Different wire choices (in general, and for claptons specifically)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
So I'm (fairly) comfortable with standard round-wire kanthal builds, and lately I've been getting into SS as well. I chose SS because of its versatility in temp/wattage and even mech mods, and I've heard it has the "cleanest" taste, but I don't know much else about the different wire types. It'll be time for another wire order soon, and I'd like to take a stab at making my own Clapton wire. I've seen some tutorials, and I've even made a few working coils with the kanthal gauges I have handy, but if I'm placing an order soon I can pick out some just for the purpose.

Most of the videos I've seen use a nichrome outer wrap around an "Anarchist wire" core (is that the one that's just SS with an expensive label?) but they never go into why those wires specifically. Is there a particular reason for using two different wire types, or for choosing those two specifically? What other considerations go in to selecting the wires (both type and gauge) for building claptons?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
"Anarchist wire" is an expensive label. I'm also not sure they have a SS 316L, although they probably do. I've only seen Anarchist wire of Nichrome. If you want SS, just buy direct from Temco. They actually make the wire, unlike the rebranding of the same wire as "Super Vape Wire" for way more money.

As to building Claptons with it, you can use whatever you prefer for the wrap wire, as it doesn't contribute all that much to current flow, and it will still work in TC or wattage. As to why to wrap with different wires I can't see any advantages. The only thing might be with a Nichrome wrap you might get nicer colors after pulsing the coil. But I've gotten pretty colors with just a SS wrap too.

Reactions: Steamer861

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Claptons are not automatically better than round wire builds, but there some atomizers that I've built on where they are definitely the superior choice. When I do use them I tend to go for a single 26G core and as thinner outer wire as I can manage to keep the overall mass as low as possible. I find that multi-core heavy guage claptons end up with impractically high masses. You can overcome this mass with lots of power, but the ramp down is unavoidable and in my opinion best avoided. Jigs are good, but if you have a good quality variable speed drill, some patience and a lot of practice you don't need one.

I have built claptons with a SS core and a kanthal wrap and had some limited success with them. I don't put much faith in fancy premium branded wires.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I just buy my clapton wire - it's 26/32ga kanthal and costs 10 bucks (locally) for a 15-foot spool. I can get a lot of coils out of 15 feet.

It works well and doesn't take too long to ramp on a regulated mod. If you want faster ramp times you can use any combination of nichrome or stainless steel.

I also buy coil packs of different exotic wire types for under 10 bucks from Fastech. The packs include six coils of eight different types (48 coils total) including clapton, fused clapton, twisted, alien, tiger, and hive wire among others. You can get the packs in kanthal or stainless steel. I have both but mainly use the kanthal.

Reactions: gofishtx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread