GP Series by VapourArt - Official Thread for GP Spheroid, GP PAPS, X, GP Piccolo, GP SnP and more - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
Maybe some type of hybrid than like the ZNA where it's not really a box but not a tube either. Or maybe we just have to wait for smaller chips. I recently bought the Dicodes 2380 as it is really the only good option right now for regulated tube with TC. For reference it's a little shorter than a Provari in all battery configurations.

I love minimalism in the form factor and I find the current boards to be huge for a regulated tube mod. They are better fitted for a box mod in my opinion.

dems86

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA, US
pic6 has a high end dna30 tube next to my x in 350 mode. I did not buy the flute.

The Erlkönigin : PICTORIAL
Lol, the Swabia 1337...that thing is HUUUUGE.

In like 350 mode it's taller than the WAE2 and Dicodes 2380 in 18650 [emoji14]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

btobw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
The V4 looks gorgeous, but it's going to be a while for me. Apart from the fact I've committed funds elsewhere, the house is an absolute money pit at the moment. Not only am I going to have the inside totally repainted at vast expense, but on Saturday night I had a fire in my meter box. All the power went, and I went to check on the fuses. I flicked the main switch back on - and the insulation around the line from the mains electricity caught fire!

Naturally, it was midnight - these things never happen in the daytime. I blew out the (small) flames and called an emergency electrician. It's winter here. The electrician spent three hours in the middle of the night, in temperatures hovering around freezing, replacing pretty much everything in the meter box.

It could have been a lot worse, of course. I'm very grateful I was home when it happened.
40318-Broke-Koala-Businessman-Turning-Out-His-Empty-Pockets-Poster-Art-Print.jpg

Augmented Dog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
The V4 looks gorgeous, but it's going to be a while for me. Apart from the fact I've committed funds elsewhere, the house is an absolute money pit at the moment. Not only am I going to have the inside totally repainted at vast expense, but on Saturday night I had a fire in my meter box. All the power went, and I went to check on the fuses. I flicked the main switch back on - and the insulation around the line from the mains electricity caught fire!

Naturally, it was midnight - these things never happen in the daytime. I blew out the (small) flames and called an emergency electrician. It's winter here. The electrician spent three hours in the middle of the night, in temperatures hovering around freezing, replacing pretty much everything in the meter box.

It could have been a lot worse, of course. I'm very grateful I was home when it happened.
40318-Broke-Koala-Businessman-Turning-Out-His-Empty-Pockets-Poster-Art-Print.jpg
Ouch!
I have a verrry old house that is also a money pit.
Last year at this time we had to spend a small fortune on extensive exterior repairs, so I understand. I have empathy for your situation.
Wish you the best!

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I do have a constructive criticism though. This mod was shipped with the short pin in the GPin... as if I was going to use a button-top battery. I had to take apart my GPin to replace the pin with the longer one supplied. I have a ton of mods and it didn't take me long to figure this out, but a lot of people who aren't quite as adept with this stuff are going to think their mod is defective when they open the box and pop in a battery and it just starts rattling in there. I think this mod should be shipped with the pin for flat top batteries already installed... nobody uses button-top anymore.

hobbes4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2009
I do have a constructive criticism though. This mod was shipped with the short pin in the GPin... as if I was going to use a button-top battery. I had to take apart my GPin to replace the pin with the longer one supplied. I have a ton of mods and it didn't take me long to figure this out, but a lot of people who aren't quite as adept with this stuff are going to think their mod is defective when they open the box and pop in a battery and it just starts rattling in there. I think this mod should be shipped with the pin for flat top batteries already installed... nobody uses button-top anymore.

The Gpin length isn't just used for button or flat top batteries, it also depends on which battery size you are using (18XXX) and the manufacturer (since the length differs slightly between them). For example, i use the long Gpin in 18490/18500 mode (Paps V3) even though i'm using a button top battery. Also, AW batteries are still very popular and all of them are button tops so i don't think it's really fair to say nobody uses button top anymore.

Not trying to criticize you, just saying, and i'm glad you are enjoying the Paps V4. I missed the first round but will definitely add one or two to my GP collection in the future.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
The Gpin length isn't just used for button or flat top batteries, it also depends on which battery size you are using (18XXX) and the manufacturer (since the length differs slightly between them). For example, i use the long Gpin in 18490/18500 mode (Paps V3) even though i'm using a button top battery. Also, AW batteries are still very popular and all of them are button tops so i don't think it's really fair to say nobody uses button top anymore.

Not trying to criticize you, just saying, and i'm glad you are enjoying the Paps V4. I missed the first round but will definitely add one or two to my GP collection in the future.
There are different tubes for the v4 for smaller size batteries. I don't think I could fit anything other than an 18650 in the 18650 tube that came with mine. There are a few button top batteries still around, but the vast majority of high-drain 18650 batteries are flat top. 25R, VTC series, HE2, HE4, etc. When I first opened the box and looked at the contents, I figured that an extra identical replacement pin was sent. You can't really tell its a different size with the other pin installed in the top cap. But then when the battery didn't fit in the mod, I had to take it apart. I looked at the switch, looked at the delrin spacers, looked at the top cap, and then decided, "oh well, guess I gotta look inside this GPin." And then I saw that the pin in the GPin was about half the size of the sent replacement. So I put it together the way it should have shipped and its been fantastic. I think that some people are going to be angry when they get their mod in the mail if their top caps come with the short pin and they don't figure it out right away. This could be mitigated with a simple picture showing that there are two different size pins. Or, just ship it with the long pin as there are significantly larger proportion of vapers using high-drain batteries with flat tops.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
@DaveSignal : This has been discussed many times over on this thread/s since the GPin was introduced. Everyone here, as well as folks who use GP gear/s know about it. However, you're definitely correct there ~ for the new-to-Paps purchaser a short inlay card with pics of the GPin assemblies would surely help.

Ps.: Nice pic there btw :)

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I imagine that Vapourart has a box of Paps v4 top caps pre-installed with the short GPin and a box of bags of spares that include the long GPin that they package up when fulfilling orders. I don’t fault them for not taking the time and effort to make sure that Paps v4s with 18350 tubes have the short GPin installed, that Paps v4s with 18500 tubes that people might typically use with 18490 batteries have the long GPin installed, and that Paps v4s with 18650 tubes that people might typically use with a flat top battery (which is debatable) have the long GPin installed. I’m not sure what Vapourart would do if someone ordered a GP Paps v4 with all three tube sizes – use the most commonly sized GPin for the given tube size that they happen to attach it to when shipping without knowing which tube their customer may actually use first? Even if they took the time and effort to try to guess which size GPin might be appropriate, they couldn’t possible get it right all of the time. I have both button top AW 18650 batteries and flat top Sony VTC5 and LG HG2 batteries, so Vapourart couldn’t possibly guess which battery I might use first (although I don’t really use 18650s in mechanical tube mods as I prefer 18350s with the short GPin).

This has definitely been discussed in ECF’s Vapourart threads, but I agree that including a small card with orders that discussed this might be helpful to some.

Congratulations on your new GP Paps v4 Dave! I'm very glad that you like it. My DHL package should arrive tomorrow.

Woody7781

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Buffalo,NY
So I got my Paps in the mail today. That was WAY faster than I expected! This thing is gorgeous. And it fires everytime. I have a Velocity on it with a low resistance build, lower than .3 ohm. It works perfectly.
4yU08MR.jpg
Funny to see you here Dave! Glad you've joined the family.

dems86

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA, US
I imagine that Vapourart has a box of Paps v4 top caps pre-installed with the short GPin and a box of bags of spares that include the long GPin that they package up when fulfilling orders. I don’t fault them for not taking the time and effort to make sure that Paps v4s with 18350 tubes have the short GPin installed, that Paps v4s with 18500 tubes that people might typically use with 18490 batteries have the long GPin installed, and that Paps v4s with 18650 tubes that people might typically use with a flat top battery (which is debatable) have the long GPin installed. I’m not sure what Vapourart would do if someone ordered a GP Paps v4 with all three tube sizes – use the most commonly sized GPin for the given tube size that they happen to attach it to when shipping without knowing which tube their customer may actually use first? Even if they took the time and effort to try to guess which size GPin might be appropriate, they couldn’t possible get it right all of the time. I have both button top AW 18650 batteries and flat top Sony VTC5 and LG HG2 batteries, so Vapourart couldn’t possibly guess which battery I might use first (although I don’t really use 18650s in mechanical tube mods as I prefer 18350s with the short GPin).

This has definitely been discussed in ECF’s Vapourart threads, but I agree that including a small card with orders that discussed this might be helpful to some.

Congratulations on your new GP Paps v4 Dave! I'm very glad that you like it. My DHL package should arrive tomorrow.
I always just assumed Perseas was psychic, he seems to know so much about everything, that it was the only conclusion I could come to ;)

He knew exactly what I wanted in a new Spheroid too...kinda eery

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

hobbes4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2009
I get what your saying Dave and agree it could be confusing for new GP owners but if they start shipping all the top caps with the long pin then the same problem will exist for 18350 purchasers, just in reverse. It's not going to be efficient for GP to assemble the Gpin two different ways and keep them separate for different mod configuration purchases. Also, a lot of people use 18490/18500 with a kick in 18650 tubes so again it's not just 18650 flat tops.

Maybe a picture like you suggest or short inlay card like Qorax suggest is the answer but i really don't see it being a big enough problem to waste the paper it would take to print all those cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread