are intelligent enough to be considerate of others. The idiots who cause the problems aren't the type who frequent sites such as ECF...

Where I live I'm more likely to encounter smokers than vapers - and I live in London (London, England not London, Canada)

The comment I've had most is, "How's that going? Is it keeping you off the cigs?".

I've had a couple of people swerve when I've been vaping outside but they're the type who'll swerve away from someone lightly clearing their throat (in case they catch something.) :rolleyes:

I don't care what people think, unless they work in the medical profession, and if I hear, "But we don't know what's in them...", I soon put them right. ;)

The individuals who garner their knowledge base (or opinions) from the cesspool known as "social media" are, quite frankly, not worth my consideration.

Congrats on making the switch and long may it continue :thumb:

A perfect example is a few weeks ago there was a thread about how to blow clouds, I don't think anyone responded to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yer right, uninformed.
I just wish people would take the blinders off.
I love vaping, but there could be unknown dangers down the road.
As far as the medical community, it hard for a layman to seperate the wheat from the chaff..

I think a good part of the problem with the medical community, especially in the US, is that it is only recently, within the last year or so, that quality studies are finally being published in mainstream, peer reviewed journals. Without that, it's hard to expect someone's doctor to simply rely on a news story that vaping is great. As more information comes out, more in the medical community will be more comfortable viewing it in a positive manner.

And yes, there still could be longer term issues we are currently unaware of that might pop up, and the responsible thing to do is encourage attention and surveillance for currently unknown risks, but so far the risk benefit analysis has been coming out with vaping beating cigarettes. But 5 years from now when there's a goat's head growing out of my left shoulder, you can bet I'll be back pointing fingers around here.:D

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
when vaping went from people using eCigs to merely quit smoking, to extreme, big cloud, look at me, hobby vaping ... it was over on the public ever accepting vaping.

when I first started vaping in 2013, I honestly thought we would see vaping indoors at certain cafes, patios and pubs ... then, cloud chasing, hobby vaping took over and killed that from ever happening.

it's kinda like folks who would normally have a couple of beers ... are now chugging kegs of beer through funnels ... and still want the public to consider them casual social drinkers :party:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread