Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
This is just me thinking out loud...... I was thinking that at least some of the color change from e-liquid was from the nicotine oxidizing......

With all the rage of putting our 100mg nic in the freezer for storage, I was thinking that all that intense heat from this "atomic steeping" may reduce the nic's potency... :)

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
PG's boiling point is 370 degrees Fahrenheit. VG's boiling point is over 550 degrees Fahrenheit. So it is possible to create some incredibly hot liquid in the microwave- FAR hotter than any water based liquid. Please be careful here, folks! :blink:

I want to try this with some tobacco recipes before adding the nicotine. I am intrigued with the findings so far. :)

I followed the other thread when it was started and have been waiting for this one. I'm with you JD as far as exercising caution here people.

I have no issue with this method, I have actually used a modified shorter version to hasten samples along. Additionally, the "modernist cuisine" or "molecular gastronomy" trend in the culinary world incorporates microwaves for a few purposes and there are some sound principles going on in your technique. It is questionable that the sugars are caramelizing using a microwave, the product just isn't getting to the proper temperature for long enough to cause the sugars to caramelize.

Ultimately it sounds to me like another progressive steeping method that may prove valuable to some, and will have a multitude of naysayers . I'm a throw it in the steep box person that uses some hot water baths to help mix. No ultrasonic or crock pot (I just don't have them or I'd try them...) and I just don't have time...

HOWEVER (ya'll knew that was coming)...However, Visus (and I'm NOT bashing you at all or the method) I personally feel from using microwaves professionally that you should provide a huge, HUGE, bigger disclaimer and warning than you already have in your original post about the potential danger. My biggest concern is absolute newbs may throw their juice into a microwave and shake or move the bottle while removing it and have scalding hot pg/vg erupt while looking into the bottle. People don't always read posts or threads all the way through etc... etc...I'll get off my soapbox. Just my to cents, I'm supportive and hope I didn't offend. Just trying to avoid liability.

:toast:

Reactions: Bigdaddi

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I followed the other thread when it was started and have been waiting for this one. I'm with you JD as far as exercising caution here people.

I have no issue with this method, I have actually used a modified shorter version to hasten samples along. Additionally, the "modernist cuisine" or "molecular gastronomy" trend in the culinary world incorporates microwaves for a few purposes and there are some sound principles going on in your technique. It is questionable that the sugars are caramelizing using a microwave, the product just isn't getting to the proper temperature for long enough to cause the sugars to caramelize.

Ultimately it sounds to me like another progressive steeping method that may prove valuable to some, and will have a multitude of naysayers . I'm a throw it in the steep box person that uses some hot water baths to help mix. No ultrasonic or crock pot (I just don't have them or I'd try them...) and I just don't have time...

HOWEVER (ya'll knew that was coming)...However, Visus (and I'm NOT bashing you at all or the method) I personally feel from using microwaves professionally that you should provide a huge, HUGE, bigger disclaimer and warning than you already have in your original post about the potential danger. My biggest concern is absolute newbs may throw their juice into a microwave and shake or move the bottle while removing it and have scalding hot pg/vg erupt while looking into the bottle. People don't always read posts or threads all the way through etc... etc...I'll get off my soapbox. Just my to cents, I'm supportive and hope I didn't offend. Just trying to avoid liability.

ECF covers the DIY disclaimer very well

READ THIS POST BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY E-LIQUID PROCEDURES

All DIY procedures are done at your own risk.

It is that hot, I must say, yes, yes it is..
I will post huge douche extra warning lol

It is that rewarding I must say unbelievably so it is..

Vaping the 555 all day long, it has progressed into I cannot stop vaping it, Im tickled by how much I like it, its only a day after mixing 27 hours old:vapor: :D..

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I have made a few changes to the original timings and the part about taking it out, I now leave it in the whole time and do 4-6 pulses 2-3 min wait in between until it smokes. I have found this is the point of awesome..:D

I leave it in there about 10 min after final heat pulse, take it out cap it tight give it a good light shake while its warm not hot, leave a loosened cap and leave it to sit for 5-24+ hours. There's something about adding a lil bit of oxygen to it that brightens the final flavor. No worries about your nic losing potency from the shaking(adding oxygen) or the heating it will be fine..

Awesomeness is then applied in those 24 resting hours by the magic bunnies that visit and if you wait 36-48 hours, well it gets visited by santa himself who then makes sure it is perfect lol...

Talon its gonna be awesome in 24 hours good after 5 but 24 is the magic beans sprouting time...

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Just tried capella's new taste for me flavors and they are awesome.

Upon first taste oh boy horrible, baby asprin, butter nasty popcorn, and in the package powdery cooking brownie mix now after a 48 hour steep after hot mixing; the NY cheesecake is delectable, the sweet tangerine is a soda pop, and the chocolate fudge brownie not without a hint of coffee is the best chewy brownie ever..

Another success and I close the experiment as a success also burned the crap out of my hand but live and learn lol..

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Crickets in here

lol

Its been one week the 555 I made in the tutorial is one week old and taste like a good 4 month steeper.. I have a 4 monther naturally aged they are almost identical with the win going to the heated 555.. The heated M type is so good I don't even wanna talk about it cause I am buying all the juice flavoring futures, you guys get none lol...

Other flavors of course are awesome as well.. Those on the fence about it just give it a try you will be glad ya did as an experiment or new found tool in the bag..

I almost forgot I am a TFA Dbl RY4 complete snob, I usually vape at 3 weeks 8% and 3 months 5% holding out finishing it for 6 months for the OMG level of Dbl RY4 well haha its 5 days old and blows my 6 month batches completely out the water.. Its so good it took my taste buds a few vapes to categorize it to my brain, I am not kidding it was sensory overload and almost tasteless for a few vapes saddened @ fail I put it down came back to it and wham.. Vaping it right now and wow..

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Have you measured the temp inside the liquid with this method? I heated approx 10 ml for 5 seconds in a 1000 watt microwave. The temp inside reached 180 degrees on the second try - a bit too high I believe.... On the dble RY4, were you getting a chemical taste right after mixing? I am getting this taste even after a month of steeping - mixed at 6%... I may have to nuke it to see if it helps.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
The temps I have not measured IDK microwaves will heat to a certain point and thats it, it will just keep it there.

6% nuke it and try it in a week are you sure your percentages are correct? 6% is a low baller for almost tasteless when first mixed dbl ry4.

It takes 3 weeks at least to gain a noticeable flavor and it builds from that point when naturally steeped and thats 8%.
Meh' each difference, but this is the common among us RY4 snobs..

Thinking about it, you may have the golden dbl ry4 flavor vial and its uber strong, I just had a weaker vial of it last month so weak i had to call TPA lol, but this months vial is uber strong back to the norm per se' but it seems a tidbit stronger..

:vapor:

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
My dble RY4 must be either from a bad batch or from an extremely concentrated sample. Either way the main flavor is coming through at 6% except for the chemical taste. If nuking doesn't work, I will have to order a new batch to see if it makes a difference. I love this flavor (minus the chem of course.)

As for microwaves keeping a constant temp inside the liquid, IDK if that is exactly correct. As long as the device is on, the temp will keep rising. BTW, did you mention you heated the liquid so far that it started evaporating? Please tell me it ain't so ..... :)

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I heat until it start to smoke my timings have been 25 and 20 secs for 30ml yes they lose less than a cc of liquid.

Before ya starts on the over heating this or that. I am very familiar with microwaves heating and how it does what it does lol some other experiments with smokables lol.. heres some info for the chemicals will start to form this or that. I've done my research rfol and taste do not tell tales..

Food and cookware taken out of a microwave oven is rarely much hotter than 100 °C (212 °F). Cookware used in a microwave oven is often much cooler than the food because the microwaves heat the food directly and the cookware is heated by the food. Food and cookware from a conventional oven, on the other hand, are the same temperature as the rest of the oven; a typical cooking temperature is 180 °C (360 °F). That means that conventional stoves and ovens can cause more serious burns.

The lower temperature of cooking (the boiling point of water) is a significant safety benefit compared to baking in the oven or frying, because it eliminates the formation of tars and char, which are carcinogenic. Microwave radiation also penetrates deeper than direct heat, so that the food is heated by its own internal water content. In contrast, direct heat can fry the surface while the inside is still cold. Pre-heating the food in a microwave oven before putting it into the grill or pan reduces the time needed to heat up the food and reduces the formation of carcinogenic char.

BTW the crockpot cooks hotter than the microwave at its lowest setting..

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I believe your method works, but you shouldn't get defensive if someone mentions a possible problem with over heating. It's a potential problem whatever you use - micro, conventional, crock-pot etc. And despite what you say, a microwave does not keep the liquid at a constant temp. If that is the case, then why can't we let the microwave run for 30 minutes at 150 degrees? I have tested this myself with thermometers and the temp keeps going up all the way until the cycle ends - and a bit thereafter. I personally do not want my juice to reach a boiling point no matter how good it tastes....Just my 2cents.

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I heat until it start to smoke my timings have been 25 and 20 secs for 30ml yes they lose less than a cc of liquid.

Before ya starts on the over heating this or that. I am very familiar with microwaves heating and how it does what it does lol some other experiments with smokables lol.. heres some info for the chemicals will start to form this or that. I've done my research rfol and taste do not tell tales..

Food and cookware taken out of a microwave oven is rarely much hotter than 100 °C (212 °F). Cookware used in a microwave oven is often much cooler than the food because the microwaves heat the food directly and the cookware is heated by the food. Food and cookware from a conventional oven, on the other hand, are the same temperature as the rest of the oven; a typical cooking temperature is 180 °C (360 °F). That means that conventional stoves and ovens can cause more serious burns.

The lower temperature of cooking (the boiling point of water) is a significant safety benefit compared to baking in the oven or frying, because it eliminates the formation of tars and char, which are carcinogenic. Microwave radiation also penetrates deeper than direct heat, so that the food is heated by its own internal water content. In contrast, direct heat can fry the surface while the inside is still cold. Pre-heating the food in a microwave oven before putting it into the grill or pan reduces the time needed to heat up the food and reduces the formation of carcinogenic char.

BTW the crockpot cooks hotter than the microwave at its lowest setting..

When we heat food in microwave we heat water. When we heat juice we heat other liquids – PG and VG. I have no idea how different their molecules interact with waves, but it should be some difference. So, PG+VG can be hotter than water, or colder than water…

In addition water evaporates at 100C and it helps keep temperature lower; temperature of evaporation of PG and VG is much higher.

nopoison

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Columbus, OH
Thanks Visus for sharing your findings. I've been vaping for over a year now and have pretty well worked my way up from cigalikes to sub-ohm vaping. I finally decided to take the plunge and just received my first DIY juice order today. Coincidentally my first flavorings are three TFA's: RY4, Caramel, Strawberries and Cream. I will get some glass bottles and try your method this weekend. Any suggestions or advice on these flavorings and % to use are welcome! Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you stated that fruity flavors do not need this type of steeping but maybe strawberry was an exception? Excited to be a juice master in training! :)

lirruping

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Vieques
Was just reading through this thread--very interesting and cool technique, Visus!

Someone near the beginning mentioned the possibility of "caramelization" of sugars in the liquid lending a "burnt toffee" taste. AFAIK (and as has been said here already), there are no "regular" sugars in the usual non-organic DIY flavorings.

It occurred to me, however, that VG is a polyol, a "sugar alcohol", and that there may be a possibility of some kind of caramelization process with heating it. (I have certainly experienced that burnt toffee flavor--although its causes could be many and totally unrelated to heating, I suppose.

The only information I have found on the caramelization of VG so far has been a few unsubstantiated remarks in sites about sugar along the lines that "sugar alcohols do not caramelize easily or well..." --the implication being that they can and do caramelize. Chemist in the house?

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You could try asking, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/202649/regal55.html, he professes to be a chemist.

Was just reading through this thread--very interesting and cool technique, Visus!

Someone near the beginning mentioned the possibility of "caramelization" of sugars in the liquid lending a "burnt toffee" taste. AFAIK (and as has been said here already), there are no "regular" sugars in the usual non-organic DIY flavorings.

It occurred to me, however, that VG is a polyol, a "sugar alcohol", and that there may be a possibility of some kind of caramelization process with heating it. (I have certainly experienced that burnt toffee flavor--although its causes could be many and totally unrelated to heating, I suppose.

The only information I have found on the caramelization of VG so far has been a few unsubstantiated remarks in sites about sugar along the lines that "sugar alcohols do not caramelize easily or well..." --the implication being that they can and do caramelize. Chemist in the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread