FDA Regs affecting VG/PG prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
IDJoel is correct; I asked them about this on there online-chat some time ago and they replied there VG is either palm or soy derived depending on what there supplier in Indonisia(or Malaysia, can't remember 100%) used for that particular batch. And yes they have a good rep, just like ED...

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I find it a bit weird that ED said that there Essential Depot's 4 Gallon VG and PG GlyCubes are going up 13% on 8/1 but here it is 8/8 and the price is the same. Was this a marketing ploy to start a buying panic among there customers? If it was I don't like there business practices.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey

I don't quite get why they would stop selling product due to industry pressure from the FDA when no one else has... There seems to be no pressure applied from the FDA yet that should prompt this sudden action on day 1. The only reason I can see is they've done no research as to how this would effect there business and are just running scared. This makes absolutely no sense to me.
Most every other vendor I've talked to said it will be business as usual until there told otherwise. The FDA themselves don't even know how there going to monitor this new policy.

Last edited:

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
I don't quite get why they would stop selling product due to industry pressure from the FDA when no one else has... There seems to be no pressure applied from the FDA yet that should prompt this sudden action on day 1. The only reason I can see is they've done no research as to how this would effect there business and are just running scared. This makes absolutely no sense to me.
Most every other vendor I've talked to said it will be business as usual until there told otherwise. The FDA themselves don't even know how there going to monitor this new policy.
Exactly I sure didn't get it either.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Exactly I sure didn't get it either.
I just did some reading on their 'blog' on their website and customers are leaving in droves. Maybe by withdrawing the nic base from their menu, they think it will help retain some customers????
I am just guessing here but they are really being pounded by this.
You do know they recently moved from Washington state to New Mexico, I think. Maybe all of the changes are just getting to be too much for them. But they do site the FDA regs as the reason they feel pressured, but don't offer any insight as to why.

Reactions: subwayaznm

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Suppliers will try to keep up with increased demand. Often this requires their employees to work overtime, which causes an increase in production costs.

I don't understand where this demand is coming from all of a sudden and funny how this was announced 1 week before the FDA regs went into effect. Vapers are just a fraction of the PG/VG market. Even panic buying by the vaping community can't compare to the volume purchased by other industries such as soap/lotion, food and drug industries. Are they also seeing an increase in price? Or is it just targeted at the vaping community. I imagine the price of those products produced should see a price increase as well because they now cost more to produce. We'll just have to wait and see.

I still think this was nothing more then an under handed attempt by ED to increase sales as this announcement was part of a "last chance to stock up" sale before the big increase. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock ED's reputation as a personal vendetta because they are the only source I use for VG/PG. I just think this is bad business practice and I'm disappointed in them. There product quality is top shelf and I will not stop using there product regardless but hey if this was the case they better rethink there business practice. They announced prices were going up as of 8/1 and as of today the price still has not increased.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Honestly, I think ED's price hike is a scam, and even if they were in my back yard, they'd charge me 50 bucks to pick it up. They're using the FDA specter to spook a price increase. Take it from a guy that ships stuff every day, EDs shipping rates are not reflective of what it actually costs them at the discounted bulk rates they're paying. Their prices on VG/PG are artificially low because they tack it back on with the shipping/handling costs.

I buy my VG and PG (and all my FA/TFA/CAP flavorings) via walk in (free) at Nicotine River. Their VG is the palm derived "Musim Mas" (Indonesia I believe) and the price is stable at $19.99 with no increases coming down the pike that they know about. If I want 5 gallons (2 year supply for me) it's 79.99. Their PG is DOW, also stable at $19.99. The folks there don't see any significant changes in availability of flavorings, PG/VG, or NicSelect in the foreseeable future, and we're in Jerryland (California).

I realize I'm rather fortunate to live within driving distance of suppliers like Flavor West, Nicotine River, etc, and I understand that a lot of us rely on internet commerce for our DIY supplies, but I'd encourage those in larger cities, those that CAN, to seek out local sources for the stuff you need. If I thought it was a sustainable endeavor, I'd convert our book shop to a flavor boutique, selling nothing but PG/VG and all the major flavor brands (with no mention of "vaping, ecig, etc.").

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Honestly, I think ED's price hike is a scam, and even if they were in my back yard, they'd charge me 50 bucks to pick it up. They're using the FDA specter to spook a price increase. Take it from a guy that ships stuff every day, EDs shipping rates are not reflective of what it actually costs them at the discounted bulk rates they're paying. Their prices on VG/PG are artificially low because they tack it back on with the shipping/handling costs.

I buy my VG and PG (and all my FA/TFA/CAP flavorings) via walk in (free) at Nicotine River. Their VG is the palm derived "Musim Mas" (Indonesia I believe) and the price is stable at $19.99 with no increases coming down the pike that they know about. If I want 5 gallons (2 year supply for me) it's 79.99. Their PG is DOW, also stable at $19.99. The folks there don't see any significant changes in availability of flavorings, PG/VG, or NicSelect in the foreseeable future, and we're in Jerryland (California).

I realize I'm rather fortunate to live within driving distance of suppliers like Flavor West, Nicotine River, etc, and I understand that a lot of us rely on internet commerce for our DIY supplies, but I'd encourage those in larger cities, those that CAN, to seek out local sources for the stuff you need. If I thought it was a sustainable endeavor, I'd convert our book shop to a flavor boutique, selling nothing but PG/VG and all the major flavor brands (with no mention of "vaping, ecig, etc.").

I bought 2 gallons of each several months back from them so I'm set for at least the next 2 - 3 years. It's just that I always thought of them as having a decent reputation and that e-mail advertisement I received from them got me quite upset especially after seeing that the prices never increased. Nothing gets me madder then misleading deception in advertising especially when they exploit an already bad FDA situation for the sake of profit.

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
So, no price increase.
But it is interesting how Essential Depot is pricing their product.
Directly from them, 1 g VG + 1g PG, with free shipping, $43.62:
1 Gallon Veg Glycerin + 1 Gallon Propylene Glycol - FREE US SHIPPING

Via Amazon, $34.49+ $9.00 shipping, total $43.49...
https://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gl..._SR123,160_&psc=1&refRID=S8TY3ZHT9ET21NRBNZT0

I purchased the 1g PG + 1g VG option directly from Essential Depot last 12/23. It cost $39.62 plus $9 shipping for a total of $48.62.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I purchased the 1g PG + 1g VG option directly from Essential Depot last 12/23. It cost $39.62 plus $9 shipping for a total of $48.62.
Did you order them individually? This is what the others are referring to: 1 Gallon Veg Glycerin + 1 Gallon Propylene Glycol - FREE US SHIPPING
I bought 2 gallons of each several months back from them so I'm set for at least the next 2 - 3 years. It's just that I always thought of them as having a decent reputation and that e-mail advertisement I received from them got me quite upset especially after seeing that the prices never increased. Nothing gets me madder then misleading deception in advertising especially when they exploit an already bad FDA situation for the sake of profit.
I'm with ya Danny; I just can't help but feel they were trying to use scare tactics to boost sales. If they were; shame on them! :cry:

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread