Heat Treatment/Torching to Color Stainless Steel and Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

cjxxvi

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
C:\
No I have not tried that and I don't think an oven will get anywhere near hot enough , unless you have a crematorium oven , lol , you have to hit them with some serious heat , like glowing red heat. Here are a few more I have done , I just love the way they come out , I think I will hold a contest for one this month so check it out .
View attachment 331221 View attachment 331222 View attachment 331223 View attachment 331224
i mean like this guy did. starting 22 mins.
Look here

Last edited:

Cw Hink

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Hale Center, Tx
I've seen that vid, Vapant. if I had a titanium mod, I would definitely try that. Seems much easier than aluminum anodizing.

I found another pic of the new nemesis mod. From what I gather, this uniform color is from some kind of heat treatment in a kiln or oven. Temperature or length of time in the oven seem to determine the color. For instance, you might put parts in there until they just barely glow for a second then take them out and they would be uniform blue every time that way.

32382_127850867406601_1271135863_n.jpg

i wonder if you could put a stainless steel tube in the oven and it would work like this?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I read this in the youtube comments on a torching video, any validity to that?

Hexavalent Chromium is Real. And it is Bad News.

But when talking about Toxicity, one Always has to consider TWO Factors. Dosage and Frequency.

A person who Welds for a Living should be Very Concerned about ALL Welding Fumes when Metal Alloys are Raised to High or Molten Temperatures.

Because a Single Dosage may be Small, but the Frequency for them is High.

As to Hexavalent Chromium Exposure once the SS returns to Room Temperatures, I have not been able to find much that shows that Cr(VI) can be enter the Body unless you Grind/Sand Parts. And Once Again, there is the Dosage / Frequency consideration.

But I am not Expert in this Field. So one should do some research on their Own instead of taking my Word for it.

Yotdawglife

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
Maui, Hawaii
Hexavalent Chromium is Real. And it is Bad News.

But when talking about Toxicity, one Always has to consider TWO Factors. Dosage and Frequency.

A person who Welds for a Living should be Very Concerned about ALL Welding Fumes when Metal Alloys are Raised to High or Molten Temperatures.

Because a Single Dosage may be Small, but the Frequency for them is High.

As to Hexavalent Chromium Exposure once the SS returns to Room Temperatures, I have not been able to find much that shows that Cr(VI) can be enter the Body unless you Grind/Sand Parts. And Once Again, there is the Dosage / Frequency consideration.

But I am not Expert in this Field. So one should do some research on their Own instead of taking my Word for it.

Thank you, I do appreciate your response and I like the cosmetic look of the mod, but this whole idea of releasing dangerous free radicals during and possibly after is not something I would like to do.

NEDIII

Aug 27, 2014
McAllen, tx, USA
I like to go past gold but I can do a nice gold one too , here is one I did awhile ago , and one launcher the other day
All what you like , I like to do the atomizers too , nice change so you don't have the same one as everyone else , and you get a lot of where did you get that questions , good luck hope you find one you like
View attachment 330194 View attachment 330197 View attachment 330198 View attachment 330199 View attachment 330200

I have an omega top cap I've been trying to torch but I cant get that blue color out of it.

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
I've never used the oven but no I am positive it won't. A good cleansing would do wonders for conductivity afterwards though because you will build up oxidation. Alcohol and a rag would be okay by itself but a brisk sanding first (the threads) with anything abrasive would be ideal. Just be delicate with your newly baked finish.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread