Do you sometimes feel like a missionary when you vape around smokers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rzil

May 6, 2014
Israel
happened to me more than once that a smoker approached me and asked about my ecig , many of them were very misinformed about what is an ecig and where you buy the right ones , 1 guy even told me "Hey they don't sell those in Kiosks anymore" and I was shocked that he even looked for them there ? come on some people don't know how to google search stuff....

anyway , i was happy to give them some recommendation on a local vendor and showed them my ecig maybe it helped them who knows.

I say , Spread the word , no1 should smoke anymore

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I am the opposite. If someone wants to smoke let them smoke. If they ask, I talk to them about my vape. I personally enjoy going out to the smoking area. I like the second hand smoke smell. I can't stand the stale smoke smell.

There is nothing wrong with smoking. It is the same as alcohol, overeating and any other "vice" you wish to throw in there.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I think of myself as an advocate, and an educator-on-demand. When I'm out in public, I always carry an ecig, even if I'm not vaping. I hope someone will stop and ask me about it; then I'm happy to spend a few minutes explaining. I wouldn't approach a smoker and open a conversation, so I wouldn't consider myself a missionary, but I will speak up about vaping if someone is curious.

I also carry business cards from my local B&Ms, CASAA, ECF, and my favorite online vendors, and hand those out on demand as well.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
In many ways I do feel that way.

It's not so much that people shouldn't smoke, but I hope that they gain factual information of the vaping alternative, and make their choice to continue from that basis.

That's why I never ever begrudge someone asking questions about my vaping.

Many of my blog entries are about my early information sharing experiences with smokers & non-smokers alike.

Btw, don't let the ......, who'll be here soon enough, that accuse you/us of being in people's faces & pushing ourselves on innocent by-standers, get you down. That's what they'll read-into what we talking about, and get all sorts of "troll-ie on us. :glare:

Keep up the positive attitude, and spreading the facts & first-hand experiences with others.

And lastly, join CASAA, and check out the resources they have for helping provide good factual information.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I try to inform as best as I can.

However, there is one major issue that keeps nagging me. I use mechanical mods and gennies. Not to sound elitist, but it's not where I'd recommend anyone to begin. Hate telling people they should probably go for something "simpler", which in all honesty didn't work for me long term.

"Yeah it's great and works for me, but you should probably start with something that didn't work for me." Can't just say that to people. Nor do I want to lie and mislead people into spending money (and hopes) on stuff that may turn them off vaping forever.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B

However, there is one major issue that keeps nagging me. I use mechanical mods and gennies. Not to sound elitist, but it's not where I'd recommend anyone to begin. Hate telling people they should probably go for something "simpler", which in all honesty didn't work for me long term.

"Yeah it's great and works for me, but you should probably start with something that didn't work for me." Can't just say that to people. Nor do I want to lie and mislead people into spending money (and hopes) on stuff that may turn them off vaping forever.

My experience (my own, and w/ others) is that there's a learning curve w/ vaping. Most vapers I know started with cigalikes and then moved on to eGo-like devices. Some have then moved on to mods and APVs. But the cigalike experience seems to be a necessary first step into vaping for many, if not most.

Though I sometimes use a mod at home, I always carry an eGo when I'm out and about. Most people are familiar w/ cigalikes, so no dog and pony show needed there. I'll tell people to try a cigalike if that seems comfortable to them, but I'll always suggest they might do better to start w/ an eGo starter kit and some eliquid. No pressure, I just speak from my own experience and make suggestions.

rzil

May 6, 2014
Israel

I think that regardless if ego will work for them or not , you do the right thing by not recommending mechs , smokers are always looking for reasons not to stop and the first thing a smoker would say about mechs is "Dude that looks like a very difficult procedure"

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Yes, I've often felt like my trip from "heavy smoker" to "vaper" has been a sort of religious experience, in that I want to tell people about it. I often call my PV my "pocket sized miracle" or similar. I want to help smokers find their way to vaping, because it's been so good for me.

I go out two-stepping (country dancing) fairly often, and I vape in the bars. It's pretty common around here now, so not many ask, but when I first started, it wasn't nearly as well known, and people asked all the time. I was (and still am) happy to explain. I also vape in restaurants (though I usually go in the mid-afternoon and sit in a corner away from other people.)

Since I got off the cigs, I've carried business cards for local vape shops. In the past, I would often stop where someone was standing outside smoking, show them my PV, answer questions if they seemed interested, and give them business cards. I like to give them cards for two or three shops, and tell them that I don't work for any of those, I'm just an incredibly satisfied user who feels it's been a huge benefit to me. Most of the vape shops would give me a credit on my next purchase if a new person came in, bought a starter kit, and gave my name. I don't even write my name on the cards or tell the people who I am. I'm not doing it for financial reasons, and I don't want them thinking "He works for the shop" or "He gets a cut if I spend money" or anything similar.

When I first started, answering questions was an almost-every-day kind of thing. Now, there are a ton of vape shops around, and a lot more vapers, so most people are already at least a little bit familiar. It doesn't come up as much, and the discussion is likely much faster when they say "Yeah, I've heard about those" or similar.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Do you sometimes feel like a missionary when you vape around smokers?

Noper, all da time! I just let 'em approach me... then it's game on!!!
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread