Status
Not open for further replies.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I don't think you can get away from the fiddle factor that's inherent in vaping. Just the way it is. If you're willing to accept that you might have to put a little more work in vaping in order to get off cigarettes, vaping is for you.

No different than anything else really, takes work to get fit, or lose weight, etc. If it was easy, everyone would be fit, trim and and not smoking/vaping.

The longer you do it, the less of a pain it is. Trust me, I felt this way a bit when I started. Nothing seemed to work right. The juice I was all excited about tasted like crap. But if you hang in there, it gets better.

Fill up a bunch of cartomizers in the morning. When flavor drops off, change the carto. Refill all at night. I did this when I started. I tried some of the clearo's/tanks. Some are OK, not my cup of tea I guess. Drawbacks with everything. Now I'm back on cartos or attys.

I'm grumbling, but I'm not smoking.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Fill up a bunch of cartomizers in the morning. When flavor drops off, change the carto. Refill all at night. I did this when I started. I tried some of the clearo's/tanks. Some are OK, not my cup of tea I guess. Drawbacks with everything. Now I'm back on cartos or attys.

I'm grumbling, but I'm not smoking.

Cartos are the easiest I've found. Even when not using them I have some as back ups. It's not either/or for me - but in terms of less fiddling I do find drip filling cartos quick and easy, and vaping with them pretty consistent too.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
I found simple and reliable over 2 years ago when I bought my first REO. Do some reading here:

Reos Mods

My reo with shorty cartos is very hassle free. Love it.

I did a lot of experimenting with clearos, cartos, rebuildable and carto tanks.

I have a few setups I like
Reo mini and mini 2.0 Both with shorty carto. Love the ease, solid vape and battery life.

Provari and other tube mods with triple v tanks (EASY fill hole), or vivi novas.

I threw a lot of money at not smoking. The above (a reo and/or a provari) are where I wish I started. I don't even know if my personal setup would work for everyone. In the end, it is personal...and worth it!

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Absolutely not getting in the center. If this was the case, once its cleared out, why the constant leakage on the battery.

Then you got a bad one. Should not leak. Where is the leak coming from. If it is from the center hole well!!! The only time I have ever had that problem was when I did not use some sort of needle point!!

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
While I'd generally agree with those who recommend a Vivi Nova (I prefer the Mini version,) it's basically the same design as a CE4, but the head is changeable and the tank disassembles.

I've had quite a few CE4s, and none have ever leaked. While it's possible that you got some bad ones, I'd suspect user error without any more information than I have here. Also, depending upon your vaping technique, you may get some condensation that runs down the air tube. This can be alleviated to a large degree by continuing to draw on it for a second or so after letting off of the button, thus clearing any trapped vapor from the atomization chamber.

They (CE2, CE4, Vivi Nova, etc) should not be filled above the bottom of the slot that the wicks comes from, and the silicone cap at the top of the center tube should at least lightly touch the wicks. This design is not conducive to laying your PV down on it's side, either, so you should keep it relatively upright at all times when not actively vaping. Standard cartos with filler are the only thing that I've had that can be left on their side. I don't like those, so I learned to deal with clearos.

Generally, if you can abide all of that, these designs are otherwise very consistent and fuss-free. Plus they can be made to work for a long time, with some minor maintenance.

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
North Eastern Pennsylvania
While I'd generally agree with those who recommend a Vivi Nova (I prefer the Mini version,) it's basically the same design as a CE4, but the head is changeable and the tank disassembles.
Very true that they are essentially the same. But I can leave my vivi upside in my truck ( by mistake ) pick it back up 2 hours later and vape away with no problems. I could not however do that with my stardust style clearos (not sure why)

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I've used the 'Stardust' type ( I think this is what your speaking of) and I have found a couple to be leakers. It is in my opinion that this is due to the silcone cup on the post not down far enough on the wicks which causes seepage into the battery. Also, you did not mention the type of wicks in them; short, long or multi wicks. I have found that some manufacturers wicks are not thick enough to prevent leaking. I have rebuilt these leakers using 3 mm silica rope and it has stopped the leaking.

I now use the Kanger Ego CC T2's which I find are much better and hold more liquid. They are also 'changeable coil' models, which is to say, you can easily replace the wick/coil assembly. I have yet to replace one with a purchased coil/wick as they are quite easy to rebuild and I always substitute 3mm silica rope (long wick) in them when time for a new one; however, if you clean and dry burn them regularly, they can last for months without a need to rebuild.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I can sympathize with the OP. The Chinese make total junk. Their QC is laughable (if it didn't cost so much $$). And it extends way beyond e-cig contraptions. Bought a $120 replacement part for my TV the other day. I installed it and it didn't work. Had to pay a TV repair guy another $112 to figure out the part was defective. He had to put a shim in it to get it working. Cheap Chinese crap! What saddens me even more is we, as Americans, can't compete with them?? We are truly in sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad shape in this country if we can beat the Chinese and their horrible quality.

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
North Eastern Pennsylvania
What video did you watch? Tough to tell what the guy is talking about if we don't know what video it was.

Offhand I don't know about "filling the well" as there is no well on vivi novas. Do you mean the juice in the video is filling up in the drip well?

If that was the case, the guy in the video was doing it wrong. I switch tanks on my novas all the time because I like the different colors they offer them in and never had one leak.

The only issue I had was over tightening the cap (silver or black part on the top) when I go to take it off it unscrews the head just enough to have it leak down the center when I refill with juice. I do have to say that I fill my vivis up to the wicks which cause my issue sometimes.
The only thing I can recommend is to make sure that top head is screwed down good.

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
I use these CE4 type clearomizers as well, on eGo/KGO/Riva and other 510 connections and I do NOT have problems with them other than the fact that they slightly mute the 'taste' of the juices. Yes, a teeny tiny bit of fluid will pool atop the battery during heavy vaping, but that is easy to remedy - take off the clearomizer, shove a bit of tissue into the the connection of the battery and twist it about a few times and the liquid is gone. Put the clearomizer back on and vape away again. It takes no longer to do this than it does to fish a cigarette pack out of your pocket, (or hand bag), shake, (or pull), out a cigarette, light that cigarette, then put away the pack and the lighter..... Seriously, it is a 30 second thing to remove clearomizer/wipe battery/replace clearomizer.

I am thinking that it is VERY possible you may be over filling these clearomizers if they are causing you that much grief. You do not want the level of the liquid to be higher than the 1.6ml mark. In fact, I do not fill mine over the 1.4ml mark. Overfilling will cause liquid to get into the air tube and make a gurgly mess.

~Tiger

I am not using the poly filled stuff, been down that road as well, so so. Here is the latest, dual wick. Filling these are stupid simple, drip it in. Within 15-20 minutes, top of the battery is soaked, can hear the gurgling and bubbling when vaping. Take it off, blow it out, clean top of battery, 20 minutes later voila, same ole same ole.

View attachment 146087

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I favor clearos too, and have had crummy results with just about all of them except the Kanger T2s and the CE4's. The biggest success I've had by far is this - ensure 200% that they are the official eGo products. Lots of places sell them, but if they're not the eGo brands don't touch them. PS I haven't tried the Smoktech versions however. Maybe someone else can chime in on their reliability.

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
I used these (CE4/Stardusts) when I first started vaping. I used them on stick batteries before I got my eGo's.

The only time I ever had a leaking issue was if I over filled them, or if I laid them on their side when I wasn't using them.

I switched over to CE3's and have zero leaking issues now regardless of how I position my device when not in use (as long as you don't leave them in a hot truck in the Texas heat) and I can actually taste the flavor of my juice now.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I used these (CE4/Stardusts) when I first started vaping. I used them on stick batteries before I got my eGo's.

The only time I ever had a leaking issue was if I over filled them, or if I laid them on their side when I wasn't using them.

I switched over to CE3's and have zero leaking issues now regardless of how I position my device when not in use (as long as you don't leave them in a hot truck in the Texas heat) and I can actually taste the flavor of my juice now.

I've been using the CE3's (or GV's version...Phoenix Bottom Coil) for more than a month now and I really like them. They are subject to some poor Chinese quality like any ecig device, but they are nice little clearos. However, the new versions with the larger bases are getting mixed reviews. I just got in 3 boxes of the newer version so I will be finding out soon.

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
I've been using the CE3's (or GV's version...Phoenix Bottom Coil) for more than a month now and I really like them. They are subject to some poor Chinese quality like any ecig device, but they are nice little clearos. However, the new versions with the larger bases are getting mixed reviews. I just got in 3 boxes of the newer version so I will be finding out soon.

I buy the cheapies from either DiscountVapers or Vapors-Choice. It just depends on what else I need to order as they aren't much different on price. Vapors-Choice does offer them in 2 different resistances though.

I've been using them for a while now and prefer them over just about everything else I have tried, including a very expensive Genesis type atomizer. Out of all the ones I've bought, so far, I've only had 3-4 duds, so not bad.

Sure, they only hold 1.5ml of fluid, but I can fill 5-6 of them an put them in an empty Altoids tin with a bit of paper towel and be good to go for quite a while.

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Woody, be careful on believing all the reviews you read about the Vivi Nova tanks. Some people try to save $2 or $3 and wind up buying cheap knockoffs, which leak and perform poorly. Then they come back here saying the Vivi Nova sucks. Well, they DON'T suck. The knockoffs suck.

I buy the genuine Vision Vivi Nova tanks, and mine have never leaked a single drop. Nor do I get any gurgling unless I overfill them or get juice in the center hole.

Buy a couple of genuine Vivi Nova tanks - either the full size (approx 3.5ml) or the Mini size. GotVapes sells the real deal. So does HoosierEcig.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread