Not open for further replies.

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
Jazz hands. Nothing starts out a conversation with a smoker like jazz hands. It lightens the mood.

jazz-hands-gif-11.gif

Umm, that sounds more like a good way to get punched in the face, knocked down and repeatedly kicked in the junk.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I understand from most people's feedback that smoking is a smoker's private business and one should not approach a smoker. If anything the smoker should come to you and then you can explain to them whatever it is that you feel is possible to explain to them respectfully about electronic cigarettes and tell them your story.

This got me thinking. Why is it that other substances and alcohol have their own meetings where someone speaks and then they go around the room having people share their input and stories. Why cant we have such meetings for smokers - Smokers Anonymous? There we would have the opportunity to interact with the smokers that want to quit because they showed up to the meeting. That seems to me to be the most sensible way to interact with smokers that want to quit. Cigarettes are just as deadly as other substances. There are people dying every moment from cancer of cigarettes.

I dont know, maybe there are such meetings out there. If there are they are definitely not popular which amazes me. I do think that a Smoker's Anonymous would be very successful if implemented correctly. I'd love to hear what people think about this.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I've never heard about any SA meetings. think it is an excellent idea, just wonder about interest from actual smokers. When I smoked I wouldn't have gone to one. Might have more success having a town hall style of meeting to explain vaping. I'm sure there are some community centers out there that would open their doors.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I've never heard about any SA meetings. think it is an excellent idea, just wonder about interest from actual smokers. When I smoked I wouldn't have gone to one. Might have more success having a town hall style of meeting to explain vaping. I'm sure there are some community centers out there that would open their doors.
I think that there would be an interest from a large group of smokers, for the same reason that there is an interest in other support meetings. When one gathers around others who have a common interest and goal, it creates a natural bond between the people. A Smoker maybe not like the nagging of a stranger but it's different when many who gather to reach a common goal and solution.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
I understand from most people's feedback that smoking is a smoker's private business and one should not approach a smoker. If anything the smoker should come to you and then you can explain to them whatever it is that you feel is possible to explain to them respectfully about electronic cigarettes and tell them your story.

This got me thinking. Why is it that other substances and alcohol have their own meetings where someone speaks and then they go around the room having people share their input and stories. Why cant we have such meetings for smokers - Smokers Anonymous? There we would have the opportunity to interact with the smokers that want to quit because they showed up to the meeting. That seems to me to be the most sensible way to interact with smokers that want to quit. Cigarettes are just as deadly as other substances. There are people dying every moment from cancer of cigarettes.

I dont know, maybe there are such meetings out there. If there are they are definitely not popular which amazes me. I do think that a Smoker's Anonymous would be very successful if implemented correctly. I'd love to hear what people think about this.
The tobacco settlement included a quitline through the state health departments. They offer counseling, patches, gum, chantix, and other government approved quit methods. You WON'T hear them offer vaping as an officially approved quit method.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
The tobacco settlement included a quitline through the state health departments. They offer counseling, patches, gum, chantix, and other government approved quit methods. You WON'T hear them offer vaping as an officially approved quit method.
Those are government approved methods for quitting. But most of those methods don't usually work like vaping does in reality. In order to have group meetings one does not need the government's approval so it doesn't need to be run by the government. It's been proven that vaping is 95 percent safe. Therefore a group meeting('s) won't "necessarily" be about how one should be vaping instead of smoking but vaping wouldn't be ruled out as a smoking cessation, along with patches, gum, and chantix. I don't think that what the government is doing is as strong of a help as smokers coming together as one for a common purpose.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I don't know if this is a California thing but I've gotten used to vapers being treated like smokers, so I usually end up vaping with the smokers. Mostly at work as that's where I tend to run into people while vaping. I've gotten used to following smoker rules other than in my own home which I have kept smoke free since the 90's because I have kids. I do vape at will around the house. The conversation naturally comes up and the smoker is always the one who starts it. I've helped a lot of people find a set up to replace smoking just from those conversations. It's almost always someone who has already tried vaping but gave it up because they were sold a cloud chasing mod that didn't work for them.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Those are government approved methods for quitting. But most of those methods don't usually work like vaping does in reality. In order to have group meetings one does not need the government's approval so it doesn't need to be run by the government. It's been proven that vaping is 95 percent safe. Therefore a group meeting('s) won't "necessarily" be about how one should be vaping instead of smoking but vaping wouldn't be ruled out as a smoking cessation, along with patches, gum, and chantix. I don't think that what the government is doing is as strong of a help as smokers coming together as one for a common purpose.
Already exists :Nicotine Anonymous - Wikipedia, though vaping would definitely not be welcome there, as the group states: NicA maintains that total abstinence from nicotine is necessary for recovery... so there's THAT. also noted a lot of the alphabet agencies responsible for dis information cited in the article, make of that what you will, but yeah, it's already a thing.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I still think a face to face conversation, with a willing and open, or curious current smoker, is the best means to try to help one make the transition, or at least to give them a lifeline of vendor info, forum info, and general knowledge and personal success experience in a one on one basis. I would not go into a bar during a football game and try to explain to some bloated alcoholic why their choices are ruining their health, nor would I go to a smoking area and extol the virtues of vaping, you'll likely just turn them off even more, or win yourself a bloody nose.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Already exists :Nicotine Anonymous - Wikipedia, though vaping would definitely not be welcome there, as the group states: NicA maintains that total abstinence from nicotine is necessary for recovery... so there's THAT. also noted a lot of the alphabet agencies responsible for dis information cited in the article, make of that what you will, but yeah, it's already a thing.
So it would be like @Tonee N called it: Vapers Anonymous. For recovery, zero nicotine would be the optimum goal but nicotine consumption via vaping would still be encouraged to a smoker initially. We would all have a common purpose and therefore a special vaper's bond. I'm sure it would attract smokers:)

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
So it would be like @Tonee N called it: Vapers Anonymous. For recovery, zero nicotine would be the optimum goal but nicotine consumption via vaping would still be encouraged to a smoker initially. We would all have a common purpose and therefore a special vaper's bond. I'm sure it would attract smokers:)
I agree it may have some merit, but the principle foundation of all the anon groups, is total abstinence, and giving ones addiction over to a higher power...continued use of the very substance one is addicted to, even through a less harmful means, violates the very basic tenant of their belief system...it's just not ever going to be a good fit in that regard.

Edit, and the very name vapers anonymous, would imply the attempt to quit vaping.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
So at these meetings is smoking and vaping allowed?
I'd like to say that surely smoking would be allowed. That is because one of the primary goals is to attract the smoker and introduce vaping to their lives. The only thing that can be an issue is on the meeting break, many vapers don't like the smell of cigarettes or can crave from the smell. Just my opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread