Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
You guys helped me quit smoking seven years ago. The ECF community is amazing, but you know that or you wouldn't be here. Have you ever quit vaping? How did you do it?

I've tried cutting down nicotine, and going way up on nicotine. I like to chain vape. I love the flavor of vaping. Zero nicotine I won't use. I bought nicotine gum yesterday and it made me feel like vaping ;)

I had a wake up call. I posted a thread called Hacking Up A Lung with High VG Juices. I picture my lungs coated with vegetable oil. My doc said lung and heart doctors are now just starting to find out that vaping is as bad for as smoking is.

Hacking up phlegm is the wake up call I needed. It's been great vaping for seven years, but it's time to quit.

Reactions: redeuce

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Sounds like more of a hobby than needing the nic. Like any hobby, you have to find another hobby to replace it.
Good point. I never thought of that. Now I'll have to not vape while I crochet ;) and maybe get another hobby. Mindfulness meditation?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well if you still enjoy nic, and vaping isn't working for you, maybe the patch might work out better? I imagine stopping vaping may be similar to quitting smoking, but there are folks on the board that have done it. A lot of them just slowly work themselves down to 0 nic (taper can go as rapid or as slow as you desire) then put it away. You may find that vaping was more powerful than you thought, and you may struggle a bit. I'd say the biggest issue may be a relapse into smoking during a stressful moment.

Did your doc cite any studies for you, in order to back up those claims? Doctors are as susceptible to poor science as many people are (at least, docs that aren't super clever and have remained on top of what they were taught regarding research in med school-- hopefully). With that said, I certainly don't want to contradict or undermine your doctor's recommendation, though I do find that docs are human beings like the rest of us, some are better at their jobs than others. I wish you could see my doc that vapes, I really trust his recommendations and he keeps a sharp eye on the research. My feeling is he might give you a different answer than your doc, and he's great for asking questions such as these. I don't trust him *merely* because he vapes, he's just an excellent doc. He indicated that nicotine is not harmless, there is a slight amount of risk you take with vascular and cardiac issues. He's not a big believer in lung function worsening via vape, provided you aren't sensitive to any ingredients in your e-juice.

With that said, you have to do what's best for you, and good luck! OMG don't mindfully meditate the first little while whatever you do, LOL. I think I'd find my mindful meditation travelling more and more toward the idea of vaping. But overall, it's a good practice. I knit and sew, and that helps me with not chain vaping or during long, boring meetings, etc....

Anna

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
As it is with quitting smoking, quitting vaping is very simple. I do it every time I take the drip tip from my lips. It is the not starting again that is hard. While that sounds (and is) sarcastic, it is actually quite true. That will power to not light up a smoke or hit the power button on your vape is entirely up to the individual. Dropping nic levels and/or restricting frequency work well for many leading up to quitting, but that final step is always there. It sounds to me like you are at that final step, so just go for it.

My doc said lung and heart doctors are now just starting to find out that vaping is as bad for as smoking is.

Putting aside my personal beliefs, all I'll say about that is if that gives you that final push in willpower to success in that final step, your doc did his job!

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Well if you still enjoy nic, and vaping isn't working for you, maybe the patch might work out better? I imagine stopping vaping may be similar to quitting smoking, but there are folks on the board that have done it. A lot of them just slowly work themselves down to 0 nic (taper can go as rapid or as slow as you desire) then put it away. You may find that vaping was more powerful than you thought, and you may struggle a bit. I'd say the biggest issue may be a relapse into smoking during a stressful moment.

Did your doc cite any studies for you, in order to back up those claims? Doctors are as susceptible to poor science as many people are (at least, docs that aren't super clever and have remained on top of what they were taught regarding research in med school-- hopefully). With that said, I certainly don't want to contradict or undermine your doctor's recommendation, though I do find that docs are human beings like the rest of us, some are better at their jobs than others. I wish you could see my doc that vapes, I really trust his recommendations and he keeps a sharp eye on the research. My feeling is he might give you a different answer than your doc, and he's great for asking questions such as these. I don't trust him *merely* because he vapes, he's just an excellent doc. He indicated that nicotine is not harmless, there is a slight amount of risk you take with vascular and cardiac issues. He's not a big believer in lung function worsening via vape, provided you aren't sensitive to any ingredients in your e-juice.

With that said, you have to do what's best for you, and good luck! OMG don't mindfully meditate the first little while whatever you do, LOL. I think I'd find my mindful meditation travelling more and more toward the idea of vaping. But overall, it's a good practice. I knit and sew, and that helps me with not chain vaping or during long, boring meetings, etc....

Anna
I've heard alot of times already that nicotine is NOT cancerous and considered like caffeine (can't remember the name.....) Vaping has plenty of research done too and the UK stated already that vaping is 95% safer than smoking, and after all it's a "harm reduction" it's not meant to be 100% safe,but i honestly doubt Op's doc did any research at all they probably did like you said and went with what they knew from med school. But ever since vaping went into public scene i sure haven't heard of a single vaping related death,which imo is a good sign. If i ever need to quit vaping for any reason i feel like it's easier than quitting smoking (considering nicotine is addictive but not as much as the hand to mouth action to me). Everyone's different and our bodies don't react the same way,it's only natural that vaping dosen't work for some just like patches and medication don't work for others.

All i'll add is that i've never felt better than since i stopped smoking,my taste and smelling are coming slowly and i feel great even whilst chain vaping.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd also add that as we progress, we may see vapers dying. It may be due to former smoking for many years, or it may simply be due to old age, etc. I haven't seen vaping listed as a cause of death anyplace, and I'd like to think our negative media may have jumped all over it, if it were really *proven* that vaping, alone, was the cause of someone's death (exempting battery issues or sub0hmers driving in the car with their windows up, or whatnot). Though I haven't really seen that in the media either, though they do love battery explosions....

The bottom line is, we won't know any long term data on vaping until it gets to the point of longitudinal studies of cohorts that were vaping for many decades, like smokers. So, it's still a "harm reduction" not a "harm elimination" product, and whether the research is showing positive or negative (it does seem that a lot of well-designed research does BOLSTER the harm reduction argument) no one should be vaping if they feel it is causing them harm. Period.

That's kind of the only thing we have to TRULY go by, our own experience and what research is there, and if you are starting to have problems with vaping AND your doc is giving you this information, I might make the same choice (although I really would try to manipulate what is in my vape, first) and you have every right to make that choice, if it's the right one for you, and it feels right.

So, I am just going to wish you the best of luck in your efforts, and I really hope that you can find something that works for you to help you transition. Just like smoking, sometimes nic replacement of whatever sort (same kind of thing as a vaping taper) may help, as you do take "steps" off the nicotine. I might invest in some coffee stirrers, straws, and cinnamon sticks to chew on (those are the best for that hand to mouth, need a flavor thing, that I've found, when attempting quitting before) and to help you with hand to mouth.

I wish you the best of luck!

Anna

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Dangit! I wasn't gonna, but.......

I'd also add that as we progress, we may see vapers dying. It may be due to former smoking for many years, or it may simply be due to old age, etc. I haven't seen vaping listed as a cause of death anyplace, and I'd like to think our negative media may have jumped all over it, if it were really *proven* that vaping, alone, was the cause of someone's death (exempting battery issues or sub0hmers driving in the car with their windows up, or whatnot).

That is a really loaded paragraph, Anna! So I will take it slow, one line at a time:

"I'd also add that as we progress, we may see vapers dying." Without a doubt, we will soon see vapers dying. There are probably some already, but not enough to make waves or generate concern.

"It may be due to former smoking for many years, or it may simply be due to old age, etc. I haven't seen vaping listed as a cause of death anyplace..." I had to chuckle about the "old age" part. I saw a report this morning extoling the reduction in homeless veterans and wondered what impact those "reaching the finish line" may have played? Even before vaping, how many smokers, former smokers, or those exposed to smoke had their deaths erroneously contributed to smoking? My dad, who quit smoking in his mid 20's, died at the age of 78 from a heart attack while undergoing chemo therapy. Yet we, non-medical professionals, were asked if "smoking contributed to his death", supposedly a box on some form that needed to be checked or not. I can only guess what form that was and for what use?

"and I'd like to think our negative media may have jumped all over it, if it were really *proven* that vaping, alone, was the cause of someone's death..." In case I haven't made my point yet, be it smoking or vaping, can it be proven that XXX was the lone cause of one's demise? My dad and both his brothers died from heart failure. I, having already experienced a heart attack, smoked for 40+ years and been vaping for over 3. Should I succumb to heart failure, which do you think will be deemed the cause? Smoking, vaping, a combination of both, genetics, or just plain growing old? Me thinks it will come down to which statistics need a boost at that time. Maybe it was just that molten lava cake with ice cream I at the day before.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, that was kind of my point, that causes of death aren't always easily and readily supplied, and given that many vapers smoked for a long time, it's going to be hard to say what the cause of death was, and that it would be hard to isolate it to vaping.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, that's why I mentioned that the only way to really study the issue would be a lengthy cohort study of vapers and never vapers, and even then there will most likely be former smokers within that cohort. What I was trying to say was that there aren't really deaths "known" to be attributable to vaping, and long-term research is going to be difficult. I'm sorry if my wording was confusing. I wouldn't consider someone who died at 78 through chemo after smoking briefly in youth could be considered a "smoking related death." And I'd hope you didn't list it as such. :( I mean, past a certain point, we have to accept that someone who dies of something 58 years after they quit smoking, I wouldn't consider that a "cause". IDK.

COPD death in a heavy smoker-- that's a bit easier to see a correlation, IMO, but again, you'd have to think of genetic susceptibilities as well. I don't do autopsies (thank goodness) so I have no idea what goes into that, and whatever, but I'd think the only way to study vaping well would be longitudinally, and over a long period of time. I am also not a designer of such matters, so I don't know everything that is involved or would play a role. I'd also say that the research isn't going to be PERFECT, but it would certainly perhaps give trends.

In no way did I mean to imply that vapers everywhere are dropping dead, just that we all will be at some point, and that the longer younger smokers start vaping and can be in a cohort of (almost) never smokers, the better the longitudinal research will be, as I think it is *somewhat* accepted that if a person has smoked very little and spent more time vaping, it will be easier to study effects over time. Should that massive study ever be undertaken, and I do hope it *will*.

I'm not meaning to imply that vaping hastens death in any way, and given the research I've seen so far, I'm going to guess that it doesn't-- at the very least compared to smoking-- but that's not a research driven point, and it cannot be, at this time, given that vaping hasn't been mainstream enough to see a lot of smokers making the switch though I'd think that now, we are seeing more vapers, generally. If vaping is allowed to freely propagate, I'd imagine a cohort study might be useful at some point, and I personally would love one.

Anna

Anna

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Put all your vape stuff in a shoe box, place shoe box in closet, find something else to occupy your time & something to fidget with to help with the hand to mouth habit.

If you like to vape, I'd give 50/50 2 weeks to see if it helps your problems.

Just me, I'd find doctors that are more in touch with reality, not just repeat what they're told to by vested interests.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I had a wake up call. I posted a thread called Hacking Up A Lung with High VG Juices. I picture my lungs coated with vegetable oil. My doc said lung and heart doctors are now just starting to find out that vaping is as bad for as smoking is.

Hacking up phlegm is the wake up call I needed. It's been great vaping for seven years, but it's time to quit.

I hope you just misunderstood your doc, but if that's what he said, you need a new doctor.

Medical science is not learning that vaping is as bad as smoking. What medical science is learning is whether vaping is harmful at all.

A good friend of mine quit smoking by vaping, then quit vaping earlier this year. Her method (as she put it) was to just stop buying vape stuff. I laughed, but she was serious.

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio
As it is with quitting smoking, quitting vaping is very simple. I do it every time I take the drip tip from my lips. It is the not starting again that is hard. While that sounds (and is) sarcastic, it is actually quite true. That will power to not light up a smoke or hit the power button on your vape is entirely up to the individual. Dropping nic levels and/or restricting frequency work well for many leading up to quitting, but that final step is always there. It sounds to me like you are at that final step, so just go for it.

Putting aside my personal beliefs, all I'll say about that is if that gives you that final push in willpower to success in that final step, your doc did his job!

Made me chuckle......I always told everybody I talked to that quitting smoking was easy. Did it dozens of times. The staying quit part was always a little bit more difficult. ;):)

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Well you won't lower your nic so you have some kind of addiction to nic. I do not believe nic is physically addictive, however, i do believe nic has positive effects that you may be drawn to that shouldn't be overlooked. I would advise you to do some research on positive side effects of nicotine. I think you will find your answer there because if lowering or taking away nic is a problem for you, then not vaping with nic is going to hold challenges that your going to have to get past. You just have to understand why that is. Do some research on positive side effects of nic...there you will find the 800lb gorrila standing in your way. Best of wishes to your journey.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
You need a new hobby, something that combines the sensory input and technical skills of vaping. Unfortunately, the only real choice is Top Fuel Drag Racing since it's the closest experience. Zero to clouds in 4.5 seconds translates directly into zero to 300 mph and soil your pants in 4.5 seconds with 10,000 horsepower barking at your rear! The tires will give off more clouds than an underachiever in a wife beater T shirt with his hat cocked sideways and mechanical mech. Rebuilding a coil isn't that much different than rebuilding a blown hemi. The only real difference it that top fuel drag racing tastes like crap. Yeah you aren't sucking on the exhaust (because you'd melt your head like in that scene from Raiders) but you can still taste the melted tires and burnt methane in the air.

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Well, that was kind of my point, that causes of death aren't always easily and readily supplied, and given that many vapers smoked for a long time, it's going to be hard to say what the cause of death was, and that it would be hard to isolate it to vaping.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, that's why I mentioned that the only way to really study the issue would be a lengthy cohort study of vapers and never vapers, and even then there will most likely be former smokers within that cohort. What I was trying to say was that there aren't really deaths "known" to be attributable to vaping, and long-term research is going to be difficult. I'm sorry if my wording was confusing. I wouldn't consider someone who died at 78 through chemo after smoking briefly in youth could be considered a "smoking related death." And I'd hope you didn't list it as such. :( I mean, past a certain point, we have to accept that someone who dies of something 58 years after they quit smoking, I wouldn't consider that a "cause". IDK.

COPD death in a heavy smoker-- that's a bit easier to see a correlation, IMO, but again, you'd have to think of genetic susceptibilities as well. I don't do autopsies (thank goodness) so I have no idea what goes into that, and whatever, but I'd think the only way to study vaping well would be longitudinally, and over a long period of time. I am also not a designer of such matters, so I don't know everything that is involved or would play a role. I'd also say that the research isn't going to be PERFECT, but it would certainly perhaps give trends.

In no way did I mean to imply that vapers everywhere are dropping dead, just that we all will be at some point, and that the longer younger smokers start vaping and can be in a cohort of (almost) never smokers, the better the longitudinal research will be, as I think it is *somewhat* accepted that if a person has smoked very little and spent more time vaping, it will be easier to study effects over time. Should that massive study ever be undertaken, and I do hope it *will*.

I'm not meaning to imply that vaping hastens death in any way, and given the research I've seen so far, I'm going to guess that it doesn't-- at the very least compared to smoking-- but that's not a research driven point, and it cannot be, at this time, given that vaping hasn't been mainstream enough to see a lot of smokers making the switch though I'd think that now, we are seeing more vapers, generally. If vaping is allowed to freely propagate, I'd imagine a cohort study might be useful at some point, and I personally would love one.

Anna

Anna

Oh, my! I am the one who should be sorry for not being clear! By referring to your paragraph as "loaded", I meant it contained a lot of information that could be discussed to a lot of levels, information that I agree with so wanted to expand on. I guess I did kind of poke you about "we may see vapers dying", but it was meant in jest. I knew what you meant. Sorry!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
You need a new hobby, something that combines the sensory input and technical skills of vaping. Unfortunately, the only real choice is Top Fuel Drag Racing since it's the closest experience. Zero to clouds in 4.5 seconds translates directly into zero to 300 mph and soil your pants in 4.5 seconds with 10,000 horsepower barking at your rear! The tires will give off more clouds than an underachiever in a wife beater T shirt with his hat cocked sideways and mechanical mech. Rebuilding a coil isn't that much different than rebuilding a blown hemi. The only real difference it that top fuel drag racing tastes like crap. Yeah you aren't sucking on the exhaust (because you'd melt your head like in that scene from Raiders) but you can still taste the melted tires and burnt methane in the air.

Hey, hey hey... I look darn good in a wife beater.. even at my age. (My husband says my around the house wife beaters are his favorite shirts) Hahaha.. so don't go knocking wife beaters!

:lol: :lol: :w00t:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'll refrain from commenting on your doctor's uninformed opinions, other than to say my doctor vehemently disagrees. (I'm one whose health improved exponentially through vaping and giving up the smokes... and we have medical proof to the fact vaping saves lives, not vice versa)

That said, you want to quit vaping. This is a legitimate desire as we are finally away from the addiction to cigarettes and by giving up vaping we are finally 100% free, and can leave the past in the past.

I have quit vaping twice.

The first foray into putting down the vape was done a bit in ignorance of myself - it's important if you go to quit that you know yourself very well.

I thought I was ready to stop vaping for good after being off the smokes for a year and I thought that throwing everything vape related away would remove the temptation to pick the vape back up, but this wasn't right for me, obviously as I was back to smoking very fast.

I ended up buying all my vape gear again, and went through another quit smoking period. That was harder to do the second time than it was the first let me tell you..

Later, I tried quitting vaping again, and that time was successful for about 5 months. Never returned to smoking, just a successful quit until one day I decided I had a hankering for my vape, so I got my gear out of my box and had me a vape. That was several months ago at this point. But at least that time I didn't go back to smoking.

Thing is, you might not be successful the first try. I know with me I smoked for 32 years of my life, two packs a day as long as I can remember. Not one day of my adult life prior to vaping was spent without a cigarette in my hand. The habit of having something in my hand is a very powerful thing for me.

Your probably not much different. Your simply going to have to do what YOU think will make you most successful. We are all different people, and what works for you might not work for another, and vice versa.

It's mainly the hand to mouth habit, that, and you need as far away from nicotine as possible, as that is a trigger for you to desire to vape. So, hide your vape gear, put it in a box under your bed the day you decide your done, and find something else to do with your hands.

I kept a water bottle where I keep my vape, and took a sip of water instead of a vape. I exercised more, and generally kept myself occupied. I stayed away from the triggers to mindless vaping (which used to be my triggers to mindless smoking) especially in the beginning of my quit.

And, I just quit.. walked away. I stayed off the forum because talking about vaping made me want to vape.. stayed away from digital art as that was a mindless trigger for vaping for a month or so. Occupied myself otherwise.

Worked for 5 months last time.. and I did like being completely free. Next time, I hope is permanent.

But, all I can say is what I said, do what works for you, and know yourself. Know what triggers you to want to vape, look for things to occupy your hands when sitting (mine was a water bottle, and more marital time in the mornings) and find other things to occupy your time, clean your house more, exercise more etc. Attack that closet you've neglected.. etc.

Some day, you will find, you don't miss it much. As time wears on, you think of it less and less.. but I warn you those are the times you should be most on your guard, because it's that sneaking hankering you weren't expecting that will get you.

Last edited:

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
I'll refrain from commenting on your doctor's uninformed opinions, other than to say my doctor vehemently disagrees. (I'm one whose health improved exponentially through vaping and giving up the smokes... and we have medical proof to the fact vaping saves lives, not vice versa)

That said, you want to quit vaping. This is a legitimate desire as we are finally away from the addiction to cigarettes and by giving up vaping we are finally 100% free, and can leave the past in the past.

The first foray into putting down the vape was done a bit in ignorance of myself - it's important if you go to quit that you know yourself very well.

I thought I was ready to stop vaping for good after being off the smokes for a year and I thought that throwing everything vape related away would remove the temptation to pick the vape back up, but this wasn't right for me, obviously as I was back to smoking very fast.

I ended up buying all my vape gear again, and went through another quit smoking period. That was harder to do the second time than it was the first let me tell you..

Later, I tried quitting vaping again, and that time was successful for about 5 months. Never returned to smoking, just a successful quit until one day I decided I had a hankering for my vape, so I got my gear out of my box and had me a vape. That was several months ago at this point. But at least that time I didn't go back to smoking.

Thing is, you might not be successful the first try. I know with me I smoked for 32 years of my life, two packs a day as long as I can remember. Not one day of my adult life prior to vaping was spent without a cigarette in my hand. The habit of having something in my hand is a very powerful thing for me.

Your probably not much different. Your simply going to have to do what YOU think will make you most successful. We are all different people, and what works for you might not work for another, and vice versa.

It's mainly the hand to mouth habit, that, and you need as far away from nicotine as possible, as that is a trigger for you to desire to vape. So, hide your vape gear, put it in a box under your bed the day you decide your done, and find something else to do with your hands.

I kept a water bottle where I keep my vape, and took a sip of water instead of a vape. I exercised more, and generally kept myself occupied. I stayed away from the triggers to mindless vaping (which used to be my triggers to mindless smoking) especially in the beginning of my quit.

And, I just quit.. walked away. I stayed off the forum because talking about vaping made me want to vape.. stayed away from digital art as that was a mindless trigger for vaping for a month or so. Occupied myself otherwise.

Worked for 5 months last time.. and I did like being completely free. Next time, I hope is permanent.

But, all I can say is what I said, do what works for you, and know yourself. Know what triggers you to want to vape, look for things to occupy your hands when sitting (mine was a water bottle, and more marital time in the mornings) and find other things to occupy your time, clean your house more, exercise more etc. Attack that closet you've neglected.. etc.

Some day, you will find, you don't miss it much. As time wears on, you think of it less and less.. but I want you those are the times you should be most on your guard, because it's that sneaking hankering you weren't expecting that will get you.
Well said. You describe the urges well. With drinking, I just quit and never looked back. This is a different deal.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Some day, you will find, you don't miss it much. As time wears on, you think of it less and less.. but I want you those are the times you should be most on your guard, because it's that sneaking hankering you weren't expecting that will get you.
I could only like your post once Opinionated, so I'll add this:
JC_goodpost.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread