First Time Buying Wire. Is Highly Priced Wires Really Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YesManQ8

Aug 1, 2016
Hello,

First: I did a quick research and found out that most people speak highly of Temco and KidneyPuncher wires. Which is better?

Second: I've seen super expensive wires sold by twistedmesses and others. Are these worth it? I'd like to know what exactly they do that makes their wires higher in quality. I'd really love to hear some facts on this.
I mean wouldn't I be getting less ramp up and cooldown time if I wrap my clapton build with Ni80 40ga from KidneyPuncher? or are there other factors than make twistedmesses and Anarchist wires worth it?

Thanks.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Yesman
I started with SS 316 elite then went on to try Ni & Ti and bought a box of fancy coils. Ended up back with SS and I'll stick with it. It can do for both power and TC and I never noticed any significant improvement with the fancy wires. The only other coil I like are the notched coils.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello,
First: I did a quick research and found out that most people speak highly of Temco and KidneyPuncher wires. Which is better?
Second: I've seen super expensive wires sold by twistedmesses and others. Are these worth it? I'd like to know what exactly they do that makes their wires higher in quality. I'd really love to hear some facts on this.
I mean wouldn't I be getting less ramp up and cooldown time if I wrap my clapton build with Ni80 40ga from KidneyPuncher? or are there other factors than make twistedmesses and Anarchist wires worth it?
Thanks.
Welcome and glad you joined. I suspect all wires would pretty much be similar. I suspect that the more the wire costs, you may get more uniformity (ohms/meter--higher quality control) in manufacturing.
twistedmesses:
Could google metal properties:
Tensile strength
Hardness
Ductility and Bend Formability

Reactions: David Wolf

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Personally, I only use wire made from the fillings of Unicorns. But, after 35 years of smoking, I've become pretty picky about what I inhale. Please don't ask me where my cotton comes from.....:blink:

If I ran out , I'd use Temco probably. Pure Atomist is good....Amazon has some good prices on wire. Lightning Vapes is an excellent company, as well. If you feel more comfortable with really expensive wire, there's lots of people who'll sell it to you. Is it worth it? I highly doubt it....Alot of it is relabled Temco wire. There aren't alot of companies who actually produce the wire.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Personally, I only use wire made from the fillings of Unicorns. But, after 35 years of smoking, I've become pretty picky about what I inhale. Please don't ask me where my cotton comes from.....:blink:

If I ran out , I'd use Temco probably. Pure Atomist is good....Amazon has some good prices on wire. Lightning Vapes is an excellent company, as well. If you feel more comfortable with really expensive wire, there's lots of people who'll sell it to you. Is it worth it? I highly doubt it....Alot of it is relabled Temco wire. There aren't alot of companies who actually produce the wire.
Yep I suspect most of the wire sold under vape shop names is actually Temco. Maybe even Fasttech... but maybe not.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I bought 200ft rolls of Temco back in the day, worked great still have tons. I used Kidney puncher for oddball wire like when kanthal ribbon came out since it was hard to find elsewhere. If you want I can cut 3 ft lengths, call it cloud master vaping wire and sell it to you for $10 but it only cost me $7 for a roll [emoji4]

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Do you really think that all of these 'niche', expensive wire sellers have their own multi-$$$ factories or special deals with some exotic wire suppliers (who?) - no.

They are just bulk-buying wire that's been made in the same 1 or 2 factories that Temco et al run, and they are selling it at a mark-up to gullible vapers.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I was a dedicated Temco kanthal wire user until I went to find SS wire in Temco and found 3 month backorder on their SS wire. I then had to look elsewhere and lighteningvapes in ebay I got 250' roll of 34SS for a good price along with a 250' 34 kanthal, both for clapton wraps.The 250 was a couple bucks more than the 100' spools. I have some geekvape 24,26 SS and it works fine but its a bit thick for my liking. Bought some UD 28SS cheap(1.48 for 30ft) out of gearbest and it also seems to work. I also for kicks in ebay bid on a 100' 32 nickle wire and won it for 82 cents. My fav build is 28/34 claptons in both kanthal and SS or mixed, using 32 as clapton wraps kills batts fast, 34 wraps is much more battery friendly.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have a Smok TFV8 Big Baby Beast which I'm using with a RBA deck it comes with 2 .8 ohm SS Clapton coils. I've looked for .8 ohm coils but can't find any so I began making some.
I ordered a coil assortment from Fast tech, the highest is .55 ohms, not near the quality of coil in the tank. Seems the best option is to buy a spool of Clapton wire.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
IMO, Anarchist and all the other "Enthusiast" wires that have come down the pike and shilled away by Youtube Reviewer sellouts are just over hyped wire. I have yet to see any drastic improvement in my coil builds, vape quality, or vapor production using Anarchist or any other enthusiast wire compared to just basic Temco NiChrome 80 wire, Kanthal, or SS316L I get from other vendors. You are better off going with one of the manufacturer or a trusted reseller that has been around a while. There is no super high difference to pay the extra money.

Direct Manufacturer
Temco Industrial Power (can be found on their main website, Amazon, and Ebay) (especially for Kanthal or NiChrome)

Best 2 Resellers (Kanthal, Nichrome, Nickel Ni200, Titanium, and Stainless Steel)
Kidney Puncher
or
Lightning Vapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread