How many cigarettes does an E-Cig cartage equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Cool

Moved On
May 30, 2012
How many cigarettes does an E-Cig cartage equal? I read something like 15 to 20 Cigarettes BUT for me it seem to equal about 2 to 3 packs. I then got to thinking about it and realized I was smoking differently , I mean with a real cigarette you got burn time . I figure about one fourth of a cigarette just goes up in smoke never being smoked unless you are working then more like a third. Am I figuring right?

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Not exactly. A regular sized cartridge, like comes on a mini-cigarette style e-cig is equivalent to maybe 4-7 cigarettes.
Unscrupulous e-cig makers started that nonsense about a cartridge being equal to a pack of cigs.
It's a bald-faced lie.

You absorb about 98% of the nicotine in a cigarette drag.
With an e-cig, the absorption rate is somewhere on the order of 30-50%, depending on your technique.

wmjmr03

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2012
nuneaton uk
Good Question E-lites in uk sell 2 carty and say its equal to 80 fags ......geez that means im puffing away 120 fags a day i only had a 25 a day habit with analogs if it is equal that means i should have died 30 years ago as smoking analogs equvilent means i was puffing away 3360 a month that might have a small impact on my health

RyanRed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
California
Well. I cant speak about cartridges, but I can say coming off a pack of smokes a day I vape around 1.5ml of ejuice a day so far. But Im very new to vaping as well. This might increase. But I dont feel the need to smoke whatsoever. Nic cravings are satisfied with what I vape. Also note the Nic strength for Ive ordered is 24mg.

You might be able to compare that info with your cartridges depending how how much juice is in them.

Hope that helps. But as stated above, we all smoked differently, so its hard to say. :)

-Ryan

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
ok, this is a 2 fold question. first of all, many of the e cig companies say that their cartos is equal to a pack of cigs, thats a lie.

As far as puffs, I would say that a full 1ml carto is about 7-10 analogs depending on how you vape them. As far as nicotine, it depends on what level nic you get in your carto. The average analog delivers 1-2 mg of absorbed nicotine per cig depending on whether you smoke lights or regulars. When a carto has 18mg nicotine in it, that is how much nicotine is in the entire ml of juice in there, not how much you actually absorb. So you would have to absorb 100% of the nicotine in the juice to equal a pack of cigs, and you dont absorb that much.

Personally, I vape 12 mg juice when I wake up and 6 mg the rest of the day. One company that I called actually told me that a 6 mg carto is equal to the nicotine in a pack of light cigs. How is that possible. A pack of light cigs will give you about 20 mg of nicotine absorbed and a 6mg carto only has 6mg of nicotine in the entire thing. Its such a joke

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
There is a huge factor difference in how much nicotine we all absorb. I only need 6mg strength liquids. If I use 18mg I can only have 0.1ml of liquid a day or I will feel awful. I use 1 - 2ml of 6mg liquid instead.

On the other hand, I have seen some who use 32mg and up and more than 2ml a day of it. At the highest I've seen someone who uses 52mg so a normal cartridge would not be enough for them.

The way they worked out how many cigs are in the cartridges is totally wrong as it doesn't factor in absorption rate at all so it is impossible to say what it will equal for you.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
There are only 4 relevant factors to determining how many cigarettes a cartridge is equal to.
The quantity of juice in the cartridge.
The nic strength of that juice.
The percentage of nicotine absorbed per puff by the vaper in question.
The nicotine content of the cigarettes used for comparison.

The first two factors are easy enough to determine.
The second two are too variable and never specified by e-cig manufacturers, so any comparison is rendered pointless for that reason and that reason alone.
Other things may seem like they'd affect the calculation, but they really don't. The question isn't what effect one pack or one cartridge would have on the vaper/smoker, or whether nor not it would be enough to satisfy his urges. Only the one factor peculiar to the vaper, his absorption rate, has any bearing at all on whether or not a cartridge is equal to a certain number of analogs. All the other factors just indicate whether he would be satisfied or sickened by a given quantity of nicotine, whether delivered by vapor or smoke.

These factors might seem relevant, but they're not.
How much the vaper used to smoke.
The nicotine content of the particular cigs he used to smoke.
The vapers tolerance level to nicotine.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
There is a huge factor difference in how much nicotine we all absorb. I only need 6mg strength liquids. If I use 18mg I can only have 0.1ml of liquid a day or I will feel awful. I use 1 - 2ml of 6mg liquid instead.

On the other hand, I have seen some who use 32mg and up and more than 2ml a day of it. At the highest I've seen someone who uses 52mg so a normal cartridge would not be enough for them.

The way they worked out how many cigs are in the cartridges is totally wrong as it doesn't factor in absorption rate at all so it is impossible to say what it will equal for you.

You're seemingly confusing absorption rate with tolerance. If you had a very low absorption rate, you wouldn't feel awful using 1ml of 18mg a day, even though your tolerance level hasn't changed. If you had a higher absorption rate and the same tolerance level, you might feel awful with 1ml of 6mg.

The people who use 32 and 52mg might actually have exactly the same tolerance level, but far different absorption rates.

In the end, it doesn't matter when determining what a cartridge is equivalent to. When you're calculating that figure, you need to assume a certain "average" absorption rate. And you need to assume a particular nic content in the cigarettes you're using in your definition of a pack of cigarettes. Whether or not that amount is likely to satisfy any particular vaper or not is irrelevant.

What these companies probably do is count the entire nic content and compare it to some hypothetical pack of cigarettes. The absorption rate of vapers is somewhere around 30-50%, so right off the bat, they're overestimating by a factor of 100%. If your rate is 30%, they're off by a factor of over 300% and a cartridge may be equal to only 7 of their hypothetical cigarettes. If their hypothetical cigarettes are ultralights, then the number plunges even further and, if you smoke Marlboros, it may feel like 3 cigarettes to you.

That wouldn't mean they're lying by a factor of 7. They're free to choose any comparison cigarette they want for their hypothetical, but they need to spell it out if they expect someone to be able to estimate how many cartridges they'll need.

Last edited:

E Cool

Moved On
May 30, 2012
Not exactly. A regular sized cartridge, like comes on a mini-cigarette style e-cig is equivalent to maybe 4-7 cigarettes.
Unscrupulous e-cig makers started that nonsense about a cartridge being equal to a pack of cigs.
It's a bald-faced lie.

You absorb about 98% of the nicotine in a cigarette drag.
With an e-cig, the absorption rate is somewhere on the order of 30-50%, depending on your technique.

Well now that sure explains things as I suspected that the nicotine was lower than they stated on the package since though satisfying enough no nicotine kick , you know the kind that puts smiles on peoples faces.
Though I still think they are counting the burn time in their calculation in which for E-Cigs is like absolute zero since at least the type I got shut off when you are not puffing on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread