Not open for further replies.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I'll keep you guys posted.

-Kingboomer
Looking forward to it. Since you've already cleaned the wood chips, I wouldn't think it'll need much filtering, if any. Of course the wood chips will keep a few pennies worth of your flavoring but I guess you could call it the price of steeping as it's developing. Anyways, let us know.
:vapor:

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
Looking forward to it. Since you've already cleaned the wood chips, I wouldn't think it'll need much filtering, if any. Of course the wood chips will keep a few pennies worth of your flavoring but I guess you could call it the price of steeping as it's developing. Anyways, let us know.
:vapor:

Oh it's gonna need to be strained at the very least. A bunch of these chips fell apart on the initial shake, bunch of splinters in there right now.

Damn, I MUST WAIT 3 more days at least before I can taste it... this is rough :D

-Kingboomer

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
I'd think you'd want months to hope for/expect an appreciable difference. Though it might be tough to tell with the Dark, in that it already has oak notes. Did you by chance set aside some unoaked from the same batch? A side by side taste test with a control sample might be a good way to get a feel for any difference the chips make.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Oh it's gonna need to be strained at the very least. A bunch of these chips fell apart on the initial shake, bunch of splinters in there right now.

Damn, I MUST WAIT 3 more days at least before I can taste it... this is rough :D

-Kingboomer

If things mess up to badly this may help.

How To: DIY Oak Barrel Reserve

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Attention Dark For Pipe fans who also happen to be fans of black licorice:

(That demographic is probably incredibly small)

While relaxing with a beer and puffing on some Black For Pipe, I got to thinking about what I could add to my favorite single-flavor mix. I grabbed a piece of Aussie black licorice and chewed away, going through a mental list of the flavorings I have on hand. I took another toot and it hit me!

I dashed into the craft closet where I keep my supplies, whipped together a mix and loaded up a Kabuki with a fresh coil.

Damn, this is good!

3% Dark For Pipe
1% Flavor West Black Licorice

Black licorice tends to be a very potent flavoring so for me 1% is the highest I'll go to avoid overpowering the Black For Pipe.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
IMG_3570.jpg
Attention Dark For Pipe fans who also happen to be fans of black licorice:

(That demographic is probably incredibly small)

I'm there with ya. ;)

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
@FACE MEAT I'm vaping on something similar right now:
3% Dark for pipe
.5% TFA absinthe

I'm liking how these two play together :D

@dannyv45 That's the thread that gave me the idea :D. One week in and it's really good, but I think it'll need the second week to make it shine ( I mixed 20/80 pg/vg, so it's taking some time).

-Kingboomer

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
@FACE MEAT I'm vaping on something similar right now:
3% Dark for pipe
.5% TFA absinthe

I'm liking how these two play together :D

@dannyv45 That's the thread that gave me the idea :D. One week in and it's really good, but I think it'll need the second week to make it shine ( I mixed 20/80 pg/vg, so it's taking some time).

-Kingboomer

Yep I can see it taking longer with a high VG content.

Reactions: IDJoel

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
OK update on the oak experiment:

Tasted it this morning, and WOW! This tastes just like a nice pipe tobacco, with a bourbon/rum finish. I think tomorrow I'll pull it off the oak and get it in bottles. IMHO the experiment was a success, and will definitely be repeated!

-Kingboomer

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
Not poo pooing this, but isn't that the pretty much the way most people describe Dark all on its own? ;)

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Yes, and I describe it the same way, but generally the rum and brown sugar are up front with the tobacco about mid - way (at least that's how I taste it). The oak added another dimension to the flavor, and to my taste buds anyway, brought the tobacco up to the front. This is what I'm noticing anyway ;)

-Kingboomer

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Yes, and I describe it the same way, but generally the rum and brown sugar are up front with the tobacco about mid - way (at least that's how I taste it). The oak added another dimension to the flavor, and to my taste buds anyway, brought the tobacco up to the front. This is what I'm noticing anyway ;)

-Kingboomer

I agree. When I was sent a sample from the thread we spoke of previously the first thing I noticed about it was the up front presence of the tobacco and how the tobacco took on a smokey but mild woody earth tone. Was very nice.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Those years of smoking must have killed my taste buds more than I thought! After six years since my last cigarette I tend to notice different notes in the juice mix, but it's hard to put individual attributes on what I'm sensing. I just sense differences in flavors and it's pretty much a like/dislike transaction.

Can someone clue me in on the various olfactory triggers you are sensing and how it presents itself in the vape? Maybe I need to find a wine tasting web site for clues on how to judge flavors and nuances.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Those years of smoking must have killed my taste buds more than I thought! After six years since my last cigarette I tend to notice different notes in the juice mix, but it's hard to put individual attributes on what I'm sensing. I just sense differences in flavors and it's pretty much a like/dislike transaction.

I'm pretty well the same way. I can tell some flavors in vendor juice but generally speaking I either like or dislike the juice. I rarely go past 3 ingredient mixes it makes it nice and simple to DIY. I wouldn't make it very far either in the blind taste tests in Hells Kitchen. :)

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
UPDATE:

Got it strained, filtered, and jarred. I think I lost about 10ml or so to tasting and the devil's cut. Definitely put the tobacco in the forefront, got a nice rum/brown sugar/bourbon taste throughout, definitely not as sweet on the exhale. The oak did the trick, and I'll be doing this again for sure!

-Kingboomer

Reactions: JD1 and usr/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread