How much e juice equals a pack of cigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
You definition lacks one important variable. What is the nic concentration of your e-liquid?

I ignore nicotine concentration; after all, there are different strengths of cigarettes and the government doesn't tax based on that.

There is an undefined range of various nicotine amounts in tobacco cigarettes, especially depending on the brand and the strength. Since the government ignores it for tax purposes, so does my definition.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Check for the Etter writeup that came out a year or so back, published in a Swiss journal. ECF staff started a thread, titled something like "Surprise: E-Cigarettes do contain nicotine" I pulled a copy of that writeup, which had measured cotinine levels for experienced vapers using 18 mg/ml eliquid, and something like "5 refills/day", which I assumed, right or wrong, meant about 5 ml/day. Net, their levels were in line with smoker cotinine levels (Etter did another study, years back, measuring cotinine -- also available on the Web).

My takeaway was that the absorption from vaping is somewhere around the 20% level, about what you mention. Newer vapers may be a lower %, not skilled at good vaping technique, and we all know there may be variances due to the particular kit used (higher power consuming more eliquid, I'm not sure if things stay linear).

Rule of thumb from back when I started vaping was that a PAD smoker, full strength, would likely want to consume 3 - 4 ml of 24 mg/ml. 4 ml x 24 mg/ml x 0.2 (20% conversion) = 19 mg nominal absorbed, pretty close to what you would nominally get off of a pack of 1mg cigs.

Some people absolutely cut down, including some who do so quickly. Myself, I was happy to get rid of all the other junk from smoking, stayed with 3 + ml/day of 24 mg/ml for quite some time. When I switched to variable voltage, I pretty much instantaneously went to 6 ml/day consumption, consistently. After a few months there I wasn't seeing any bad effects, but chose to start reducing nic level. Nowadays I still vape 6 ml/day (stayed with the same family of devices, they just work for me), DIY my own eliquid at 8 - 10 mg/ml. I may drop to 6 mg next year, but don't have any burning need to :)

I'm not sure why that I have never been able to find any Definitive data on Nicotine Absorption Rates for e-Cigarettes? But I can tell you this.

Analogs Nicotine mg is rated as the Amount that the Average Smoker absorbs into their body when they smoke a given brand of cigarettes.

So if Brand X says that a Cigarette has 1mg of Nicotine, that means that if the Average Smoker smoked this cigarette they would Absorb 1mg of Nicotine into their body. And if this smoker smoked a Pack a Day, they would be Absorbing 20mg/day of Nicotine.

Whereas e-Liquids are measured by the Total amount of Nicotine in 1 Milliliter of Volume. Not what is absorbed. If a vaper vaped 5ml of 18mg e-Liquid in a day, they would be taking in 90mg/day.

How much of this Actually Absorbed? Numbers vary depending on who you take to. Clearly, much of the Nicotine is Exhaled in a normal hit in same way that Not all of the Oxygen is Absorbed when you breath in and breath out.

I'm of the Option that e-Cigarette Nicotine Absorption is around 20%~30%. But this is just my Opinion.

For more reading, you might Check Out these threads...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ette-vs-e-cigarette-nicotine-equivalency.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...312547-nicotine-absorption-contradiction.html

Limner

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
Western USA
First, congratulations on letting your body tell you how much to vape. Don't try to relate it to what you smoked. Many really smart people have spent a lot of time trying to figure out a direct relationship and usually conclude there isn't one… or at least there are too many variables to make a definition.

I ignore nicotine concentration; after all, there are different strengths of cigarettes and the government doesn't tax based on that. From observation here, I roughly define three milliliters of e-liquid, including three one milliliter cartos, is approximately equal to a pack of twenty tobacco cigarettes, and a thirty milliliter bottle of e-liquid is approximately equal to one carton of ten packs of cigarettes.

Your one EVOD tank (1.5 ml) equates to half a pack of cigarettes using my definition.

This is similar to what I give as a ballpark figure to people who ask me the same question, along with the same caveats.

My reasoning: I used to chain-smoke 2 1/2 packs of 100mm cigarettes a day; today I chain-vape 7 or 8 mils a day. My vaping habits are identical to my smoking habits, since I do/did both constantly.
If I use only an EVOD, I usually refill it five times between waking and going to bed. I go through 50 or so mils each week.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
There is an undefined range of various nicotine amounts in tobacco cigarettes, especially depending on the brand and the strength. Since the government ignores it for tax purposes, so does my definition.

Maybe I am missing it.

But what does Tax on Tobacco have to do with Any of this?

Ultra-X

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
Memphis, TN, USA
i was really worried early on. (today is day day 25 off analogs)
the numbers flying around on the web do NOT match up.

i did get a little light-headedness when i first did the 24mg, but i knew the 18mg would not do when i started
cuz the gas station disposables did not hold me.
(which is what forced me to order my kit and aim high!)
But now, i think i can handle my cravings at 18mg.

It's one of the "flaws" of the e-cig industry - as much as we vapor-ers like this, urban myth starting
on this point (among others) and untested stuff like this should be stopped.
(pffftt ... 18mg for a pack-a-day smoker ... lol, that smoker must be like not Bill Clinton and not inhaling!)

i averaged 7 to 8 cigs per day over my last year and a half (16 years smoking total). and when i started vaping, i have to vape 24mg juice to keep me from taking analog and even then, at times, i have to fight the urge to light one up! (i'd say i was probably vaping around 1.3 mL of juice per day for first 15 days or so at 24mg) Over this past week, i ordered two batches of 18mg juice and finally today, i've not had the mad urge to chain vape so badly throughout the day. My personal goal is to reduce nicotine intake ... not sure how low i will or want to go but it's just my goal and looks like step one after 2+ weeks, but probably believe it will get harder down the road. Not looking/considering of stopping vaping altogether - yet.

my overall suggestion:
1. Just think of vaping as a hobby first and foremost to make SURE you are off the analogs.
2. Do the juice hunt like it would seem most people do.
3. And look at equipment (even if you can't really budget it) cuz you never will know when you all of a sudden decide to keep a hobby.
4. Keep your psychology straight and know this is a step for the better (post here a lot, talk to ppl who are ex-smokers, etc, etc)

:2c:
PS- as im ending this post, i just realized, im not sure at all if your goal is to quit analogs or not, sorry for any bad assumptions.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I feel like I am vaping more than I smoked. I used to smoke only 1/2 pack a day of menthol light. I am using 12 mg nic about one EVOD tank a day and wondering if I am getting more nic than when I was smoking.

I look at it a bit different. IMO nicotine is a small part of our addiction to cigarettes, at least for me. Looking at it another way, I don't think the nic we get from vaping is anywhere near as addictive as smoking is. I never worried about how much nic I was taking in when I started vaping, I just focused on quitting smoking. If I had to chain vape for a while to get through a pang for a smoke I did it. I've been vaping zero nic for almost a year now and I have absolutely no problem staying away from it.

That's been my experience, but I know it's been different for others. We are all our own experiment ;).

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Vaping doesn't equal cigarettes. Period.

:thumbs:Thumbs up to your post.

Everyone wants to compare vaping to smoking and it's actually two different things. When we smoked, we went to the store, bought our favorite brand, opened the package, lit a cigarette and smoked it for 5 minutes or so. We were stuck with the amount of nicotine in the cigarettes and we smoked a pack or as in my case 1 1/2 packs a day depending on what stressers triggered the habit.

Although we're blowing clouds of vapor, it is not smoke. We try different batteries, clearos/cartos/atomizers, flavors, amounts of nicotine or no nicotine. It is a totally different experience, and albeit some of us quit smoking cigarettes altogether, we do it (as in my case) because we enjoy the act of vaping more than we enjoyed the act of smoking.

To try to compare how much you have to vape in order to quit smoking is really a different measure for each individual. The bottom line is: Vape whatever amount it takes to eventually replace smoking cigarettes.

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
Maybe I am missing it.

But what does Tax on Tobacco have to do with Any of this?

Some bureaucrat is going to be tasked with calculating the "sin tax" for our precious e juice at some point. Because you know, everything is taxed eventually. And instead of actually doing any work they are going to "comparison rate" it. Kinda like how all punitive measures set out by the Federal Government for drugs are based off of equivalent in grams of .........

angstless

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
Detroit
I feel like I am vaping more than I smoked. I used to smoke only 1/2 pack a day of menthol light. I am using 12 mg nic about one EVOD tank a day and wondering if I am getting more nic than when I was smoking.

I vape 24mg constantly..but then I smoked constantly...and only wished the cigarettes were as long as Pinocchio's nose after a thousand lies

I always hated coming to the end of a cigarette...I never have to end my vaping....It is a match made in heaven :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Some bureaucrat is going to be tasked with calculating the "sin tax" for our precious e juice at some point. Because you know, everything is taxed eventually. And instead of actually doing any work they are going to "comparison rate" it. Kinda like how all punitive measures set out by the Federal Government for drugs are based off of equivalent in grams of .........

You may be right.

But I believe there is going to be a New Tax Structure created just for e-Liquids.

JMO

I still don't see how a Tax by Any Calculation pertains to this Thread. The questions and replies here are Hopefully based on Quantitative Values. And not just Numbers someone pulled out of their Azz.

Last edited:

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
I started vaping 2 to 3 ml a day at 24 mg/ml but still craved cigarettes so I went to the max 36 mg/ml for about 2 weeks then started backing off and now after 8 months I'm vaping 4mg/ml but I do find myself going through about 6ml of e-liquid per day.

I say don't sweat the amount of nic your currently using just pay attention to what your body is telling you and alter your nic level to suit, over time you can slowly reduce your nic level and maybe even down to zero.

I plan to be down to zero nic by christmas but I don't have any plans to stop vaping.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I recently had a friend count how many puffs they take on their stinky. They counted and came up with 14 puffs. So if you want to count your puffs or have a puff counter, you can figure it out. At least as far as puffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to my MPV 2, I filled an EVOD tank a full as possible (it has a 2.5 Ohm coil and vaped at 7.5 watts) and got 187 puffs by the time the liquid dipped below the sight window.

I didn't go until I had dry hits so I think it's safe to say an EVOD holds about 200 puffs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread