Eleaf iStick "pico"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riplea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2010
IL
I have been using 2 Picos daily for over 5 months. The paint on them still look like new. I love these little mods. I just ordered another one bringing my stable up to 6, lol

I have tried three other mods and keep coming back to the Pico. I use mine in tc with a single coil low watt build.

I like the form factor and ease of use on these.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I have been using 2 Picos daily for over 5 months. The paint on them still look like new. I love these little mods. I just ordered another one bringing my stable up to 6, lol

I like the form factor and ease of use on these.

Hi Rip...I like my Pico A LOT...

But...before you order your 7th Pico...you might want to consider trying a Smok AL85 Baby...

The Pico and the Smok AL85 Baby are essentially the same size, features and price...(both have a "Top-Loaded Threaded Battery Cap")...

The Pico has a small screen...the Smok AL85 Baby has a quite large screen...

The Pico can accommodate atomizers up to 23mm...the Smok AL85 Baby up to 25mm...

The Pico has a quite small Fire Button...the Smok AL85 Baby has a quite comfortable (and easy to find/squeeze) Firing Panel...

:2c:

Smok Alien Baby AL85 Mod

Riplea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2010
IL
@gerrymi Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have one of those. I don't like the interface on it. That is to say the functions. I think it is hard to see the settings on the screen. So it is sitting new in box currently. I may get it out one day when I am feeling like I have a lot of patience. I was quite disappointed in it.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

But...before you order your 7th Pico...you might want to consider trying a Smok AL85 Baby...

The Pico and the Smok AL85 Baby are essentially the same size, features and price...(both have a "Top-Loaded Threaded Battery Cap")...

The Pico can accommodate atomizers up to 23mm...the Smok AL85 Baby up to 25mm...

The Pico has a quite small Fire Button...the Smok AL85 Baby has a quite comfortable (and easy to find/squeeze) Firing Panel...

Smok Alien Baby AL85 Mod

Do you use yours in TC mode?
I wanted to get one of these for most of the reasons you mention, but early reviews were all negative, in regards to inaccurate TC. There is a thread here for the mod, and most of those in that thread say the same. The other issue is the lack of any firmware updates to correct this, and it's been out now for some time. I have never been a fan of the Smok products, but liked the form factor and was going to give it a try. But as a mostly TC person, there seems no reason at this point in time, no matter how inexpensive a mod is, to not give fairly accurate TC, I don't expect Evolv DNA quality, but the Pico's prove it should be at least at that level. If you only use wattage, disregard my opinions.

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
@gerrymi Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have one of those [AL85]. I don't like the interface on it. That is to say the functions. I think it is hard to see the settings on the screen. So it is sitting new in box currently. I may get it out one day when I am feeling like I have a lot of patience. I was quite disappointed in it.

Do you use yours in TC mode?
I wanted to get one of these for most of the reasons you mention, but early reviews were all negative, in regards to inaccurate TC. There is a thread here for the mod, and most of those in that thread say the same. The other issue is the lack of any firmware updates to correct this, and it's been out now for some time. I have never been a fan of the Smok products, but liked the form factor and was going to give it a try. But as a mostly TC person, there seems no reason at this point in time, no matter how inexpensive a mod is, to not give fairly accurate TC, I don't expect Evolv DNA quality, but the Pico's prove it should be at least at that level. If you only use wattage, disregard my opinions.

Have no fear... The Pico 25 is here!
New Eleaf pico 25
It's About Time! Pico 25mm!

Same form factor as the regular Pico, but a bit wider to accommodate 25mm tanks. Temp Control works pretty well on the standard firmware, but you'll have more control and options when the developers port the ArcticFox software to work on the new Pico 25. Currently the software works on most Eleaf/Joytech mods (and Wismec, I think?).

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Smok Alien Baby AL85 Mod

The al85, at least with the original firmware, has several downsides to the Pico. High cutoff voltage, shoddy tc. It'll fit 25 mm atties, but so will the Pico 25. After my experiences with the Smok Alien I wouldn't get an al85.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
The al85, at least with the original firmware, has several downsides to the Pico. High cutoff voltage, shoddy tc. It'll fit 25 mm atties, but so will the Pico 25. After my experiences with the Smok Alien I wouldn't get an al85.

Yeah, I wish that I would have held out and not bought the AL85, too, but I had no idea the Pico 25 was coming out. People were having problems with the original Alien and I thought that Smok had solved many of them when they came out with the Baby Alien... :facepalm:

BTW, I haven't upgraded my AL85s yet; is there an advantage to NOT upgrading the software?

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Tc ss in the pico do you guys find it fires higher than the actual temp? Dna mods I set my vape to 420f on the pico I set it to 350f to get the same vape. Just my mod or others step down temperature to? I'm using 316L ss wire btw
I just got a Pico and look forward to trying it in TC this weekend with 316L. DJLsb Vapes youtube channel testing shows the Pico firing at 451 deg F when set to 400F, so his was firing high as well (go to 27:44 in the video):

On the other hand, the Pico provides more stable temperature control (29:52 in the video) than the AL85 which his testing showed a lot of spiking, overshoot and undershoot, not very stable control (19:38 in the video):

One caveat is that the vendors may have done firmware upgrades that have changed the performance of the mods DJLsb Vapes reviewed, it would be interesting to see any newer testing or actual coil temperature measurements of the Pico with 316SS. I just found this thread, so perhaps someone already has done this?
Update: Just found this youtube video where the fellow used a thermocouple to measure the coil temperature and found that a Pico TCR setting of 79 using 316L from Geek Vape provided best accuracy for him:

Video is a year old, so firmware updates may make that no longer valid. 79 is pretty far away from 92 (0.00092 in real tech talk for the TCR for 316L) lol.

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I unboxed my new Pico 75 today. First thing I did was a temperature setting accuracy test. Test conditions:
* CLR coil housing, Amor tank from Totally Wicked.
* Built a 0.68 ohm, 6 spaced wraps, 2.5mm, 316L Annealed Stainless Steel, 28AWG, wire from Temco (RW0566)
* Coil measured 0.68 ohms on an Eleaf coil meter, 0.62 ohms on the Pico
* Used a very fine wire thermocouple, DMM to display temperature
* Pico settings: M1 set to "79" TCR value per the post above (final setting from the last video). Set Wattage to 20W.

I installed the coil without a wick in the CLR coil housing and measured temperature of the center of the coil with my thermocouple. Since the thermocouple was not attached, a few times I got erratic readings, so the readings recorded below were taken when i had good contact:
Setting 200F, Thermocouple read 150 to 170F
Setting 250F, Thermocouple read 250 to 260F
Setting 300F, Thermocouple read 306F
Setting 350F, Thermocouple read 350 to 356F
Setting 400F, Thermocouple read 380 to 402F
Setting 450F, Thermocouple read 458 to 460F

Based on the results of this test, it does indeed appear that for the Pico 75, a TCR of 79 is a good value to use instead of the actual 316L wire TCR of 0.00092 ("92" Pico setting), and my results are consistent with the recommendation at the end of the video. [Note that in the video, a setting of 92 resulted in actual temperatures being 50 deg higher than the setting with 316L SS.]

FYI, For my setup I currently am vaping on a CLR 316L coil on an Amor tank per the above coil specs, my Pico is set at M1 = 79, 380 to 390 deg F setpoint, Watts set at 11W. I've played around different temperature settings but at the moment I like these settings with this build. I did find it interesting that if i put temperature setting at 450, my actual temperature with the 11W limit did not hit the temp protection (chain vaping I got up to 380 to 420).
My first day vaping Temp Control oh that's a smooth vape, and fun so far! :D I like that Pico, with my testing I have confidence in the temperature setting now, so going to order another one today. The Pico 75W is good enough for me, my tanks fit it fine. :)

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I unboxed my new Pico 75 today. First thing I did was a temperature setting accuracy test. Test conditions:
* CLR coil housing, Amor tank from Totally Wicked.
* Built a 0.68 ohm, 6 spaced wraps, 316L Annealed Stainless Steel, 28AWG, wire from Temco (RW0566)
* Coil measured 0.68 ohms on an Eleaf coil meter, 0.62 ohms on the Pico
* Used a very fine wire thermocouple, DMM to display temperature
* Pico settings: M1 set to "79" TCR value per the post above (final setting from the last video). Set Wattage to 20W.

I installed the coil without a wick in the CLR coil housing and measured temperature of the center of the coil with my thermocouple. Since the thermocouple was not attached, a few times I got erratic readings, so the readings recorded below were taken when i had good contact:
Setting 200F, Thermocouple read 150 to 170F
Setting 250F, Thermocouple read 250 to 260F
Setting 300F, Thermocouple read 306F
Setting 350F, Thermocouple read 350 to 356F
Setting 400F, Thermocouple read 380 to 402F
Setting 450F, Thermocouple read 458 to 460F

Based on the results of this test, it does indeed appear that for the Pico 75, a TCR of 79 is a good value to use instead of the actual 316L wire TCR of 0.00092 ("92" Pico setting), and my results are consistent with the recommendation at the end of the video. [Note that in the video, a setting of 92 resulted in actual temperatures being 50 deg higher than the setting with 316L SS.]

FYI, For my setup I currently am vaping on a CLR 316L coil on an Amor tank per the above coil specs, my Pico is set at M1 = 79, 380 to 390 deg F setpoint, Watts set at 11W. I've played around different temperature settings but at the moment I like these settings with this build. I did find it interesting that if i put temperature setting at 450, my actual temperature with the 11W limit did not hit the temp protection (typically got up to 380 to 420F), unless I chain vaped to get it hot.
My first day vaping Temp Control oh that's a smooth vape, and fun so far! :D I like that Pico, with my testing I have confidence in the temperature setting now, so going to order another one today. The Pico 75W is good enough for me, my tanks fit it fine. :)
A pico is what I vape most every day and run it with arctic fox firmware I rewick twice a week. When I do that I do a dry cotton test. I'm looking for the cotton to singe just slightly at 420. I get pretty consistant results. A pico with AF firmware does does everything I need a mod to do. I'm not going bigger than 22mm atomizers and not going higher than30 watts so none of the pico variations are relevent to me.On days off stuck in the house I might use my Pico mega because it stands up better and the fire button is easy to find.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
A pico is what I vape most every day and run it with arctic fox firmware I rewick twice a week. When I do that I do a dry cotton test. I'm looking for the cotton to singe just slightly at 420. I get pretty consistant results. A pico with AF firmware does does everything I need a mod to do. I'm not going bigger than 22mm atomizers and not going higher than30 watts so none of the pico variations are relevent to me.On days off stuck in the house I might use my Pico mega because it stands up better and the fire button is easy to find.
Well this is day one on a Pico for me, baby steps, lol. The Artic Fox software looks interesting, I saw some posts on that. Maybe some day, for now I have what I want - simple, and vaping :D

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Well this is day one on a Pico for me, baby steps, lol. The Artic Fox software looks interesting, I saw some posts on that. Maybe some day, for now I have what I want - simple, and vaping :D

++2,721 on this!

Pico+CLR=K.I.S.S.=Happy Vaper=End of story. G'nite!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I consider my vape simple, in a complicated sort of way. I build just one coil, 8 wraps of 30 AWG stainless on a 3mm rod that always works out close to 1.43 ohms. I have 4 mods in service, pico, pico mega, vtc mini and evic basic. For atomizers I use an rda 95% of the time and a few puffs every day on a Nautilus mini. I have a profile for the Nautilus, one for normal temp control vaping, a profile for dry burning and one more for the temp control dry burn test. Since all 4 mods use arctic fox I can keep them configured identically. AF lets me reset the puff timer and counter. AF shows me the max watts and puff time after each puff. A new feature I like is a max watts option. I never go above 30 watts so I can set the devices to never exceed that power regardless of the power mode I'm using, a nice safety feature. Having said all that the simpler you can keep your vape the better. After 2 years my brother still won't part with his N mini and Istick 20.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I consider my vape simple, in a complicated sort of way. I build just one coil, 8 wraps of 30 AWG stainless on a 3mm rod that always works out close to 1.43 ohms. I have 4 mods in service, pico, pico mega, vtc mini and evic basic. For atomizers I use an rda 95% of the time and a few puffs every day on a Nautilus mini. I have a profile for the Nautilus, one for normal temp control vaping, a profile for dry burning and one more for the temp control dry burn test. Since all 4 mods use arctic fox I can keep them configured identically. AF lets me reset the puff timer and counter. AF shows me the max watts and puff time after each puff. A new feature I like is a max watts option. I never go above 30 watts so I can set the devices to never exceed that power regardless of the power mode I'm using, a nice safety feature. Having said all that the simpler you can keep your vape the better. After 2 years my brother still won't part with his N mini and Istick 20.
I think I have some 30AWG SS, I'd like to try your build. Read more about the AF, it really looks like some great features including seeing your mod parameters on your PC (with the Tools I think). The engineer in me wants to get there some day :confused: for now I'm still learning the Pico. I did a check and I have Pico version 1.0 firmware. looking over the display features of 1.03 I prefer what I have now. Also found a video of the same guy testing temperature of the SS setting on 1.03 and it wasn't any better so his (and now my) M1 setting of 79 for 316L SS gives more accurate temperature settings for all Pico firmware versions, at least when using 28 AWG.
I have some KF V3 clones and a V5 clone I will try SS TC on at some point.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I think I have some 30AWG SS, I'd like to try your build. Read more about the AF, it really looks like some great features including seeing your mod parameters on your PC (with the Tools I think). The engineer in me wants to get there some day :confused: for now I'm still learning the Pico. I did a check and I have Pico version 1.0 firmware. looking over the display features of 1.03 I prefer what I have now. Also found a video of the same guy testing temperature of the SS setting on 1.03 and it wasn't any better so his (and now my) M1 setting of 79 for 316L SS gives more accurate temperature settings for all Pico firmware versions, at least when using 28 AWG.
I have some KF V3 clones and a V5 clone I will try SS TC on at some point.
I switched from 28 AWG to 30 a few months ago. I do the same coil, 8 wraps, on both. The reason for the change was I noticed from steamengine.org that I was using 30 max watts for 200 heat flux with 28 AWG but the 30 AWG wire would do the same with 16 watts. There is some less vapor. I got used to that. I want the extra heat for throat hit but wanted to be using less power so a single battery would last longer. The features of AF made that transition easier to figure out. There is no reason to rush into that stuff but you can set the AF firmware to perform exactly the same as the simpler OEM version.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Forcing Pico 75 to display "New Coil Up Same Coil Down so you can select "+" for a new coil:
On my Pico 75 I've learned if the resistance of a new coil often isn't different enough (for example, from .59 to .62 wasn't enough for my SS coil in Temp Control to give me the new coil message) and you won't get the new resistance, the old resistance will still be used (even if lock is off). I've read a lot about how to overcome that, including here:
Pico New Coil Up Same Down
and here:
Fixing the Eleaf iStick TC40w initial resistance locking problem.: FastTech Forums
However I haven't been able to reliably get the "New coil" message using these methods. Reading on another forum, the only way to force new coil message reliably is to put on an atomizer with enough of a LOWER resistance (a higher resistance wont do it). I experimented with this and came up with the following method that works every time:
1. Unlock Resistance (Press "-" and fire button at same time), turn Pico OFF.
2. Insert atomizer with a lower resistance (I used a 0.5 ohm kanthal coil)
3. Turn Pico ON. After resistance of the low resistance coil displays, turn Pico OFF.
4. Insert the atomizer with higher resistance you want to vape (my SS coil was 0.62 ohms)
5. Turn Pico ON.
6. Click fire button - "New coil up same down"message will be displayed, Press "+" for New Coil. The resistance of your new coil is now correctly displayed.
7. Press "+" and fire button at same time to Lock Resistance.

A pain, but it works every time and provides the cold resistance of the actual coil you are using.

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
So TC on the pico is reliable and functions well? Is that the consensus?

I have a kBox mini 75W and haven't been pleased with it's behavior in TC. I am going to try again with the RBA after I get some SS wire, but if it still stinks I may get the pico.
Did you get a Pico @lil_buddy ? See this for my experiences with Pico temperature control of SS and some techniques that will help improve temperature accuracy:
Pico problem - How accurate are mods' resistance measurements?

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
Reactions: David Wolf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread