Hacking the eVic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks encrypted to me as well. It doesn't seem that the voltage or wattage limitations are limited by firmware, but by hardware, so I wouldn't expect any firmware update to lift any limits.

Agreed, but in 1.0 the wattage limit is 15 watts, now it is 11 watts. Did the hardware change? I don't know. I also don't like that it scales back based on the atomizer. I have cheaper hardware that lets me to set my voltage and it delivers it, why not the evic? Or is it a pretty girl on the outside and a hollow soul in the outside? (meaning cheaper than cheap (VAMO) hardware).

Basically, I use a rebuildable genesis atomizer and they do require higher wattage, but with my evic, I barely get a whiff of vapor.

If anyone were to decrypt the firmware into a reversible output, I doubt one would remove the puff counter. However if I can decrypt it, I'm planning to look at bugs like the freezing, the fact that it says "Not Atomizer Find" rather than "found," etc. If I make any progress I would definitely release it as a custom firmware that one could install onto his/her eVic.

If for anything else, i just want to see what is in there. I need something to occupy my time, haha. (Don't get laid by choice before anyone says anything, haha).

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Gl on this. Will love to see if this is doable.
If so and I get some time off, will be happy to jump in and do something about the interface.

Thank you! I am having a hard time finding what type of obfuscation was used. If I can't get past the obfuscation there's no chance of modifying or creating a custom firmware.

This is the first thing I thought of when they said there would be firmware updates. As an Android modder it made me a smile that they put out a mod that could be "hackable".

Its a matter of time, in this day and age, any popular product that can be hacked, will be hacked. How long it will take, I have no idea.

Aphex13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Wiesbaden, Germany
I know it's almost completely useless information, but the Ovale version of the eVic has it's own MVR software and firmware. I own the Joyetech version. I was able to upgrade the firmware using either MVR software version, and either firmware version. The only change it made was the boot logo. At least we know the logo is in the firmware file, and not hard coded to the device. I know it's just eye candy, but I think it would be nice to make my own logo somewhere down the road.

It looks like after MVR 1.2's release, the firmware will be packed with the MVR software in a single exe. Hopefully this won't complicate things too much.

I know it's almost completely useless information, but the Ovale version of the eVic has it's own MVR software and firmware. I own the Joyetech version. I was able to upgrade the firmware using either MVR software version, and either firmware version. The only change it made was the boot logo. At least we know the logo is in the firmware file, and not hard coded to the device. I know it's just eye candy, but I think it would be nice to make my own logo somewhere down the road.

It looks like after MVR 1.2's release, the firmware will be packed with the MVR software in a single exe. Hopefully this won't complicate things too much.

One of the owners of Ovale is Joyetech, so I can see why they have a branded firmware and pc software. The logo seems to be in the software since I am able to replace the Joyetech logo with the Ovale logo only by changing the firmware not the MVR software. Being that it is a low res image, it would fit on 64k firmware without a problem and still have plenty of room for the code.

I am not sure if knowing their is an image would make hacking the firmware easier. I am still trying everything I can to decrypt and disassemble the firmware which would be the easiest way to hack it. But if the decryption is strong, then it will be almost impossible to decrypt.

Other possibility is trying to hack it through the USB connection, trying to figure that out as well, if possible.

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
One of the owners of Ovale is Joyetech, so I can see why they have a branded firmware and pc software. The logo seems to be in the software since I am able to replace the Joyetech logo with the Ovale logo only by changing the firmware not the MVR software. Being that it is a low res image, it would fit on 64k firmware without a problem and still have plenty of room for the code.

I am not sure if knowing their is an image would make hacking the firmware easier. I am still trying everything I can to decrypt and disassemble the firmware which would be the easiest way to hack it. But if the decryption is strong, then it will be almost impossible to decrypt.

Other possibility is trying to hack it through the USB connection, trying to figure that out as well, if possible.

Sniffing the USB connection may be our only option. I have had zero luck deobfuscating th file. Most deobfuscators and disassemblers won't even open it because it's a BIN file.

bitterskittles

Jan 14, 2013
Ireland
That reviewed 'Burssaro' ( or whatever his name is) on YouTube hooked it up to ossiliscope, noticed pulsing, tells me that it is pulsing to look for data changes- but, thats just my opinion.

This reviewer thinks that the pediodic pulse could be something used to detect the presence of an atomizer attached to the unit.
JoyeTech eVic Full Review v1.1 - YouTube (starts at 26:15)

TimmyB5286

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Ohio

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm interested in this thread.

One thing I can say is that the Evic itself seems 'Buggy'

Last week I hooked up my Evic to the comp. and the MVR. The MVR said that on Dec. 28th 2012 there were 15 puffs taken on that day. But I know that this is impossible because during that time the Evic was in shipment from China and I recieved the kit on Jan 7th.

But it could just be an error on my end...meaning that maybe the Evic was set to that day when I recieved it and I was trying it out before I went through and set the proper date and time. I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Another thing is, I don't hook it up to the computer that often. Maybe once every two weeks. The last couple of times I hooked it up my comp. it doesn't recognize it. I says 'hardware not found'. So I go and reinstall the MVR and then it works. And it still has all my previous saved data from before. So it could just be my comp. and not the Evic. Anyways this is why I say it 'seems' buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread