FDA Regs affecting VG/PG prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
So I got this little gem from essential depot today in my inbox.

Dear Justin,

As of August 1st 2016 the price of Essential Depot's 4 Gallon VG and PG GlyCubes are going up by a minimum of 13% (from $39.00 to at least $44.00). As a repeat customer I wanted to give you the chance to stock up and beat the price increases.

To order visit -> edited

The upcoming Feb 2017 Federal E-Cig Regulations have caused a spike in sales to the 5000+ vape Shops we supply. The associated demand spike across the industry has caused VG and PG prices to go up significantly. Our manufacturer and supplier is giving us one more week to purchase at our current price. Please help keep your price as low as possible by ordering at the current price before August 1st.

Thank you again for being an Essential Depot customer

Thoughts?..
Are other VG PG suppliers doing the same? Are the manufacturers now raising prices just to gouge vapers? Not sure exactly what to take away from this (other than my liquids are going to cost more now).

Reactions: subwayaznm

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD

Dear Justin,

As of August 1st 2016 the price of Essential Depot's 4 Gallon VG and PG GlyCubes are going up by a minimum of 13% (from $39.00 to at least $44.00). As a repeat customer I wanted to give you the chance to stock up and beat the price increases.

To order visit -> edited

The upcoming Feb 2017 Federal E-Cig Regulations have caused a spike in sales to the 5000+ vape Shops we supply. The associated demand spike across the industry has caused VG and PG prices to go up significantly. Our manufacturer and supplier is giving us one more week to purchase at our current price. Please help keep your price as low as possible by ordering at the current price before August 1st.

Thoughts?..
Are other VG PG suppliers doing the same? Are the manufacturers now raising prices just to gouge vapers? Not sure exactly what to take away from this (other than my liquids are going to cost more now).
It is possible that a stealth nationwide ban on an entire industry (not well understood by anyone) might legitimately create supply disruptions. I would not personally be so quick to accuse them of price gouging. You're talking about a $5 increase on a minimum 4 year supply for most people....

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
It is possible that a stealth nationwide ban on an entire industry (not well understood by anyone) might legitimately create supply disruptions. I would not personally be so quick to accuse them of price gouging. You're talking about a $5 increase on a minimum 4 year supply for most people....

Nah not accusing. I was asking questions because I really wasn't sure what to think. And yea, I realize the price didn't go up to some ridiculous figure that I can't afford. Im not exactly business savvy so I wanted some others' thoughts as to what this is about.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Yep got the same e-mail from them and knowing there reputation I don't think there to happy about this either. They've always prided themselves with having the best quality at the lowest price. So they know this will not be good for business.

It was mentioned in another post when this FDA madness first started. They speculated that products not effected by FDA regs but related to the vaping industry may see a higher demand because of panic buying and this may spike up the price of these goods. Well it's happening.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I don't think it's either FDA or EPA. I think it's panic buying effecting supply and demand. I wonder if farmers that rely on pg/vg for feed supplement will see the same price increases. If thats the case will we see a trickle down effect which affect the price of dairy products. I didn't think the vaping community was as large as to have that kind of effect on the industy as a whole.

Last edited:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I don't think it's either FDA or EPA. I think it's panic buying effecting supply and demand. I wonder id farmers that rely on it for feed supplement will see the same price increases.
This.
Just like the price of Ammunition....

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Thanks for the insight, everyone.

So FDA released regs, demand for product goes up and consequently, prices. So while not addressed directly in the deeming, prices are going up due to a kind of ripple effect. Question mark... o_O
It's probably temporary. August 8 is a day that will live in infamy. The day the FDA dropped their vaping nuke.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Dear Justin,

To order visit -> edited

The upcoming Feb 2017 Federal E-Cig Regulations have caused a spike in sales to the 5000+ Vape Shops we supply. The associated demand spike across the industry has caused VG and PG prices to go up significantly. Our manufacturer and supplier is giving us one more week to purchase at our current price. Please help keep your price as low as possible by ordering at the current price before August 1st.

Thoughts?..
At the moment I have a gallon of each. It will be some years before I need more. The price could go up, back down, back up and down again before I need more and a $5-10 difference is trivial and irrelevent. It's hard to believe that vaping can even slightly effect PG and VG supplies. See below. (1 ton = 264 gallons)

Wikipedia on vegatable glycerin "Approximately 950,000 tons per year are produced in the United States and Europe; 350,000 tons of glycerol were produced per year in the United States alone from 2000 to 2004.[8] Production will increase as the EU directive 2003/30/EC are implemented, which required the replacement of 5.75% of petroleum fuels with biofuel across all member states by 2010, as glycerol is a byproduct in the production of biodiesel. It was projected in 2006 that by the year 2020, production would be six times more than demand.[5]"

Wikipedia on propylene glycol "Industrially, propylene glycol is produced from propylene oxide[4] (for food-grade use), and global capacity in 1990 was 900,000 tonnes per year.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Too bad PG/VG aren't traded on the futures markets. Could have made some money out of this.
go long sally's SBH@$29.33,, tractor supply TSCO@$91.65, cnc type co's,,, even 3d DDD@ $13.29,, and maybe Dow @$53.67,,,,course,, we would have to pick out battery, wire and flavor co's too.

if i were to pick,, sbh, tsci, and ddd--smaller companies tend to out run old companies,, old companies tend to be more stable... yet boring.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I need to pick up a gallon of PG at Tractor Supply for $22.99. Anyone know a good source for VG?

Go for the Essential depo deal. They have good 2 and 4 gallon mix and match deal prices.

I would only use the off brand TS stuff in a pinch. It is meant for horses and I think it may even be labled "not for human consumption" but it is still probably fine

Reactions: ShowerHead

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Go for the Essential depo deal. They have good 2 and 4 gallon mix and match deal prices.

I would only use the off brand TS stuff in a pinch. It is meant for horses and I think it may even be labled "not for human consumption" but it is still probably fine

While I was buying the American Weigh Scales LB-501 Digital Kitchen Scale at Amazon I picked up a quart each of Essential Depot PG and VG, some 60ml glass bottles for mixing and a few other things. That'll last me a while.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I need to pick up a gallon of PG at Tractor Supply for $22.99. Anyone know a good source for VG?
I agree that Essential Depot is a popular one AND they offer a couple of different VGs (palm and soy derived). But when I bought mine I found price plus shipping was actually cheaper for me at Bulk Apothecary. Note that they sell by weight vs. volume so 8 lbs./gallon for PG, and 10 lbs./gallon for VG.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I agree that Essential Depot is a popular one AND they offer a couple of different VGs (palm and soy derived). But when I bought mine I found price plus shipping was actually cheaper for me at Bulk Apothecary. Note that they sell by weight vs. volume so 8 lbs./gallon for PG, and 10 lbs./gallon for VG.
    Do you know if Bulk Apothecary sell palm or soy VG?
    Thanks

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Do you know if Bulk Apothecary sell palm or soy VG?
    Thanks
    They only state " we only use the highest quality pure vegetable USP glycerin" so; no I don't know. I think I remember reading on another thread that they actually have a couple of different suppliers that they use so the source plant can change based on price and availability. I know of another ECF member (Bill's Magic Vapor) that has been buying from them by the 5 gallon pail for years and has never had a complaint. That was one strong endorsement for me. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread