How does an ultasonic cleaner work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Ultrasonic cleaner's aren't intended for hastening the aging process, so you will not find a description that covers that. However, they can be used to achieve the aforementioned.
It's a combination of both heat and vibration, but mostly the vibration. Typically, an ultrasonic cleaner vibrates, causing the water in the tank to create waves. Those waves are what break apart dirt, grease, etc. When it comes to juice, the vibrations agitate the bubbles and juice in your bottle. As far as I know, that's all there is to it.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
:
So I've seen a bunch of people saying they use these to increase steep times, mostly DIYers. I tried to read up on them on product decriptions but Im still a bit lost.

How exactly does an ultrasonic cleaner work on juices? Is it heat or vibration or what exactly? Please give me the kiddy version as I'm no scientist lol.

Actually speed steeping is heat for a given period of time. About 4 hours at 150 degrees. Some variables like the type of mix can be factored in and some mixes like custards still need to "sit" for about a week after speed steeping. This "heat" may be obtained using a UC or a Crock Pot. And YES, Mike ran some blind tests to confirm this. See: Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part III | E-Cigarette Forum

Although not tested here on ECF, a rice cooker is also used to obtain the same results. The net net of heat for a given period of time is shortening the natural steeping of some juices: around two weeks to one month. A critical factor if you DIY and your mix requires steeping to reach full maturity. I don't have to wait a month for natural steeping to occur.

HTH

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bezo

kkiet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2015
Milwaukee, Wi
My recommendation would be to spend the ultra sonic money on a nice mod / battery's and make enough juice store it in a box in your drawer, shake it occasionally, when your coming up on next weeks juice start making more.The process might involve another week or two for tobacco / creams.
I agree with you on this, Just let it steep naturally.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
  • Steeping is the introduction of air (or oxygen) to eJucie.
  • This allows a process of oxidation to take place in the compounds that are in a state that will react to the introduction of oxygen.
  • The process of oxidation will produce oxides into the fluid, however these are not dangerous.
  • During the oxidation process, components that are more volatile evaporate out of the liquid. This can change the nature of the flavor of the eJuice.
Handheld eLiquid Mixer – Liquid Barn

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
It's a combination of both heat and vibration, but mostly the vibration. Typically, an ultrasonic cleaner vibrates, causing the water in the tank to create waves. Those waves are what break apart dirt, grease, etc. When it comes to juice, the vibrations agitate the bubbles and juice in your bottle. As far as I know, that's all there is to it.

What he said.

The sound waves produce cavitation (micro) bubbles that store energy inside them as they grow. They reach a point where the bubbles implode from this energy. The imploding cavitation bubble is what does the cleaning.

I have decided to limit any heat in my steeping to around 120F or so, a couple hours inside the hot car. IF that. Most all Pro mixer steep instructions call for Dark and Cool. Heat is already known to degrade Nic, I also suspect it even more easily degrades flavor.

I would change the Sonicator water at the point it starts to stray from Warm into Hot.

For grins, put a drop of food coloring into the Sonicator water and turn it on.

For fountain pen parts, I often make a dual Sonicator bath. Cleaning solution goes into a thin plastic Wendy's Frosty Cup (Discontinued), the parts in the cup too and the whole cup into the Sonicator. This greatly reduces the amount of cleaner used (just clean water in the Sonicator tank) and the sound waves go right through the Wendy's cup. I may toss a few quarters into the cup if it needs weighting down.)
Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bezo

Feb 9, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
My recommendation would be to spend the ultra sonic money on a nice mod / battery's and make enough juice store it in a box in your drawer, shake it occasionally, when your coming up on next weeks juice start making more.The process might involve another week or two for tobacco / creams.

I run and ipv mini and an ipv4s with 2 Lemo2s, a billow v2, original subtank, and just got a nixon dripper in yesterday along with by first round of DIY supplies. Once I get a recipe or 2 down I should be set. I just seen alot of talk about those machines and was curious as to how the work. Probably wont ever buy one tho.

ffrank

Aug 24, 2015
I run and ipv mini and an ipv4s with 2 Lemo2s, a billow v2, original subtank, and just got a nixon dripper in yesterday along with by first round of DIY supplies. Once I get a recipe or 2 down I should be set. I just seen alot of talk about those machines and was curious as to how the work. Probably wont ever buy one tho.

Congrats on the decision to make your own juice! I've been making juice for about 2 months and haven't bought any since. I would recommend using e-Liquid Calculator. You can add all of your flavors to your profile, and the site will list all the recipes you are able to make. It's very handy, and there are thousands of recipes. The users on the forum are very helpful too.

Homemade juice is so cheap. Typically a 30ml bottle costs anywhere from $1.50 to $4.00 depending on the number ingredients and nicotine strength. The site I mentioned can also tell you how much it's costing you to make a recipe.

Edit: How come the URL changes to http://www............. when I link to that site? I can link anywhere else but not there? BTW google e-liquid calculator and the first result is the site I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread