Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I've been struggling with an underlying silicon taste with the stardusts, so I started doing a mod (below) to create more distance between the heating element and the silicon. I've come to realize I'm not only tasting silicon at times, but also have become sensitive to the taste of nichrome wire. Even after all the boiling, burning and dry burning in the world, I can taste it on the first few hits of a fill. (Time to try kanthal? :) ). Anyway, this is a variation of a trick mentioned previously using no resistance wire, with hypodermic tubing instead

1) Get your stuff. That's stainless steel 27 gauge hypodermic tubing (very useful for CE2 modding as well, e.g. repairable CE2)
IMG_0407.jpg

2) Make your coil as usual
IMG_0418.jpg

3) Slide in your wick (this is 100% cotton yarn btw)
IMG_0419.jpg

4) Check your resistance with your leads all the way up to the point where the coils leave the wick, which is where your hypodermic tubing will "take off" from. Or check where you think you will push the tube up to/push the coil down to. Since I planned on pulling up out of the tubes a bit(see below), I started with a lower resistance than I wanted to end up with
IMG_0423.jpg

5) slide hypodermic tubes over the coils (this is hard at first, but after a few times you can do it in seconds. you just have to make sure the end of the tube wasn't crimped shut when you cut it, and if it is, just work it open with needle nose pliers). check for electrical continuity and resistance
IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

6) cut to desired length ( wrong pic, didn't leave them this long...I think haha)
IMG_0410.jpg

7) insert silicon/wick/coil assembly
IMG_0411.jpg

8) work it down, and then press the silicon further in with whatever implement you like. insert core.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

9) you can check your resistance again at this point. the tubes fit pretty tight, but can slide away from your original position increasing your resistance. if you re check and its too low for you, you can gently pull upwards and the silicon will hold the tubes in place as you slide the wire out a bit. a little bit at a time, or you'll end up with 5 ohms. I pulled up and ended up with 2.6 vs. the initial reading, which is where I wanted it.

IMG_0425.jpg

Let it rip!

notsmoking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Vermont
Hello cos, I asked him the same exact question on the rebuildable ce 2's
here is what my answer was: I got mine on amazon for 3.66 with free shipping (amazon prime). Just a warning, its 5 feet of tubing, and it comes in a 5-6 foot long tube. My gf was not pleased LOL.

Here is the link: Amazon.com: Stainless Steel 304 Hypodermic Tubing, 27 Gauge, 0.0163" OD, 0.0123" ID, 0.002" Wall, 60" Length: Industrial & Scientific

I'm going to order the 24 gauge myself, as based on this thread that gauge will fit through the cup holes without modification. If I can get the same stability of electrical contact plus a little extra stability from the increased gauge, it'd be nice. If it doesn't work, not much ventured...

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
hicksville! very nice cos, a fellow long islander :) Just like notsmoking said about the tubing

This may help some, may not. But I figured it was worth posting for those like who get 50/50 good vs. silicon taste with the standard method.

I also like the ability to increase my resistance with a tug. It would be way cooler if I could adjust in both directions (sometimes it works) but not usually. Low tech variable resistance modding!

I should also note (i said this a few posts back) that I've had resistance go UP on me with the standard recoiling as well, just from things moving. So its a problem/advantage with both methods (for me anyway) depending on how you look at it

Aras

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
USA Pennsylvania
thevaporchef.com
Has anyone tried these new Vision Nova ? Looks to be another Vision you can rebuild, I just
hope they dont have a leaking problem.

Vision Vivi Nova Clearomizer | eSmoker Online

I have one that I got as a gift. It doesn't leak at all but the wire heats up before it hits the wick. That's what brought me here. I'm trying to figure out how to make my own coil/wick and where to get the supplies. If anyone has a link to coils 101, please post it. Also a link to wicks/coils R' us would be nice.

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
Also, i have heard that some CE4's are actually glued at the bottom. If so, do you have any suggestions on how to loosen it up so that they can be taken off?

I've found that some of them that don't want to 'wiggle' off, so I apply a little twisting motion to the ring while I wiggle. If the bottom isn't too cracked up, then off they come.

HTH!

lynch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2011
Lynchburg,Va

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY

fishohunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
One 'Fcuk' City
Please post when you receive a reply. I'd be very interested!

This will be the spec and price...
Length : 47mm (without drip tip)
Diameter : 14mm
Resistance : 2.4 - 2.8ohm

Price - USD2.98/pc below 100pcs
USD2.78/pc over 100pcs
USD2.48/pc over 500pcs

Hope it helps....

lynch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2011
Lynchburg,Va
Lynch... that was through the Esco website? Maybe it's time for a mini-co-op. I'd be down for 10 pcs.

p.s. Is that where you found that 'breakdown' picture? I couldn't find that on Esco's web site.

No, I've ordered from them in the past and every so often or when they have a new item
they send me a email. I never had any problems with them or the items.
A co-op sounds better than ordering 50, If you can rebuild them like the stardust no need
for more than 10-20.

Arthure

Verified Member
Mar 29, 2012
Surprise, AZ
Why aren't people useing pliers and a long 510 adapter to pull the centers...no risk to a battery and plenty to grab on to?

Off topic sorta:
Just a note the gotvapes mini 510 to 510 adapter works much better then a 510 to ego adapter when you need something a little shorter. It makes the Stardust on a SS vtube mini look like it was made for it. Nestled in for a great clean look.

I have the short gotvapes mini 510, a ego adapter and a long 510-510 each works best for different batteries but the ego adapter is the most finicky but works on my flay top vtube. The longer 510 i use on my Icon and it is just a hair long where the other two refuse to work on the Icon the mini is too short.

Note the threads were jacked on the mini as delivered had to chase it with a sacrificial carto once done awesome look. Can't post a pic from ipad sorry.

Arthure

Verified Member
Mar 29, 2012
Surprise, AZ
What is a comparable combo of wire and wraps to match the 2.1-2.4 standard stardust performance?

Any have a source for the fatter wick?
Edit: seems like the size of the wick would vary the resistance greatly since the fatter it is the longer the coil is in the end.
Is that a concern when rewicking?

Arthur

I am going to do a stainless mod one day... Don't tell the wife!

RockinRobbieSF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
San Francisco, CA
www.lusternia.com
Is that place new ? never seen them befor. I was hoping they would be about the price of
a vision ego "Stardust" $9.99 seems high ? Might have to order from China :D

Well the price would be fine if they sell the "atomizing cylinder" separately at a reasonable cost. These look neat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread