Status
Not open for further replies.

nebulas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Earth
I seem to see a lot of negative comments about smokers on this forum. Most of us used to be smokers and if you were like me you probably despised people that would make little snide comments and gestures to us when we are smoking. When I was a smoker I always told myself that if I ever quit smoking I would never become one of those people. Even after I quit I would still let people smoke in my house because I always hated visting that friend who tries to quit smoking for a week and won't let you smoke in their house anymore and makes you go outside. I guess my point is that even though we no longer smoke and may not enjoy the smell of it, we should still be tolerant of other peoples freedoms. Being tolerant of something doesn't mean you have to like something, it just means tolerating it. I am not saying that you should let people smoke in your house but if you are going into a restaurant and have to walk through a big cloud of smoke to get in the front door, be a little tolerant. Just because we no longer smoke does not mean that we are better than those that do.

What are your opinions, feelings, and overall attitude towards smokers? If you hate them, then say so. You have every right to hate them, whether it be right or wrong.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I seem to see a lot of negative comments about smokers on this forum.
Either I'm not seeing these comments, or I don't consider the same things you do to be negative comments.
Not asking for specific examples, but can you offer any general examples of the kinds of comments you are talking about?

CrystalClaire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2011
NYC
What are your opinions, feelings, and overall attitude towards smokers? If you hate them, then say so. You have every right to hate them, whether it be right or wrong.

I don't hate smokers at all. I quit smoking to get healthier as well as avoid smoke. Thus, I won't step foot in a smokers house or car if they smoke there. I also avoid, to the best of my ability, being near anyone who's smoking. Just the smell of smoke makes me nauseous now.

When I smoked, I was a very polite smoker. I never smoked around non smokers and would never smoke near an entryway to a public establishment. I think it's rude.

LeDean

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Tennessee
www.mountainoakvapors.com
I see your point, but I don't think it's really meant to be a negative vibe towards smokers. I think it's more of an elation about finally being able to quit smoking. It's hard to be a smoker...and most feel hopeless when they try to quit and fail. (I know I did.) But, when you finally quit and you don't want another analog, you're just so proud of it. And the people around you are proud of it. I practically had bruising from all of the pats on the back that I got from friends and family. ;)

nebulas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Earth
I see your point, but I don't think it's really meant to be a negative vibe towards smokers. I think it's more of an elation about finally being able to quit smoking. It's hard to be a smoker...and most feel hopeless when they try to quit and fail. (I know I did.) But, when you finally quit and you don't want another analog, you're just so proud of it. And the people around you are proud of it. I practically had bruising from all of the pats on the back that I got from friends and family. ;)

I think you make a very good point.

JAY73

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
CLEBURNE TX
You all make great points, i guess in my town i am kinda the crack pot vaper cause i spread the word every where i go, i am never rude i always hated some one downing me cause i smoked non-smokers never got it as smokers we were told when and where we could smoke and people always looked down there noses at us it does not matter why we switched just that we did, so go forth and educate and convert as many smokers as we can!!
love peace & chicken grease...

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
Either I'm not seeing these comments, or I don't consider the same things you do to be negative comments.
Not asking for specific examples, but can you offer any general examples of the kinds of comments you are talking about?

You're clearly blocking them out, because they're everywhere. "Stinkies" and whatnot. The constant slamming, condescending remarks about smoking are everywhere in sight on ECF.

I hope people realize that vaping and smoking WILL and ARE viewed as related to the general public. The more we slam smoking the more we're slamming vaping in those people's eyes. We need to politely recruit the smokers, not insult them and bully them into quitting and vaping.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
my attitude is i would rather not be by them if i can help it. in my area smoking within a certain range of entrances to businesses is prohibited, and it's a huge .... move to treat it like a smoking area.
i was a somewhat polite smoker, so i don't see why everyone just doesn't exercise discretion and courtesy. smoking was never really allowed in my house, and i now live in a nonsmoking building. tbh i find it more offensive the fact my building is a non-smoking one is more respected than my wish for others to not smoke inside my home. in my previous building the neighbors chain smoked so fierce MY apartment smelled like stale smoke.
just no thanks. if anyone is to be offended by this, maybe they should experience nonvoluntary suffocation sometime.
as for the non-smoker in training not wanting anyone to smoke inside, i believe sovereignty of one's own home wins out. it's a pretty lingering smell, and will likely trigger cravings if it's just comfortably permeating a living area. it'd be pretty gracious of them to allow a guest to do that.

Last edited:

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I don't feel that I should have to apologize for the fact that I'm really glad I'm not smoking anymore. Half the reason was the smell. I was tired of the looks from people and being ostracized for a habit I had that I was unable to quit. The other half of the reason was that I live with someone who has COPD and I listen to her fight to breath every single night. Sorry, that's the reality of smoking for me.

Sometimes the self talk (like 'stinkies' or the reasons you wanted to quit in the first place) prevents you from picking up a cigarette again. They realize this is an important part of recovery in AA (reminder of the bad) and there's no reason why it shouldn't assist people with quitting smoking too.

I realize I may be a battery charge from being a smoker again, but thankful everyday that I'm not smoking today. If I need to remind myself why I hated it so much, so be it. Personally, I don't care about the general public. If a smoker asks me about vaping, I'm more than happy to tell them about it. I assume most people are reading or posting here because they want to quit smoking or cut down for any number of reasons. I have family members that still smoke. I don't throw vaping in their face or even bring it up. I smoked in my house and still allow them to smoke in my house (even though I don't really like it- but understand it). If the time comes where they want to I'll assist them. What I won't do is apologize for the fact that I'm glad I don't. For the life of me, I can't understand why they won't at least try it.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I know what you mean. I will never say people can't smoke in my house or car even if it does bother me. When I did smoke I rarely ever went to someones house who didn't smoke. I love my friends and family to much to make them feel alienated in my presence. I can't stand people who think they are better than anyone else. We all bleed red..

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I don't see it aimed at smokers but there is some aimed at smoking. That's what some people have to do to quit. It's only a problem when they let it become irrational anti-ness.
If that was what I had to be I'd go back to smoking. Antis have driven me off quitting before because I didn't want to be like them. (This thread is the most I've ever seen vapers acting like antis, BTW.)

However I will give my smoking friends crap, especially if I have to go outside to vape in their "stink". It's all in good fun. If I wanted to really compete against their dirty sweat sock smelling cigarettes I could easily load up a bowl of latakia tobacco with perique and produce something that smells like camel dung.
I don't really mind their sweat sock smelling cigarettes, vaping is better so it doesn't tempt me.

CCC

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Australia
Well i never smoked inside my own house, and i would consider it extreemly rude if someone wanted to smoke inside my house. I do keep an ashtray out the back for visiting smokers to use, and i do tell them that they should quit, but i tell them in a nice way because i love them and want them to be around. My hubby still smokes and yeah i have probably laid it on a bit thick when it comes to trying to get him to quit but everything i say is true and from my heart, i let him know kissing him is like licking an ashtray, it probably hurts his feelings, but it is tough love and the truth.

Snus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Massachusetts
I have also noticed comments that make it seem like smokers aren't all that welcome here.... Maybe that is putting it a little too strongly.... Does it make me "bad" if I choose to have an analog once in a while? Should I have to hide it if I want to be accepted in the vaping community? What about smokers who are interested in vaping? We certainly wouldn't want to turn them off and make them think we are a bunch of haters..... Is it really all or nothing? Both are nicotine delivery systems. The more I vape, the less I want a ciggy. My vapes taste great, while the ciggys taste icky.... Maybe if we are spreading a message that it's OK to do both at the same time, more people would try it out. If they get guidance on a good starter kit and are lucky enough to find some flavors they like, I think they would end up vaping more and smoking less, if at all....I don't think they should have the attitude that they MUST stop altogether right now! Or, that if they have an analog, they have fallen off the wagon. I think that would only lead them to believe they are hopeless and just give up on vaping altogether.... that is probably the worst thing they could possibly take away from these forums....

Success stories are great and I am very happy for all those who have totally made the switch. But, we are all still nicotine users, except those of us who vape 0 nic.... Just my opinion.....

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
The Vapedom of Pennsylvania is allied with the Tobacco Users Guild; we share common enemies and common dreams (the right to intake into our bodies that which we please). The anti-s & the self-righteous do not care about the differences between analog & digital, and they will persecute our peoples as one and the same.

CheekyMonkey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Florida
You're clearly blocking them out, because they're everywhere. "Stinkies" and whatnot. The constant slamming, condescending remarks about smoking are everywhere in sight on ECF.

I hope people realize that vaping and smoking WILL and ARE viewed as related to the general public. The more we slam smoking the more we're slamming vaping in those people's eyes. We need to politely recruit the smokers, not insult them and bully them into quitting and vaping.

[/QUOTE]

I called them stinkies when I was still a smoker!I openly admit to calling cigarettes "stinkies" now. I don't think it's derogatory, to me it's a simple statement of fact. They stink.

I thought they stunk just about every day for 17 years while smoking at least pack a day (for a few years it was more like 2-3pks a day). They made my clothes stink, my car stink, and my breath stink. For a while they even made my house stink, but I stopped smoking inside years before I quit smoking - and no, I won't allow smoking in my house or car now. It's a personal preference, and I keep an ashtray on the balcony for the friends who DO still smoke.

I don't think the term "stinkies" is generally used as a "slam" against smokers, just a statement of fact. In my opinion, cigarette smoke does stink 99.9% of the time. The other 0.1%, I think it smells wonderful, and might ask for a puff from the friend who is smoking - I've had 4 puffs of a cigarette since January. Each puff has validated my decision to vape and remain smoke free, and made my throat hurt for a day or two after.

If my friends choose to continue smoking, so be it. I can educate them about vaping, and encourage them to try vaping, but they know I don't look down on them for still using the stinkies, and will still join them on my balcony, vaping while they smoke. I don't bully, harass, or attempt to intimidate my friends to quit. If they want to try vaping, they know I'll help them.

This sort of reminds me of a situation where I worked once.
The was a rumor, from a good source, that they were going to ban smoking at the plant where I worked.
All of us smokers were starting to get a little angry. Then I looked around the room and the guys that rub/chew were all kicked back without a care in the world.
I asked them, "Doesn't that upset you guys also?"..."Nope, we don't smoke" was the general reply.
"You should, because if they ban smoking, rubbing & chewing would be next."
They still didn't seem to mind.
I had a better job offer soon after and took it leaving that plant.
1 year later, I ran into one of those rub/chewers at the store. He made it a point to tell me that I was right.
They banned "all" tobacco products on their property and you have to get in your car during breaks and leave the parking lot.

I work with many smokers now and they even smoke in the break rooms at work. I don't say anything about them smoking, but they sure have a lot of comments about my vaping.
None of them can stand the smell of me vaping, no matter what juice I use.
It either smells way to sweet or like anti-freeze they will say.
I politely remind them that their analogs smell like burning chemicals. That usually ends the conversation and we go back to doing our own thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread