Status
Not open for further replies.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Hi, this is such a fantastic thread :thumbs:
Thank You All for your efforts and giving us the ability to make our own repairs.
I have just succeeded in making my first SS wick for a Stardust CE4. RockinRobbie if it wasn't for your YouTube video and one by TheVanBastensUK, I would never have even tried it. Yours because I can see everything you're doing and Marco's because he explains the SS wick prep quite well.
I used 32 Kanthal A wire, tested to 2.5 ohms. Using ego twist - I can now understand and taste the difference, I have cotton wicks on order and am itching to get underway with those too.
However, being on a SS wick, one question:
Does anybody who has used a SS wick in a stardust, get a really warm stardust, not boiling hot or anything, just really really warm? I panicked a little and took it all apart again, in case anything was burning or melting inside but all is well, and nothing tastes burnt, but I'm concerned with the heat being created? Any ideas? :unsure:

craftmath

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2011
Wilson, NC
Around the 4:30 mark of the original video in the first post, its evident that the silicone sleeves get burnt. Just wondering if any of you have alternative pieces for the silicone sleeve to avoid burning. I've thought about using a small amount of NR wire on both ends of the R wire (similar to the ody setup). That way, you will not have the excess R wire heating up parts of the atomizer (silicone sleeve) that aren't intended to be heated. I'd like to find an alternative to the silicone sleeve though because if the wick sits on top of the sleeve anyway, hot wires will come in contact with the sleeve. Just wondering.....

batachat

Oct 18, 2011
Tallinn
Last edited:

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
The Resistance heating wire Kanthal A 32 awg 75 ft you listed is SOLD OUT.

Can I buy something different? I see these for the same price...
Resistance heating wire Kanthal D 46 awg, D 40 , D 38
Resistance heating wire Kanthal | eBay

What's the different?

Also, for the McMaster-Carr can I get the rope somewhere else?
Charged too much for shipping and I only one...a piece lol

Here is my video on how to re-wick and replace the coil on the Gotvapes Stardust. This just released clearomizer is extremely well designed and should survive for quite awhile. Probably the seals would be the first to go (and if you can figure out how to replace those, they may last years). Everything else is quite solid.

Description from the video:

Many people have been interested in changing the wick on the Stardust since my last video, so this should answer all questions. Please note that we are dealing with electrical currents and if you do not do it right, you could short circuit your batteries - SO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK! That said, if you are comfortable changing the wick and take the necessary precautions (use a multimeter!), there is no reason why a Stardust can't last you many, many months.

Forgot one small step. I run a flame over the wire and wash it off to make sure there's no particulates or machine oil on it.

BTW, after the video, I used a Provari to double-check the ohms reading on the re-wicked Stardust and the Provari got a 1.8 ohm reading, which explains why my vapor was very warm. If you don't like warm vapor, you may want to play around with different wire thicknesses (awg). If unsure, ask for advice on the ECF forums. They are very helpful!

Below are some links:

E-Bay Seller (coinswiesiek) of resistance heating wire (Kanthal A 32 awg 75 ft) - I got my wire very fast.
Resistance heating wire Kanthal A 32 awg 75 ft, | eBay...

ECF Thread on wicks (several links in this thread):
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/262201-mcmaster-wicks.html
If you get McMaster wicks, get the LOOSELY TWISTED ceramic rope:
McMaster-Carr

Clouds of vapor wick and wire for the iatty which can be used as well:
Store...
(They also sell $10 multimeters.)

Mergryphon's Tutorial on using a mulitmeter for ecig users:
Multi-Meter How to for Electronic Cigarette users - YouTube

How to Disassemble and Clean the Stardust:
Gotvapes Stardust: Advanced Cleaning - YouTube

Status